1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

I have the athletic department video of the UH v. SMU 95-21 game on VHS in a closet somewhere. I purchased it from a guy in their media department years ago. He was a forum posted in the scout.com U of H section forums.

No commentary, just stadium sounds like you're in the seats.

I have a couple others too but I don't recall which ones.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember going to that game and watching that mess. It was brutal - the most overpowering display of offense I've ever seen. Ware had something like 350 yards passing and 4 or 5 touchdowns in 1 QUARTER. He had 500+ yards and 6 td's by the half when they finally pulled him. He could've thrown for 10+ td's and 1000 yards in that game if he wanted to. UH had their 2nd and 3rd stringers playing by the start of the 2nd half.

3. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Javin Webb is my homeboy

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...amp-south-carolina-college-football/80375814/

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hmm, I guess we had reason to fear South Carolina after all. Though I do wonder at how truthful those sources are. Nov 21st came after our huge comeback win vs Memphis but after the loss to UConn.

You're telling me that South Carolina was essentially ready to hand over the keys to kingdom after Herman had only one worthy win?

ronburgundy.gif

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's really hard to believe that less than a month after Spurrier resigning they would have narrowed their search down to a guy who had only coached 8-9 games in his whole career.

I don't buy this for a second. The SEC "sources" who kept breaking news every 15 minutes about Herman during November and December turned out to be so ridiculously wrong. This reeks of CYOA.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

But wait. Herman has had a lot of success before he ever came to UH. I think most people would say he's had success at every school he's coached. And, the the success he had as offensive coordinator at national champion Ohio State should allow him to be considered for many jobs. I mean South Carolina wasn't judging Herman for just a few games at UH.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

He was scared of rebuilding the program? Wouldn't they have a lot more resources in the SEC to rebuild that program than UH?

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Not only that, but the 2014 Houston Cougars lost to UTSA and Tulane.

It's not like the South Carolina rebuild was much worse than ours.

To that point in the season, South Carolina was 3-7 with wins over UNC and completely hapless UCF and Vanderbilt.

You're telling me a 1 point loss to Citadel with a lame-duck interim coach suddenly tipped Herman one way or the other after a month's worth of negotiations that somehow took place in the middle of a guy's first season as a head coach?

This story just smacks like a couple of South Cackalacky 'insider' yokels who got taken in so bad during the Herman-to-SCAR furor that they're trying to save face by painting it posthumously as an "almost done deal/one that got away" scenario.

Rubes.

10. Nook

Nook Member

11. the shark

the shark Member

So I guess since "two people close to the process" said so it must be true.

Whatever. Nothing to see here move along.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Michelle Herman just retweeted this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The idea that a coaching candidate's opinion of a roster would change after one loss, FCS or not, is naive.</p>&mdash; Steven Godfrey (@38Godfrey) <a href="https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/699265091020185600">February 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As far as Citadel/Herman, decisions are rarely made on one game, nor does one game define a program's condition <a href="https://t.co/9SPewRh3al">https://t.co/9SPewRh3al</a></p>&mdash; Steven Godfrey (@38Godfrey) <a href="https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/699264104582750208">February 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

David Klingler was the second stringer, no? I heard he's a pastor now.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

I love this man.

Sorry to digress, but it's looking more and more unlikely that the Big 12 will be adding us, right? At this point, I hope they just stay at 10. We need to keep Cincy and UConn in the AAC.

16. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yep, I don't think that guy is scared of any situation. The article is pretty ridiculous, it's just an opinion/guess piece.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Connecticut is not going to the Big 12.

18. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

"But, on the other hand, this has the looks of a man who couldn't swallow his pride and take a job at a receding SEC school that is — no disrespect to Houston and the AAC — located in a conference that is...well...on a much higher profile than the AAC. Best of luck, Tom."

So much butthurt.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

They just might.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, I believe he did run the show in the 2nd half. I think he ended up with 250+ yards in the 2nd half, too. lol.