1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That says almost nothing. I wouldn't be shocked if we could find someone on CF that would be a better QB than Hoyer.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kapernick, actually, and Odell Beckham were also both guys who totally made their draft stock at the Senior Bowl as well.

That having been said, it is pretty clear to me that O'Brien has no interest in highly athletic but raw QB's. He would much rather have a guy with mediocre physical skills but a well developed mental grasp of the intricacies of the position. Personally, I'd be shocked if O'Brien had any interest in Kap.

After the senior bowl, most of the experts that spoke on Kap said he needed 3 or 4 yrars of learning before touching the ball in a game that counts. Harbaugh may have sacrificed his log term success for the short term success.

Braxton Miller benefits from his size/weight and the fact that he was on a team with so much talent that his coach didn't have to overwhelm him with work in order at the new position to win. Also, he was a super-blue chipper out of HS. IF Cecil Shorts can get picked in the 4th round out of Mountain Union to move from QB to WR, it should be easier for a guy who had a HS blue chip rep and went to Ohio State, right?

Going off memory here, but I think the issue with both Donald and Dorsett were size. Donald was 6-1, 288, which is tiny by current NFL standards. IIRC, he hadn't played any 1st tier O-linemen in college, and the concern was that he was a guy who could dominate at the college level, but faced with a whole nother level of pro athlete, he would be overwhelmed. Then he dominated a bunch of top quality guys at the Senior Bowl

Here's his combine writeup for NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aaron-donald?id=2543485

[rquoter]
    Weaknesses Marginal height and frame is nearly maxed out. Hands are more active than strong -- could play with more pop and power. Overpowered in the run game and ground up by double teams. Gets snared and controlled by bigger, longer blockers. Not a two-gap player. Has some tweener traits -- lacks ideal length and bend to play outside.

Draft Projection Rounds 4-5
    [/rquoter]

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'm very sure Odell's stock was high before the senior bowl. I didn't/don't watch that game, but google tells me he wasn't on the roster or the box score for the senior bowl.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I thought Odell left as a junior??

5. conquistador#11

ahh yes, but would said poster know the system? :p

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah that's the real question.

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Vernon Adams? He should be available late, and he's more ready than most of the other guys available. He played very well when he wasn't hurt for the Ducks last year.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eagles are not expected to use franchise tag on QB Sam Bradford, per league sources, though they still have some interest in re-signing him.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/696377486687531008">February 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm curious as to why people continue adding updates on Sam Bradford...........who sucks?

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are right. Beckham blew it up at the combine, not the senior bowl. He was second fiddle to Jarvis Landry and a 2nd round pick until he blew it up in Indy. Not all that dissimilar from a big showing in Mobile, but not the same, either.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think there was a better chance of Peyton coming back had the Broncos lost last night.

That said, Peyton was worse than Hoyer this year. I'm not sure a 40 year old Manning is actually a better option at this point.

13. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Give RG3 a shot... Texans gave Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Mallett, TJ yates a shot
    i would really hope they would be willing to give RG3 a shot (he has had 1 full offseason off and might come back with vengeance :)

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

If last night's game taught us anything, it's that a spectacular defense and TERRIBLE QB can with the Super Bowl. Manning has the lowest QBR of any SB winning QB EVER.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

PFF mock draft has Wentz slipping to No. 20

In his most recent mock draft, Pro Football Focus analyst Steve Palazzolo pegged North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz to the Jets with the 20th pick.

While we've seen Wentz fly as high as No. 2 in several mocks, Palazzolo takes a more conservative approach. "He has the big arm to play in a vertical passing system, driving the ball down the field," wrote the analyst, "but that will be paired with some questionable decision-making, perhaps expected for a QB with so little experience." The giant wave of hype that had been building for the 6-foot-6, 231-pounder has received some expected backlash over the last week, with NFL Media's Lance Zierlein noting that one NFL personnel executive told him that Wentz is "way overrated," while another texted him to say he wouldn't select the quarterback in the first round. Wentz might well slide, but in order for him to reach the 20th pick, several teams with glaring needs at the position would have to pass him up.

Source: Pro Football Focus Feb 7 - 3:13 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/52309/pff-mock-draft-has-wentz-slipping-to-no-20

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Manning played hurt most of the year and Kubiak waited too long to sit him down.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/peyton-manning-worst-super-bowl-50-quarterback-ever

I'm not saying this is the winning move, but I wouldn't mind having Peyton on the team over some of the other FAs QB that are available.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Itchin' <a href="https://t.co/uwvB0rfMEI">pic.twitter.com/uwvB0rfMEI</a></p>&mdash; Tom Savage (@TomSavage03) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomSavage03/status/697456103718830080">February 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Scratched!

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Been watching Wentz lately. My only concerns are his level of competition and his throwing form. His passes look accurate but floaty.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think a lot of these FCS guys come into the league with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. They've been doubted/rejected already out of high school. So to have their college careers - and all the hard work they poured into it - invalidated... it's easy to doubt arm strength or intelligence because those things are far more quantifiable. But to dismiss a guy's accomplishments because of competition, as if to question their worthiness... I think it drives these guys.

With full, 100% hindsight, looking back at Clowney - he essentially took a season off and still went #1 while Mack had to work his ass off just to jackhammer his name into the conversation. I can't believe that isn't at least one of the carrots Mack's been (successfully) chasing in his career thus far.