1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dmo would need 20 more lbs. to be a competitive starting C. He can be great change of pace C for 15 minutes and outrun the other #2 C and he can be a real good PF paired with a good rebounding C.

Tjones needs a couple of inches to be a competitive starting PF. But he is a great PF off the bench adding energy and defense.

get well D12!

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow both sidea are acting like idiots. Both players have great strengths and great weakenesses. We should be happy we have both and can play the other when one is playing badly.

I love dmo offensive game. But his lack of rebounding is bad.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Dmo's second half was embarrassingly bad. badly missed on a few hooks and putbacks, lackadaisical defense, and bonehead turnover (then just stood there looking down as the Griz converted). If I was McHale I would hve ripped him a new one...

I hate risking team chemistry but we have to bring McGee in.

4. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

The last couples of games showed how D-Mo still has a loooooong way to go. It's totally unacceptable that he is not rebounding more considering his size. You're 7 ft tall, jump! He should be dominating the paint. Be more aggressive. Stop settling for layups and dunk the freaking ball for once. His defense definitely needs improvement. It's pretty awful watching him get scored-on again and again. He also needs to stop (or at least limit) falling down. I know he's trying to draw a foul but the refs doesn't bite often.

I always rooted for him and his progress this season has been great but please D-Mo toughen up!

Go Rockets!

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

D-Mo has regressed bad on defense. Lots of bad habits from before coming back.

This is year 3 for D-Mo and Jones. They aren't perfect players by any stretch, but that doesn't mean they are going to stop improving.

D-Mo was awesome earlier in the year defensively. I think its possible for him to get that back, and improve again. On the boards, Its all habit, and mental. He's always been naturally an objective rebounder so he's got to fight through those habits of avoiding the glass, and not being disciplined to block out his man.

D-Mo and Jones are still the future for this team at the 4/5. But the present D-Mo/Jones need Dwight back ASAP and the team really would be nowhere defensively without Smith.

Those two guys, and D-Mo especially, need to improve dramatically on the defensive end in the future if this team is going to be successful around Harden after the Dwight prime years.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Is Morey going to pay both? I think we will have to choose one of them to pay if we can't get out from Howard's contract. Or if we want to keep JSmith.

Next year we try to pick up a real back-up center. And continue to develop Capela.

7. basketballholic

No. Morey isn't going to pay both. And he might not pay either one.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think DMo is passive because every bump or nudge by him is a foul. They aren't going to let some perfectly sized 7fter come and shine and revert the game back to the old days. The NBA has an agenda for that not to happen for some reason.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

People used to blame LOF is the worst thing ever happened to CF.

The fact is : LOF doesn't come to here because of Lin.

LOF is everywhere and exist since human being was born.

There are always this group of people want to hear what they believe, what they think and what they imagine,

but rather what are the facts.

When the reality hit, they will be upset and turn to attack others but rather look at the facts and think.

Of course, these people will keep continue to find excuses and explanation to tell themselves : NO, these are not the facts, these are individual, exceptional, out of norm, probably happened by arrangement / agenda to make it failed.

Its sad, but its human nature.

As I said before, when these people at some points finally realize the facts are there and their dream will finally shattered.

That's where the hate coming from.

Not the people whose telling the facts.

It's also amazing how people suddenly realize or turn to Dmo after just one game.

And again, as I said before, scoring is always easy to be appreciated, and more will be forgiven when you can score.

Because its easy to see and pretty.

When your offense failed, its also easy for people to turn on you on everything.

Dmo last game is a good example, same as for Bev this season.

The facts remains :

1. Dmo's progress this season - offensively, remains to be one of the biggest surprise for the Rockets, many people was prepared to write him off before the season started. FACT : he is a 3 years player entering this season and the Rockets sent him to play the summer league while TJ was not.

2. Dmo was given more chances to success than TJ since his rookie years, there is no doubt about it. His advantage is his size and size matters in this league. It doesn't matters what is your real position on the floor, but if you are a big man with 7 FT, there are some responsibilities always will tie to you when people will judge your performance, such as rebound and block shoot, because these are the natural criteria for any big man's defense evaluation. Its fair to say : Dmo had been very disappointed on these area since he came to this league.

