1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have Lowry as 4th option after Lebron/Melo/Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 24, 2014.

1. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Rockets need to go after Isaiah Thomas. He is going to be better than Kyle Lowry long term.

2. CertifiedTroll

Nice try, Mark Cuban.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

can you at least let us know if we are truly in the hunt for Carmelo?

4. Mr Chuck Norris

Hilarious part is, we hired McHale over Casey too...

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If we go over the cap to sign Melo or another max player, can we still bring Lull over? Assuming we address PF we still need to address the PG spot.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

can we close this thread and rid of one?

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

someone contact Lowry to see if the rockets used #7 in the pitch to him

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I thought Casey wasn't interested In Houston.

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2134711-wanted-by-many-kyle-lowry-forges-new-bond-with-raptors-team-he-almost-left

10. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

11. jk103

jk103 Member

Ujiri is basically a smarter, less dickish version of Daryl Morey. If Caboclo turns out alright he'll be a lock for executive of the year.

12. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

That's a little unfair. Sure, in hindsight we snag lowry and don't look back. That makes you really really good, but probably not elite.

Bosh even said on the radio today that he was really close to signing with houston, so it's understandable why we did what we did.

Hindsight is always 20/20

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I remember being ridiculed when I suggested that Morey asked Lowry to wait until Melo's decision, lol.

It's a shame because I was sure that Lowry would have picked Houston if Morey actually made an offer. And this interview supports that.

1 person likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Why does this team need a third star player? Why can't a near all star player be good enough. Does Morey really have all of you this brainwashed? Lowry on the Rockets would have made us even much better. Even this past seasons playoff loss, we were still a very good team, it was stupid mistakes that killed us not not having third star.

Lowry signing would have probably meant Parsons being resigned and we would have been able to maneuver to get other good role players. But in the name of getting a third star, throw that out the window.

1 person likes this.
  15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What's sad is Lowry IS a star. Other than Dragic(ironically another Rockets point guard castoff), his All-Star snub was the biggest one this past season. And unlike Melo, Lowry would've fit in very well here. He can run the offense, knock down the outside shot, score the ball, and defend. Melo would've been forced to play out of position at the 4(assuming Parsons would've been resigned) and he would've taken away shots from Chandler and James.

If this report is true, it makes this offseason an even bigger disaster and an unnecessary one at that. Melo was never coming here. That was obvious to pretty much everyone except apparently the Rockets front office. At least with Bosh we were going to offer him more money than Miami(until that last minute panic offer by the Heat) and he was the perfect fit alongside Dwight. So to miss out on someone like Lowry because Morey naively or arrogantly believed Melo would eventually choose the Rockets is like salt in the wound.

16. jk103

jk103 Member

It took Ujiri exactly one season to turn a 34-48 lottery club into the 3rd seed in the East with a 48-34 record. He got THREE picks out of Andrea Bargnani. Ujiri is the best in the business until proven otherwise.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Between Lowry at $12M and Melo at $20M+, I would have preferred Lowry but more to the point, I would have taken whichever one says "yes" first among any of these guys-- Lowry, Melo or Bosh-- because it is really hard to land one of those high quality players. Doesn't seem to me that asking for one to wait for another is smart business.

#797 Carl Herrera, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Ok at the time lebron went back to cleveland woj, amick, and even now bosh has said that going to the rockets was VERY close. Be butt hurt for as long as you want, but there was probably at least an 80% chance it was happening, just didn't work out.

Quit crying and move on.

19. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

You are also putting no context to the situation at all. Sure ujiri was able to convince lowry to stay, that's because they had no shot at an elite player because no one wants to go to toronto.

He turned them into a 3 seed because the east was pathetic, not because he did anything so spectacular. They were openly trying to lose this year, as seen by him almost trading lowry.

20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Absolutely.

Morey is too much of a gambler for my taste, given the fact that the Rockets already have an excellent foundation of two top 10 players and this two year window before Dwight’s opt-out should be treated preciously.

Lowry isn't a superstar like Melo, but he's still an All-Star caliber player who has always shined by the advanced analytics. You can also argue that he would have been a better fit with this Rockets team than Melo and come at a much cheaper price tag as well. Given how fondly Lowry talked about Houston in that Woj article, I also feel pretty positive that he would have chosen Houston if Morey didn't tell him to wait for Melo who was always a very long shot to sign with the Rockets anyway.

I know the Morey-can-do-no-wrong crowd will strongly disagree with me, but I’d much rather have Lowry, Parsons, and a better bench right now than Ariza and cap space for chasing another pie in the sky next offseason. It's frustrating as hell to me that we're wasting another season of Dwight's career when there's no guarantees that we even sign a better player than Lowry next year.