1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Mock Draft - Texans 1st Round v 4.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 20, 2016.

?

Who will the Texans pick in the 1st?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2016.
  1. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

12.9%
  2. Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech

9.7%
  3. Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor

25.8%
  5. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

6.5%
  6. Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

9.7%
  7. Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

9.7%
  8. Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

4.8%
  9. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

14.5%
  10. Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

6.5%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Milos

Milos Member

Was looking back at my attempt last year mocking the Texans draft, posted here on 3/19/15 (see below)
    Also pick #s included a trade down or 2 that did not happen, so disregard

Think I did pretty well overall:

- I nailed HOU taking WR Strong, but I had him going in the 1st, so great job by BoB to move up and grab him in 3rd
    He's the main reason I don't see us taking WR in 1st this year ... my pick for our breakout player of 2016

- Also was right on MLB in 2nd, but I preferred more of a speed/coverage guy than another stiff Cush thumper type
    I wanted Paul Dawson and Eric Kendricks way more than McKinney
    Dawson went in 3rd to Bengals, where he was a training camp star before 'redshirting' on special teams ... still think he'll be really good when he gets a shot
    Kendricks went to MIN 2 picks after we took McKinney, so we could have had him ... all he did was become immediate starter for Vikings and make PFWA's All-Rookie team

- My biggest miss was RB Mike Davis in 3rd
    He ended up going in 4th to SF, where he was a total zero as a rookie
    Might still become something, but I'd much rather get Kevin Johnson in 1st + Strong in 3rd than Strong + Davis in my scenario
    Also - I thought at the time if they were going corner at #16, both Peters and Darby were better choices than Johnson ... so far, I'd still take both over Kevin, but it's pretty close
    I also really wanted Cam Erving at #16 ... so ... whoops

- Not much better on next pick for me either ... I wanted HOU to reach for CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in 4th
    He did not play at all after CLE took a flyer on him in 7th, and recently signed with MIA after his release from Browns
    Maybe he can regain his 1st-RD form with Dolphins eventually, but would have been a major waste of a pick last year that instead became a trade for Strong

- I nailed it again with 2 Diggs in 5th & 6th
    I've loved WR Stefon Diggs since HS, and I had Texans taking him at #144 ... he went #146 to MIN instead
    Again, all he did for Vikings was make PFWA's All-Rookie team
    Instead, we got WR Mumphrey in 5th
    Would you rather have Kendricks + Diggs or McKinney + Mumphrey? Yeah ... me too
    Pre-draft, I could not believe CB Quandre Diggs was universally projected as a Day 3 pick
    He ended up going in 6th to DET ... where he performed, in his rookie season, as the 26th-best CB in the NFL last year (according to PFF)
    We picked ... OLB Reshard Cliett in 6th, 11 picks after Diggs ... major miss

- TE EJ Bibbs was just 7th flyer who ended up signing with CLE as UFA
    Barely played at all and doesn't look like anything going forward, but at least he managed to stay on an NFL roster through his rookie year ...
    RB Kenny Hilliard never made it out of camp as HOU pick in 7th

3. Milos

Milos Member

So now I'll go on record for my ideal 2016 Houston Texans draft class (assuming no trades this time):

#22 (1) - TE Hunter Henry
    Might be a bit of a reach here, but I don't see any way he gets past Packers at #26, and I really want him on this team
    I think he can become our Texans' Gronk, the way BoB intended CJ to become as the first pick of the 3rd two years ago
    Already outstanding in 3 key skills: Run Blocking, Hands & Athleticism
    The gap between Henry and the rest of this TE class is massive IMO, probably as wide a gap as there is between Elliott and the rest of the RBs, or the best player at any position in this class and the rest
    After Henry, the dropoff to Hooper/Vannett/etc is precipitous, and unlike a WR, I want to take a guy who can help the passing and running games
    It's not that I think he's better as a TE than other WR or DL prospects that should be on the board here ... I just think the depth at other key positions of need is much better in the class in later rounds

#52 (2) - S Karl Joseph
    Desperately praying that 1 of elite WR group (Doctson/Shepherd/Fuller) falls this far, and I'd really consider moving up even higher to make sure we get 1 of them
    Beyond those 3 (and Treadwell), I don't like any other WR in the class in top 50
    I'd also love to see a 1st-RD D-Lineman slide down this far (see next pick), but I don't want to reach for Calhoun or somebody like that here either
    So instead, I'm looking for best secondary prospect on the board here, either CB or S
    If Joseph is still around, I'm all over him
    Love the intangibles and versatility ... when healthy, he reminded me more of Eric Berry than any college Safety since the original
    A corner like Artie Burns, or a hybrid like Kendall Fuller would also be just fine with me, but I could see Joseph blossoming into the versatile leader of our secondary that has been missing since Glover left

