1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The UFC thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dragician, Oct 26, 2013.

1. sew

sew Member

Also that vid doesn't prove anything.

Could easily post the video of Couture vs Tony. But again, that wouldn't prove anything.

2. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

lol i dont recall that fight, didnt Couture shoot straight for the takedown

3. sew

sew Member

Yeah, IIRC.. Couture got the take down with ease and then immediately choked him out.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Watch the Cung Le MMA fights. It's not as easy to take someone down when they now how to defend against it.

Mayweather >>>>>>>>Cung Le when it comes to athleticism.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Women's MMA is still in its infancy, there aren't any really skilled female MMA fighters so you can go in with limited training and have success just like you could in men's MMA in the early (pre-Dana White) days of the UFC. Mayweather could train with whoever he wants but any UFC lightweight would destroy him because he's too old and he doesn't have the skill to hang with legit fighters.

As to Brock Lesnar, the reason he had success in the UFC was because of his freakish athleticism along with his enormous wrestling skill.....which just so happens to be the best MMA base skill to know.

Boxing is one of the most worthless skills to know in a modern MMA match or in a real fight. It'll work against low skill fighters, but you'll never see an outright boxer last long at the highest level.....now that doesn't mean you can't still be impressed by Mayweather hugging his opponent and winning decisions based on landing more punches without KO power.

6. sew

sew Member

Kind of off topic, but Saturday night completely dispelled the myth that Rousey could take on men.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Winklejohn who owns an MMA gym with Greg Jackson has been training Holly Holm since she was a teen. She stuck with boxing/kickboxing since she was one of the best in the U.S. and was making more money than any woman in WMMA was making. I'm pretty sure she was training MMA before she eventually made the switch.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Cung Le is also a kickboxer which means he showed up with more skill than Mayweather has and he still had mixed results once he started fighting with the big boys. Micheal Bisping beat the hell out of him to end his career.

9. Beavis Stiffler

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just a little food for thought when comparing Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm to Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas (See pic) <a href="https://t.co/eoHb3RAXQQ">pic.twitter.com/eoHb3RAXQQ</a></p>&mdash; Bruce Blitz (@BruceBlitz) <a href="https://twitter.com/BruceBlitz/status/665951835824521216">November 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

FWIW Holm wasn't 20 to 1 dog. A ton of money went on her right before the fight. She was hovering around 10 to 1 then it jumped to 7 to 1 before the fight.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Rogan Podcast said he had some of the most freaking combine scores for a dude his size. He was an athlete through and through, freak of nature.

It was always a joke. She's a piece of **** human being as well, never shut up about Mayweather just to get clicks and publicity, mocked his DV history when she herself beats the crap outta her ex-bf

She got wildly exposed for a non-existent stand-up game against an elite former boxing champion in Holm. Holm was stronger in the clinch, and neutralized her armbar attempts, and flat out dominated her in the octagon.

Theres no way she beats a trained male fighter. She could probably hip toss 80% of non-trained guys, but men are simply blessed with something thats makes them bigger, stronger, faster at a given weight, testosterone. She doesn't want Cyborg unless she comes to her weight (fair) but please just stfu about beating up men. She got her just desserts

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Uufe4_rIkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

This Doo Ho Choi kid is legit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

here's the full fight from the last night

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 54.567%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/clio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no" style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

some breakdown vids

[youtube]b5agHZeCJ_4[/youtube]

[youtube]4LQciGX-Byk[/youtube]

15. Beavis Stiffler

If you're waiting for Saturday's Aldo-McGregor fight, there are two UFC events tomorrow and Friday night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Vivid

Vivid Member

My buddy and I did a preview for the Aldo vs. McGregor on our podcast. We are just two big fans with a mic, and we're honestly brand new at this, but if you guys are bored and have nothing better to do, maybe check it out. We also appreciate any feedback. So excited about this event, the card is stacked!

[​IMG]

17. dragician

dragician Member

so excited for Saturday's ufc event. definitely going to buy this PPV.

18. dragician

dragician Member

change of guards will happen on Saturday.

Connor and Luke will come out victorious.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Wow.....fast forward to the fight footage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ednStlztsqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, that little boy beat the hell out of VanZant but she took a LOT of it and kept going. I wish I had seen the whole thing but the highlights are impressive for what they are.