1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Those greedy bastards, this was all about saving that 8.4 million and nothing else :rolleyes:

I'm sure when they spend 6 million dollars more than everybody else next year people will commend them on their willingness to open their pocketbook to pay these poor children.

2. Xercules

Xercules Member

MLBPA went ahead and filed that grievance.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sounds like some butt hurt people. Allow teams to give full MRI's pre-draft before having a pity party about questioning how clean the system is.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Is there any chance that MLB would allow us (force us) to sign Nix, and assess a penalty less harsh than the over-the-allotment penalty?

5. vince

vince Member

That just show the intent of Astros to sign Aiken. The MRI must have been pretty revealing to bail on a once in a generation talent.

Tough luck for Nix, but he could have taken the slot amount and been a pro today. Close knew that any savings from Aiken would be used to sign Nix. Without the slot for Aiken, Then there was no money.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd be more worried about them forcing us to lose next years pick, and/or allowing both pitchers to become free agents.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We were gonna sign Aiken and Nix regardless. There is just a bunch of very poor reporting that is getting this part wrong.

We wanted that 1.5 million for Mac Marshall, notice Close isn't bringing up the fact that he wanted to take money away from one high schooler. This is what this is really about, he wanted that money for his guy.

Aiken not accepting that 5 mill took 3 mill away from 2 other guys.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I have OOTP 15 and I am running with the Stros.

Who should I draft 1.1 knowing what we know now?

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Really have no idea, but I would guess mlb isn't going to go out of its way to help out the Astros right now

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Really? The team that was in contact with MLB the entire time, not to mention extorted into moving to the AL? **** MLB if they punish the Astros for manipulating a ****ty system.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Most likely nothing happens, IMO.

I wonder how long this process will take.

12. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Can't imagine anything happens. MLB was publicly backing the Astros through this.

13. The Beard

Relax man

I didn't say they would punish the Astros. The rule in place is that if Nix won a grievance and had to be signed, the Astros would lose the pick. From what i've read, they would lose both of the top picks next year.

All i'm saying, is that I couldn't see MLB going out of their way to help us out, and to allow us to keep the pick if Nix won a grievance and signed, would be a pretty major exception that I doubt other owners would support.

14. The Beard

If a grievance is filed (or has been?)

It wouldn't be MLB hearing the grievance, would it?

Seems like a judge would hear the grievance, and mlb would just be in charge of enforcing whatever the ruling was?

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I would think it would be heard by MLB, followed by an arbitrator.

#695 juicystream, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  16. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

No...

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per this recommended story, Mac Marshall turned down 1.1 million from Astros, wanted 1.5 million <a href="http://t.co/PGtpT8Mojt">http://t.co/PGtpT8Mojt</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/495345165436223491">August 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. HstnSprtsFan101

Chris Rodriguez*@chrisrod13FollowHeard of a rumor that Brady Aiken is heading to Yavapai JC in Arizona. Came from numerous scouts.3:59 PM - 6 Aug 2014

Could get another shot at Aiken in 2015

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In this case, I don't think the Astros are allowed to draft him without his blessing... and I doubt he gives that.

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Agreed.

It just makes his decision to reject our $5 million offer that much crazier. That's top 3 money, and there's a great chance we have 2 of the top 5 picks.