1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's Popularity on the Upswing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama started the race war huh? You got to be joking.

Hate to break it to you, but there were a few factors:

1. smart phones and the ability for people to record the police and post to youtube.
    2. A series of incidents that garnered national attention.

Trying to spin this into a media-Obama conspiracy just shows how insane the right has become. Funny thing is I use to be a moderate. I actually voted for Perot in 1992. But it was the crazies that pushed me to the left.

Clinton wasn't a liberal, he was a moderate. So was Obama - they are new democrats. What's happening in the political landscape, what you nuts don't realize is that the democrats are becoming the moderate party and Republicans the radical party.

Spew all you want, but things are about to shift in a way that will surprise you if you keep your blinders on. It's not good for the country to be so radical and estrange the middle of the country against one party. But it is happening.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is not rational.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump's rhetoric is already offending allies and trading partners already and he hasn't even won the nomination. A Trump presidency I don't think will get much done legislative wise but if Trump even attempts to follow through with some of his rhetoric will do a lot of damage to US international relations at a time when the US needs global cooperation to deal with various threats. His comments targeting trading partners and also protectionist rhetoric could spark a trade war that will end up hurting the US economy in the long term.

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...-14/in-trump-the-world-sees-the-ugly-american

#63 rocketsjudoka, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Here's 6 pages of broken promises from Obama. Do you think it's possible that Trump's rhetoric is much of the same? Saying what needs to be said to get elected like Obama did.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/?page=1

Many of these broken promises were due to heavy partisanship opposition so not 100% Obama's fault. However, those promises came from his quotes and only he is responsible for his words.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is too funny, the voters on the right are far more irrational by voting against self interest most of the time.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Obama needed 6 pages, Trump will need 600.

7. ipaman

True but point stands. Every single one of these folks is politicking, giving themselves what they think is the best chance to win. None of them (except maybe bernie) actually thinks they can do what they claim they can.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Politics is a game. I don't understand when people get upset when a candidate starts playing. Even as a militant atheist, when a democrat I like, like Obama, starts talking about god and Jesus and how important religion is, I stand up and applaud and yell 'AMEN!' Pander to those groups, solidify your power and then win.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Would it really matter if America is "grate agin?"

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What's the metric for grate or great?

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

A light meter?

12. ipaman

no one wins in a trade war, however... USA economy would be wounded but walk away from the ashes. China and the rest of the economies would be the ashes.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

AND FOLKS, WE HAVE A WINNER! THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST LOAD OF ONE-SIDED, UNTRUTHFUL HORSE**** TO EVER BE POSTED IN THE HISTORY OF CLUTCHFANS.COM. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except Trump's not even in office yet. He's not even won the nomination and he's damaging the US reputation. If he get's into office there will be a lot of work to do to patch up things with allies and trading partners and even then there is no guarantee that he will.

This isn't the 1940's when every other industrialized country was devastated by war except for the US. Further the US isn't a creditor country anymore but a debtor country. The global economy is far more interconnected than at anytime in history and is only getting more so. The idea that the US can just walk from the ashes of a trade war is very questionable.

Just on a side note it's interesting hearing this because many Chinese nationalists say that the PRC could withstand a trade or a shooting war, presumably non-nuclear, than the US could because the Chinese have dealt with greater hardship than the US has.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also besides what damage Trump might do on the foreign policy stage the other danger with Trump that we see already is that his campaign is a cult of personality. Many support Trump primarily because of his outsider take no prisoners, FU, attitude. This is what Trump has always been about is about Trump. While it takes a certain amount of megalomania to run for President Trump has taken this to the extreme.

Looking at Trump's history there is nothing about him that would indicate that he has or will be for more than anything than self-aggrandizement. This is the guy who makes sure to put his name on every business venture and in giant letters.

The Presidency is the most powerful position in the US but it has been clear that since the days of Washington the individual is secondary to the office. That is why officially the President is only to be addressed as "Mister President". For someone like Trump I have a hard time seeing him subsuming himself to the office. Frankly I don't put it beyond him to use the power of the office for both personal enrichment and also to pursue enemies. He's already talked about changing the libel laws to go after journalist who he doesn't like. What's to stop him from using the power of the executive branch to do so.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Lol. You are so clueless you don't even realize who I was replying to. How can I take anything else in your post seriously???? I replied to DaDakota, not Dubious. Epic fail Deckard. Please try harder!!!!!

17. cml750

cml750 Member

Dang, I thought I put you ignore since you have never posted ANYTHING that makes any sense and this post is on par for your standards. To call democrats moderates when they have gone bat **** crazy left is an epic fail. Try again!!!!

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

heehee. It really is a full time job correcting the ridiculous nonsense that conservative media pushes on a daily basis. It has been incredible the hyperbole and just flat out lies perpetuated the last 7 years. It's really just unprecedented in my lifetime. The GOP and conservatives have created an ignorant, angry monster of an electorate. Now their reality show, ignoramus, Mussolini candidate is on the verge of representing their party in a Presidential election by pushing a racist, nationalist, violent tough guy agenda bereft of policy details that may well destroy the viability of the Republican Party for a generation. Question is will Republicans learn their lesson or continue to, as is their recent history, double down on stupid and bring us closer to an actual civil war.