3. His fouling problem exist since his rookie year, no matter if you check the stats or actually watch the game. He did not improve much in these area. Like someone mentioned, he got lots of touchy foul which is pretty dumb for big man to spend on. And someone also called out my "r****ded statement" of "dislike Dmo to have more charges called because that's not a good thing", well, Rockets broadcast yesterday also mentioned the same thing : they would like to see a 7 FT big man jumping up vertically instead of trying to take a charge.

So obviously I am not alone on this point.

4. If people will label whoever pointed out that Dmo's defense is bad as the haters, well that makes the Rockets coaching staffs are all Dmo haters. It's also a fact that McHale subbing him out in the final stretch of the game when we need to play with some traditional big man C, yesterday was TJ against Gasol and several games ago it was Josh against Lopez. If center is not a natural position for Dmo and hence this can be his excuse for the poor performance, think about Josh and TJ then.

5. In fact, most people doesn't realize this : Dmo is a much smarter player than TJ. In a lots of the set play that McHale called, Dmo is the one who will come out to set picks, not only for Harden, but most importantly, also for other players who will make a cut or switch, he will set a pick and result in a wide open 3. Again, size matters and this is his advantage and he executed his part the best in all Rockets players.

But as I said, he is not the one who will put the ball into the basket, so it was not appreciated by many people.

6. So in conclusion, should we expect to see any improvements on Dmo's defense? I doubt it but it doesn't mean it won't happen. Hey I did not expect his jump on offense this year also, so there is still hope.

But personally my bet is on him being a serviceable big man with very decent offense and smart, good passing but also a below average defender in his career.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny how you hear about how DMo has "regressed" when it's obvious that he wasn't going to perform as well while playing out of position. Put any of the PF's on the team as the starting 5 and they'd struggle too. If he was back playing his real position I'd be willing to bet the "regression" would vanish.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

not much of an excuse. smith and TJ have been guarded and go against opposing 4/5's throughout all their games. these positions have been interchanged and constantly switch throughout the game.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know you know better. Playing one or two minutes against a center a few seconds at a time is a LOT different than being the starting center and having that assignment all game long. Of course, you know that so we can move on. If either Jones or Smith were at all capable of that assignment, they'd have it instead of DMo. He's the most competent player at playing the 5 so he gets the tough assignment. They even played Joey Dorsey yesterday to ensure Jones and Smith didn't have to play the 5 very often.

13. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I think they did that because Dmo was in foul trouble and Jones needed to come out for a breather. But i agree with you that Dmo will be fine and will look better once Dwight takes the 5 role and Dmo takes the 4.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Jopatmc is practically BEGGING us to ask him to explain. I vote that we don't give him the satisfaction.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DMo - lacks Strength and Technique
    I think working with Hakeem on rebounding and defense would work wonders for him

Rocket River

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight Howard returning and him going back to his natural spot at the starting 4 will work wonders for him.....should help our bench too.

17. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Should've traded for a center, D-Mo is too weak for it and it's currently hurting us more than it's gaining us.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You expect DMO to do better against

A. Davis
    B. Griffin
    L Aldridge
    T. Duncan
    Z.Randolph
    D. Nowitzki
    S. Ibaka

Than against Centers?

Rocket River

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. PF's do better against PF's than centers...if that wasn't the case they'd be centers.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

A lot of you want him to be a legit center, but why? We don't need talented young player to become one. I rather have him develop as a power-forward in this league since we have legit center who is not going anywhere next couple of season. I mean, we should compare him to Dirk and stick with that. Same height, both lacks strenght to guard true centers, both have issues defensively, both have good range and offensive game.

DMo improved from behind the arc a lot, 11/19 in last 5 games and 36.1% this season. This season is his first as a true starter and from now one he would only improve. Stats by both, Nowitzki and DMo of first year as a true starters on their team and you can clearly see similarities.

[​IMG]

I don't say he is the next Dirk, but we should go that way. Stop trying to make him backup center smh.