1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goran Dragic traded to Miami Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Feb 19, 2015.

1. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

You do realise he didn't actually say that? It is a quote from The Office.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that Dragic is not worth the max and since he didn't want to re-sign with us, we did the right thing not to trade for him.

But remember the whole board screamed for Dragic just a few months ago? It's funny how Dragic has turned from the darling of this board to a hated object. The ex-girlfriend syndrome is strong here.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can track back my previous posts lol

I always liked Lowry better. hypocrites are everywhere

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

At the time we all(along with Morey) wanted him, we thought he was open to playing for the Rockets again and figured his price range was no more than 15-16 mil/yr. By the time the trade deadline arrived, he said publicly he wouldn't resign here(and preferred the likes of the cellar dweller Knicks and Lakers) and was demanding max money to remain with whatever team did acquire him.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my interest in seeing Dragic in a Rockets uniform pretty much ended at that point.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well spoken.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah. We don't need another offensive option, we need a defensive powerhouse that can hit threes. Which boils down to... nobody on the market. Failing that, I hope Sergio Llull comes here next season.
    Besides. Dragic would cost too much. Would much rather look for a backup center that is taller than 6'9" and look for a backup point guard that doesn't look like he's going to break every bone in his body every time he jumps.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wasn't aiming at you guys specifically.

It is one thing to say that we are not interested in him anymore. It is another thing to hate him like he's a big-ego scrub and jeer at his misfortune of losing a star teammate the day after he joined the team as if he likes losing.

To me, Dragic is a mercenary, which most players are anyway. He has skills that we do need very much now. Too bad he doesn't want to play for us for whatever reasons. (BTW, I don't think teams will chase after him with max contracts. But I can be wrong. There are plenty of good PGs out there.)

The general sentiment I described of the board is real. CF loved Dragic not too long ago. Now lots of people here hate him.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was thinking many of us felt that Dragic would love Houston like many other players do in the offseason.

He played for us how many seasons exactly? Yes, only one.

Personally I do not have anything against those journey men. I liked Jimmy Jackson back in the day but for some reason I cannot fathom I dislike Dragic at this point.

The first time he was a Rocket I was intrigued to be honest but that is all. Once he chose Phoenix, he was dead to me.

But very interesting player to be honest with you. Phoenix brought out couple of players that thrived in their system but did not duplicate it somewhere else.

Stat, Nash, .....

Yao is a Houstonian so was Hakeem..... those are the guys that should retire Rockets or stay Rockets for long

Honorary citizens like Deke or Scola as well

9. baubo

baubo Member

It's pretty logical once you realize that the fans here look at things from a Rockets POV. If a player can help the Rockets, then he's awesome. If he does not? Then he's trash. I'm sure more than a few people laughed and scoffed at Dwight Howard when he was forcing a trade to a team not us. But welcomed him wholeheartedly just a year later.

The hype would've been just as big had it been some other PG who didn't play with us. If Ty Lawson had been available and rumored to the Rockets, I'd imagine there would be no shortage of Lawson love for much of the season either.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not because I didn't say Dragic was a bad guy. I was talking about his value as a player only and obviously when you bring up his value as a player it's very different than Harden's situation.

Yeah but you are assuming that Morey commit his future to Dragic. I don't think Dragic was going to be a "Keep at all costs" player for Morey knowing how highly he values flexibility.

There was a pretty good chance that we lost both Dragic and Dmo so obviously Morey kept Dmo knowing that Dmo returning here was a sure thing he could control.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pat Riley on signing Goran Dragic: &quot;If he doesn't sign, my ass is going to be in that seat and I'll be writing about it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Joseph Goodman (@JoeGoodmanJr) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeGoodmanJr/status/590176392224047106">April 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Riley on Dragic: &quot;If he doesn't sign, my ass will be in that [media] seat next year.&quot;</p>&mdash; Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) <a href="https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/590176400881152000">April 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pat Riley on the draft: &quot;No more smiling faces with hidden agendas, so we'll be going in clean.&quot;</p>&mdash; Joseph Goodman (@JoeGoodmanJr) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeGoodmanJr/status/590176720721989632">April 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pat Riley on LeBron leaving, one year later: &quot;Yes, I'm at peace with it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Joseph Goodman (@JoeGoodmanJr) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeGoodmanJr/status/590179038628569088">April 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wow. Rilley on the uncertainty of building last summer not knowing about LeBron, &quot;No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.&quot;</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/590176759653523456">April 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pat Riley on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SmilingFacesHiddenAgendas?src=hash">#SmilingFacesHiddenAgendas</a> comment: &quot;That could be anyone across the board.&quot;</p>&mdash; Joseph Goodman (@JoeGoodmanJr) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeGoodmanJr/status/590177505136500736">April 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

12. frontline94

frontline94 Member

well no **** fans will be mad he didnt come to this city, you think we're going to sit idly and wish him the best of luck? screw that, i hope he doesnt play well against the rockets everytime

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I'm still on the Dragic bandwagon. Never know.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get the seat thing? He'll give up and become an analyst? Take his ball and go home because a moderately above average PG isn't feeling it? Lulz?

15. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Or get fired?

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

You really think the Heat owner will fire Pat Riley?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No, which is why I was confused. Riley is the one who knocks.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Same here. Still would be an absurdly great fit for the Rockets and how they play basketball, considering his ability to finish at the rim and make threes.

Guess what? Players can change their minds about what they want to accomplish in the league. If he decides he wants to make the playoffs next year, he won't be going to LA or NY.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm confused too. I wouldn't be surprised Riley would take his ball and leave. But over a player like Dragic?

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Over the fact that he gave up two first round picks for nothing.