1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Wii U] Super Smash Bros.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Nov 27, 2014.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Didn't see a thread for this game anywhere...at least a dedicated thread...wii u thread has some talk.

Figured should get one started. So who all is playing? I absolutely suck at the game....looks gorgeous, incredible game...just wish I won every once in awhile.

Anyone up for some games?

also: any tips of this newb...maybe i'm just not mashing the buttons enough, i just need to go buck wild with the controls haha

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Great game. I'll post my friend code later maybe we can get some matches going.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This is really just an amazing game.

First Smash I played was Melee, and I was never very good a it. Then when I got a Wii I got Brawl with it (actually bought the system + game off this board :)), and it was definitely a good time when friends were over.

Still, for whatever reason, I was never as into it as I am now. Maybe because I've played it before I'm slightly less horrible at it. Plus more characters, more customization... and larger battles! This game was clearly made for bigger battles. Though it seems a little arbitrary which stages are large-battle restricted.

I feel like I didn't really "get it" when I first played Melee, but you gradually adjust. For the record I'm not that good at the game either. I don't go much beyond about 6.0 difficulty usually.

How is it that you usually lose? Are you getting knocked off the stage and can't recover well? Are you not doing much damage / not hitting people enough?

Anyway, general recommendations for a beginner... (keep in mind I'm at best intermediate myself)

Figher-selection-wise, I'd try customizing a Mii character, since I made a swordsman Mii and the moveset seems pretty good and well-rounded. And/or, try a "floaty" character that can recover easily from being knocked off the stage (up + B is generally your recovery move). Meta Knight and Pit seem like good beginner characters to me. You can also customize pre-existing characters and equip items that make you statistically stronger to give yourself an edge.

Gameplay-wise, in general try to stay near the middle of a stage where you're not going to fall off most of the time.
    Use your A combo frequently... use side smash for people right in front of you, down smash for when people are on both sides, up smash for when people are above you.
    Don't use any one move too many times in a row or it will get "stale" and lose power.
    When someone's off the stage, sit about a few feet or so from the edge and fire projectiles at them if you have them. Try to keep them from getting back on.
    Go after items constantly.
    And finally, don't forget your shield/dodge roll. When you roll you'll reverse the direction you're facing too, so you can get pretty good at dodging past an attack and then countering. A fair number of characters also seem to have a "down + B" counter move that's pretty useful.

That's about all I got. Hopefully that was even slightly helpful. I'd bet anything there are better Smash players on this board that could give more tips.

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

appreciate the response.

i think i generally lose because of really a combo of all of those things.

especially recovering...have a hard time getting back to that ledge.

but also i am probably repeating too many of the same moves...i do like to mash A quite a bit since thats just general combo hitting.

i tend not to defend at all mainly because i fear using the shield i'll be slow to react on the offensive coming out of shielding. also probably not why i haven't taken advantage of the rolling.

i didn't mention...but i haven't played a smash game since N64...clearly the game has changed a lot (in terms of strategy/gameplay) from what i can remember.

fighter selection wise i have just been using mario...seemed natural..i imagine hes a pretty balanced character in the game.

5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Getting it when I finish moving, can't wait

6. Drexlerfan22

Mashing A is a good way to go to do damage, you just have to remember to use smashes (A + direction) to finish people. Technically you can finish with a combo, but only the last hit in a combo usually has knockout power, and typically little knockout power at that. Use those smashes.

I feel like Mario is actually a pretty bad beginner character (IMHO, again, I'm no master at this game). He's quick and hits hard, but his range sucks and his recovery move is meh. Maining him could be part of your problem.

Overall I'd try Pit for a bit. Great recovery, and got a little range too.
    Little Mac is an amazing beginner character if you're having trouble finishing people. He's allllll offense... crazy speed AND power.
    The ranged Mii has awesomely spammable side smash, I highly recommend making a ranged Mii.

Really, just try everyone though. Impossible to predict who you're gonna like. :)

7. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

watch youtube videos and spend hours mastering simple concepts like the wavedash. Can't wait to play this new one. I was a monster in Melee

8. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Is this game fun for an 8 and 5 year old or is it going to be to hard?

9. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

It's one of those games that can be serious for adults but still fun for kids.... So yes they will like it. I've only played all the ones before this though. Have yet to test this one.

1 person likes this.
  10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If only I could get an adapter for GameCube controllers. I suck on the other ones badly.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My friend and I smash like every night. I'm actually looking for some cool girls to smash soon. I wouldn't mind smashing with a large group of guys though, that's always fun. I hate when I'm the first one done when smashing with 3 other guys. It makes me feel inferior. Gotta practice I suppose

13. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Is the amiibos mandatory to play this game? I primarily purchased it for my little nephews to play. There's a 3% chance I might play it sometime in the distant future. Just wanted to make sure the game works without it. If I do play it, what does the amiiboos do?

Btw, does the wiimote work just fine for this game or do I need to use the pro controllers?

14. Drexlerfan22

I don't have any amiibos... but from what I can see, they are companion-fighters only, not ones you use yourself. It's just a way to make a buff cpu-controlled teammate. Doesn't seem worth-it.

There's no chance I would use Wiimotes for this. You'll want pro controllers, or the Gamecube controller adapter if you have Gamecube controllers lying around.

I've been playing it for hours every day for a week and I'm still not tired of it, and this is coming from someone who was only semi-into the previous Smash titles. I think it's mostly the larger battles and the light customization options that really keep it feeling more fresh than the previous games. IMO this is better than anything on PS4/XBO at the moment. Well-done, Nintendo.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

The amiibos seems to have become more of a collectible item then something you need for the game. I've seen where people will buy the complete set. Don't know why other then collect them all. I have no interest in getting them except maybe a Samus amiibo(Samus is my main) if it goes on sale just for the hell of it.

17. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Can someone explain these amibos and what they do I am utterly confused.

Also I have the game have a pro controller, but I just can't play the game with that controller. My muscle memory is too stuck on the gamecube controller. If someone could point me to an adapter i would appreciate it.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Sold out everywhere. I've been looking for weeks.

19. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

In smash, Amiibos basically act as a virtual sparring partner that you can train. They supposedly learn your mannerisms if you fight with them and level up higher than the normal CPUs in the game.

The amiibo figure can also be used across different games, but they seem to basically act as ways to get specific dlc for those games (mario kart custom outfits, etc.).

Can't really help you with the adapter and controller. I guess your best bet is best buy because that's where I got it from...

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This game is awesome. My Wii U came in the mail today and I started playing SSBWiiU. It's so different playing with the game pad. I need to buy a pro controller or find the adapter.

I always end up hitting Y instead of B to recover because B was directly left and up from A on the Gamecube controller. So I miss the ledge and end up dying. Sucks.

Found a tier list: http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/. Not sure how relevant it is. I started out with Mega Man and he has some pretty cool smashes. Sheik is really awkward for me to control but I think a lot of it has to do with the game pad. I can't wait to get an adapter.