1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want the #1 seed if OKC is #8?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Dec 9, 2014.

?

Do you want the #1 seed if OKC is #8

1. Yes! Take the top seed overall and bring on OKC first!

40.5%
  2. No! Rather have the 2-7 seed & face POR/DAL/etc first!

59.5%
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The season is about 1/4 way through and the top 7 western conference teams are separated by a mere 3 games, each winning at an incredible rate. With many more inter-conference matchups scheduled for Dec/Jan, and Dwight Howard/tjones returning, the Rockets could be the top seed at the end the season. The question is, is that a good thing if it means facing a healthy OKC in the first round?

OKC is currently 4 games behind PHX with only 3 more losses but 8 games behind 7th seeded Dallas with already 10 more losses.

IMO it seems likely that OKC will overtake PHX as the 8th seed but will have little chance of overtaking Dal/Por/Lac/San/Mem etc for the 7th seed (barring any significant injuries to OKC or the other teams).

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think we are realistically looking at the 4 seed MAYBE 3 seed at best. I think we would be more likely to see them in the 2nd round rather than the 1st.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There is really no way of knowing what the thunder are capable of. I could see one of the top 7 current teams could have a huge collapse including the rockets.

I also think the spurs will end up a 5th or 6th seed.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

It's not like the 7th seed is going to be a walk in he he park. We shouldn't fear anyone

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I want nothing to do with OKC in the first round.

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

We're only 1 game ahead of the 7th seed. Let's focus on winning games first.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

OKC won't be #8. Closer to 6 and closing in on 5 by the end of the season. Regardless I think we match up terribly with them and would hate to see them in the 1st round. But I still think it's a 7 game series with home court advantage.

GS
    SAS
    HOU
    POR
    LAC
    DAL
    OKC
    PHX

is what I am predicting and i think we would wreck the Mavs in a playoff series. Chandler and Dirk will be gassed out by game 3 with guys springy young athletic studs like Dmo, Jones and Howard.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

No, thank you.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If we are good enough to be the 1st seed, who cares who we play in the first round.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'm not so certain, even though i voted for the top seed. As a fan, enjoying being the best team throughout the regular season is definitely great, but the thought of facing a Durant/Westbrook led OKC in the 1st round seems equally terrifying.

Losing to OKC is a real possibility and isn't anything to be ashamed of, but having to do so in the first round? seems a bit of a gut punch to me. Especially for a team like Houston which either haven't seen the second round lately or even teams like (13)LAC (13)Port and (12)Golden State all of whom failed to advance past the 2nd round the past few years.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BRING'EM ON!!!

12. JazzLakerHater

Hell no. We always struggle with their length, and athleticism. Plus Adams always gets into our guys heads.

13. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

lets get into the playoffs first

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

you think phoenix will pass memphis? for real? I'd be genuinely shocked if they slipped below 6

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

:confused:
    The main point of the thread is to pick one of two choices: the rockets finish 1st and okc #8 or the Rockets not finish first.
    I'm posing a hypothetical scenario that while perhaps not likely is certainly a real possibility. Its just a simple question asking what you would want in this either or scenario.

Yes there is no way of knowing for sure what the thunders or Rockets are capable of in terms of seeding, hence the hypothetical question. Personally I think this will be a real dilemma for a lot of fans and perhaps even teams - of finishing first and having to face an OKC squad with Durant, Ibaka and Westbrook. If that scenario isn't interesting to you, then this thread isn't for you.

This is a very good point, as LAC or MEM could also be nearly as unattractive a first round opponent for Rockets fans as the Thunders.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Because matchups?

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dallas is the only team that will be in the 8 that should be relatively easy, Portland take 2 should be as well, no way we'd let them out physical us again (Ariza brings the nasty).

The teams I don't want to play 2 of is OKC and LAC, we might get lucky and win one of them, we're not beating both of them in back 2 back series.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think us fans want so desperately to get into the second round we looking at match ups and cowering in fear, doing the math. Fact is there are 3 teams Rockets don't do well against (OKC, Clippers, Memphis) Odds are Rockets will be matched up against one of them in the first round anyway.

I say bring them on! Rockets had a favorable match-up last year and lost.

Man up.

19. rocketblood713

I voted yes ....you wanna be the best you have to beat the best

20. calcium

calcium Member

It is one tough conference.