1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Want to go to Con in Dallas, never been there or travelled on my own

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Aug 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I want to go to a gaming convention called Retropalooza in Arlington, TX. Specifically, the Arlington Convention Center on Sep 20-21. I've never been to the Dallas and have never travelled on my own out of town in my life (I'm 19). First, what's the cheapest (I want everything the cheapest!) bus ticket, cheapest quality hotel, and any survival tips in general? It's just going to be me. Around how much would the spending be? Thanks!

Con website is www.retropalooza.net if anyone is interested.

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

And I want to be back the next day as I have school Monday.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You can cruise up there with me in my van. I have a mattress in the back.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Take the high-speed rail and then take a taxi to the Con. Sleep in the alley next to the convention center.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Go to hotels.com or expedia.com (there might be better sites) to get a listing of close hotels and their rates. You've possibly waited to late to get a really cheap rate, and the less you spend the farther you'll be and more you'll have to rely on figure out transportation. Go to the Dallas mass transit site to plan your routes from the Greyhound station to your hotel, then to the convention itself. Basically be proactive and start planning, without your own car or enough for plane travel and a decent hotel you're really going to need to map this out to not get lost or screwed over.

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I'm not talking about like a Hilton or Marriot, just something small and cheaper like a Days Inn or something. So Greyhound is the cheapest though? I hear the Megabus or something costs very little if you buy the ticket ahead of time, but I'm not sure how it works.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Arlington is all about Cooper St. You can get that UT-A booty at the mall they have there.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

by 19 I had flown all over the country by myself and was living on my own.

I think I traveled to Dallas with some friends at that age for a Jane's Addiction concert. thank god I didn't have to crowdsource our plans on the internet.

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

some of us dont have that kind of money at 19

10. across110thstreet

lol. I never said I had money at that age. I'm saying I drove and flew by myself and didn't need someone to hold my hand when I traveled.

11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

how cute ..gonna go all the way to another town and travel like a big boy .. make sure and call mommie everyday

1 person likes this.
  12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Nice try, it's only for one day :grin:

13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Lol so asking for tips is now considered holding one's hand? And what do you need to fly/get a car? If you want to sound smart at least use that organ between your ears. Better yet if some of you won't contribute something helpful why waste your time? Looks to me like some of you need a life. :eek:

14. across110thstreet

said the guy who wants to attend a gaming convention by himself.

to fly or drive a car somewhere, you need to have basic life skills and common sense to save enough money for your trip. it's pretty simple.

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

First off that made no sense. I'm going to a big convention in another city and what are you doing? Sitting there making useless posts. So... :confused:

And some of us aren't rich white people that can just "save" money to buy a car or get a plane ticket. Lots of people ride the bus. Hop off dude, I'm looking for people that will actually provide helpful information based off their experiences, not people that are wasting my time.

16. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

H-Town's Finest.

H-Town Bandit.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You would have had a better reaction if you started your thread with "Does Anyone Else...?" or "Am I the only one...?".

18. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Mega bus will drop you off in Grand Prairie for around $20 round trip. You'll be maybe 10miles from Arlington.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You do not want to go to the dfw area without a car because it is going to cost you bunch to get around. It is less public transportation friendly than houston. Other than that, the cheapest hotels will be on priceline or hotwire.

I wwould find someone who has a car to go with you and split the hotel and gas money with you.

20. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Once you're there you can call Uber for a ride to Arlington. If you've never used Uber here is my code for up to $30 free

https://www.uber.com/invite/vt57bv (Use UberX)

That should get you to Arlington for free.