#85 (3) - DT Jonathan Bullard
    If somehow Butler, Nkemdiche, or Chris Jones were still on the board at #52, I'd prefer all 3 over anybody else there, but I don't see it
    Instead, waiting for Bullard here seems like great value for a really good player just a notch below that upper-tier group
    Excellent tackler, great effort and instincts, decent athlete ... and eventual replacement for Crick as starting DL

#119 (4) - S Miles Killebrew
    My early sleeper isn't so sleepy anymore, to the point that I'm not even sure he'll still be here in 4th
    The Human ICBM destroys everything in his path, is fast and powerful, and should probably get his first look in camp at SS ... but ...
    I'm actually taking him with the long-term idea of moving him to ILB on passing downs as part of nickel/dime sub-packages
    Both the Cards (Buchanon) and Rams (Barron) have found success recently with this transition, and Killebrew is from the same mold
    Plus ... Demps makes me sad

#159 (5) - C Jack Allen
    No need to use premium pick in finding replacement for Ben Jones at C in this class
    Tuerk, Glasnow & Beohm figure to all be around well into Day 3, but Allen is my guy out of that group
    Incredible anchor strength in lower body and excellent hand technique that usually come with a wrestler background
    Not an immediate starter, but doesn't have to be with Bergstrom on board as bridge for 2016

#166 (5) - RB CJ Prosise
    Love the upside here, and the lack of mileage that comes with a recent transition to RB from less punishing position
    I'd also be all about Aaron Green and Keith Marshall as late options to challenge Blue for backup carries behind Lamar

#195 (6) - WR Charone Peake
    Jaydon Mickens was also very tempting here, but I chose to go with upside so late
    Megastar measurables made him a super recruit out of HS ... also reportedly very smart with good character
    Injuries and superstar competition for reps at Clemson (Watkins, Bryant, Hopkins) left him a late-round project
    Could be a steal with #1 starter potential if he ever puts it together ... maybe former teammate Nuke can help teach him to catch

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not unless we traded back. Ideally, to me, we would trade back late first, get an extra third, and take Shepard.

5. Milos

Milos Member

Same scenario (trade back for extra 3rd) ...
    Don't you think getting TE Hunter Henry helps the team more than any WR picked this high?

- Adding THE BEST at a position of greater need
    Nuke/Strong/Shorts >>>>> CJ/Griffin

- Getting premier player that helps Passing AND Running game simultaneously
    Vs WR which does nothing for running game or protecting Brock

Just wondering ...

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Miles Killebrew is the guy that every team has that drives me crazy - he's the guy that tries to blow everybody up with every hit, never wraps up for an actual tackle, and ends up missing way too often, resulting in glancing blows that barely bother the ball carrier.

There is nothing as disheartening as seeing a guy whiff on a monster hit, while the ball carrier runs another 20 yards down the field. Punishing the ball carrier should never be more important than actually making the tackle. My favorite safety in the draft is the exact opposite, Justin Simmons. He's a great open field tackler, who always wraps his man up and makes sure he is tackled without fanfare.

Killebrew can generate some impressive highlight reels when he connects cleanly.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's important to note that you're talking about adding "THE BEST" in this class, not "THE BEST" there is. TE's often take a while to show what they can do and right now CJ Fiedorowicz has shown to be a good blocker and has shown potential as a receiver. Griffin is nothing as a blocker, but he did pretty well as a receiver when he was in games, they just didn't target TE's that much and you have to factor in the sub par QB play they had to deal with.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Also, I think our tight ends have suffered from underwhelming quarterbacking. A better quarterback, which we hopefully have now, will take advantage of those tight ends a lot more often, exploiting mismatches.

I think a deep threat beside Hopkins and Strong really opens this offense up. I think our tight ends are adequate with upside, which is basically what Henry is. I don't have a problem grabbing someone like Nick Vannett in the fourth, though. I'd love that, actually.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I was watching NFL network most of the weekend and they had a pretty interesting comparison of Gronk and "the Harvard Bronk" Ben Brauneker. If that ends up being true we could get him in the 5th.

Im still on board with best lineman (Offense or Def) followed by Shepard or Boyd if they are there, and then looking at TE's, Allen (I agree), Procise, Wright, Peake...

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Props to charlieaustin, Colt45, Commodore, oelman44, Ottomaton, and the shark for getting this one right.