1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Don't feed the troll. All he contributes is insults to UT and their fans. There is no substance to any of it. He just wants to antagonize people. He's just a troll.

2. Nook

Nook Member

The Big XII has been steadily getting worse for many years..... this Baylor "issue" isn't going to help at all.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Braj, it was sarcasm.

Mallet 4 life doe.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's really not the case, I actually don't have a problem with UT, I've never had anything but neutral feelings about them. Hell I even defended them when A&M fans were acting like you guys are right now. Really it's the tee shirt fans embarrassing themselves with their demeanor and attitude....then trying to blame me for it.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I doubt their will be any sanctions from the NCAA. Any trouble they have will be with the Feds for not protecting their female student athletes and following Title IX rules.

6. Brando2101

Adding teams to add teams doesn't make a conference more stable. Just look at the Big East. They got raided and then stocked up quickly. Notre Dame left and then the Catholic 7 took their ball and left and took the Big East name and Madison Sq Garden with them. The final straw for them was adding Tulane. Adding a new market doesn't mean you are really getting that market or that state. It all depends on the program.

I would be for expansion if you could find a team that has large market saturation across a state that the big 12 is not currently in, a stadium larger than 50,000 people, and that brings some history of quality football. Ohio State owns the state, the region and a lot of the cincy market and they have a tiny stadium. Plus, you're only going to send the Texas and Oklahoma teams which have the biggest draw to Cincy every 4 years. I don't know how popular BYU is vs Utah but Utah (like most big 12 states) is in the bottom half of US population but it's concerning since Utah University is in Salt Lake City but BYU has a good stadium and some national exposure with their network.

The Florida schools aren't a bad option but there are already so many division 1 schools in Florida.

Again, I feel like I come off as a UH hater. I'm really not. I feel like the facts support the little value in bringing them into the Big 12 which has been stated over and over. I don't see the value in the SEC picking them up since A&M and Alabama already does really well in the Houston market and no conference has been adding teams from states that they are already in since the last round of expansion (around 20 teams).

The Pac 12 had the most public and well thought out expansion plan last time. Moving into the Texas market with UT (central Tx, Houston, and generally around the state) and OU brings Dallas and North Texas. Ok St and Texas brings Tech come along which I actually really like. The reason (honestly) is that I always enjoy playing Tech is because they fill a stadium with 60,000 people who are RABID. They also travel well. It's a fun and hard place to play. It's not because I'm afraid of Baylor, TCU or Houston. I have continuously been favor of UT scheduling harder non-conf games because they are more fun. I'm proud that we beat Ohio St in 05 and I don't complain that the big 12 has 1 less non-cont game than everyone else which means less cup cakes( I don mention it time to time but it's a better option).

I do feel like UH will be targeted by the ACC and it'll be a good fit for them. It'll do for the ACC what getting A&M did for the SEC. Will it hurt the rest of the Texas teams in some ways? Yea but you open up more problems by adding a team just for the sake of it. I also think UH will be in a good place if the big 12 breaks up and the AAC creates a super conference whose winner should be with the Pac 12, SEC, Big 10 and ACC in playoff consideration. Of course the issue is TV contract that they have to sell to networks.

West: UH, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, Kansas ST, Iowa St, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane
    East: Memphis, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, UCONN, East Carolina, Temple, Navy

I don't believe it will. All the problems facing expansion issues will still be there. I think it just eliminates the possibility that they will get swept up by any other big conference if the big 12 breaks up. It's hard to imagine how the NCAA could approach sanctions. You could say their actions kept players eligible to play when they might have been suspended or arrested. That might be a stretch though.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The facilities are in place, deep pockets. I've seen asinine posts online about how how we are going to be like Kansas. Not when you can drop 5 M on a head coach and are in a football state like Texas.

Baylor will be back.

8. Brando2101

I think a lot of it depends on if there are any self imposed sanctions with scholarships. I don't think the NCAA can do anything him.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

I wouldn't be so quick to presume that Baylor will be a cellar dweller. I know that is what you are hoping, but they may be able to get through this mess and stay competitive. It will be interesting to see what happens. Let's see if the NCAA gets involved.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bohls: Cougar High? More like hi, Cougars — Houston deserves a Big 12 glance

I've never heard Bohls say one positive thing about UH. Weird.

His point is the same one I've been voicing.

If the money is virtually identical, then you should add the program that makes your conference the most competitive it can be.

#870 DonnyMost, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  11. Nook

Nook Member

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself.

The facilities are excellent and that will keep them from circling the drain in football with 3-4 win seasons like they did for years. However, the willingness of the university to sell all out for the football program isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Being in Texas is good; but for the most part Baylor is likely to be behind 2-3 other Texas schools in the recruiting game.

I think they are likely long term to be a bit over .500% but not competing for National Championships or even Big XII Championships.

12. Buck Turgidson

A. That's Kirk Bohls
    B. That's Kirk Bohls
    C. What did he say that hasn't been said?
    D: ???

"Drayton McLane is in the Cougars’ corner."

Awesome. Tillman + Drayton is a classy combination. Maybe Bud Adams's and Joe Paterno's corpses can go in with Charles Hurwitz and Andrew Fastow to get control of the board.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It just takes 1 coach really. Herman, Briles, Patterson, and Sumlin (early on) are good in-state examples. Recruiting will take a hit but BU was already behind 2-3 Texas schools for the most. The biggest thing for BU is finding the right guy and how much any sanctions, whether self imposed or NCAA, effects that.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It depends on the coach they hire. It's kinda like saying Texas will be back, but it's taking almost 6 years to come this far and Texas has EVERYTHING going for it.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ost-important-meetings-in-conference-history/

16. Buck Turgidson

This of course will never happen, but my regional-ish conference would be:

Big 12 East
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Arkansas
    Texas A&M
    LSU
    Houston
    Missouri
    Memphis

Big 12 West
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    TCU
    Baylor
    Oklahoma State
    Colorado
    New Mexico

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

User Actions
    Following

Joseph DuarteVerified account
    @Joseph_Duarte
    High ranking UT official tells @kbohls on UH: 'Texas will officially be for it. Realistically I cannot see getting 7 votes in favor however'

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We don't need them...and they know it.

#878 Plowman, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm just tickled that after all this time of being told I'm a homer/idiot by UT fans around here... UT is officially voting 'yes' to UH's inclusion.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

IIRC, a lot of your earlier posts on expansion also bashed UT for being the big bully and even "scared" in this situation. Apologies if this wasn't you exactly but tons of people, including UH's Chairman, were so quick to blame everything on us, all before the Big 12 even meets on the subject.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up too much on Duarte quoting Bohls about a high official telling him anything. Bohls is the Pancakes of the AAS but with less connections.