1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think he drank water

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We all know that was an iced vodka tonic with a lemon wedge.:grin:

Weeden parties hard brahj.

3. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Rotoworld did a ranking of teams' QB situations:

29. Texans, Brock Osweiler
    Texans 2015 Ranking: 31

Maybe Brock Osweiler really is worth $72 million. All we know for sure is that he’s a 25-year-old former second-rounder with 11 career touchdowns. The last time Osweiler was on the field, he was getting benched for the remains of Peyton Manning. Osweiler offers ideal size, plus athleticism and a decent arm, but had glaring flaws as a first-year starter. Osweiler suffered numerous second half implosions, and often failed to see beyond his first read. When option one was covered, Osweiler tended to hold onto the ball too long before taking a sack. That’s the glass half empty assessment of his arrival in Houston. If we want to get half full about it, Osweiler will be working with a coach who has made Christian Hackenberg and Brian Hoyer watchable. Bill O’Brien clearly believes Osweiler can be molded into something. Some benefit of the doubt is warranted here. The same can be said for healthy skepticism.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/62863/57/nfls-best-qb-situations-2016

4. htown1984

htown1984 Member

seriously ranked 29?

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

The writer thinks Denver has a better QB situation with Sanchez and a rookie who is pretty universally regarded as not ready to contribute.

6. htown1984

htown1984 Member

dont know much about the writer, but he does seem like hes really guessing here:

How the hell would you rank Danver higher (With sanchez) than Osweiler, who after
    all still one some big time games.. Of course he made hes mistakes, but he also made some huge plays to win some games..

Well see how this turns out, but i doubt Osweiler is worser than Sanchez, Hoyer , or even Fitzpatrick

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the article is sort of intended as a "hot take", I mean the previous season he had Andrew Luck ranked #1 and only dropped him to #4 after an absolutely pathetic season.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I feel like I've typed this 2,533,267,553,984 times already this summer - but the deal is REALLY 2 years/$37MM; he's not being paid $72MM/year. If he's a flaming bust, he'll never see $35MM of that $72MM.

There are 20 QBs making more this year than Brock Osweiler, including Sam Bradford, Colin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford & Joe Flacco.

It is a wildly justifiable deal that becomes an absolute steal in years 3 and 4 if he lives up to his potential.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Where are you getting 20? I see 14.

Also there's a third scenario where he's mediocre/ average.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll also be a good deal if he doesn't reach his potential, but the team wins anyway. QB's that aren't actually any good like Joe Flacco work their way into monster contracts based on team success.

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Then it would make sense that he's the 15th (according to your numbers, I haven't verified) highest paid QB, wouldn't it?

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ah, I see.

Brock is 20th in cap hit this coming year.

12th and 9th the next two.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

God, will the season just start already?? The national media seriously ruins EVERYTHING.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

hoyer and mallet had the luxury of knowing the system so the the reality is brock can be middle of the road early in the season and that would be great. a running game (short passing) would be huge to ease him in. all he has to do is avoid trying to do too much too early and risk busting (low confidence) early. i'm optimistic because every interview i've seen of the guy, he looks very measured but confident. also, there is a realism to his approach and attitude. seems to have the perfect personality to deal with media criticism early if/when he doesn't try and do too much. he'll certainly get called out for it but i think he can handle it.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-worst-moves-of-the-2016-offseason/

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

PFF is generally hard for me to swallow. Their state tend to skew things, and their write ups tend to be biased.

How can you say a franchise could potentially torpedo itself, when we can cut the guy after two season, with little damage, if he tanks? Someone like Osweiler, you'd want to give him two seasons anyways. The way the contract is structurer is quite team friendly, actually.

They should go back to making up their faulty numbers.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Five quarterbacks who thrived -- and five who stunk -- vs. the blitz in 2015

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...nst-blitz-nick-foles-sam-bradford-not-so-much

Brock Osweiler: His numbers against the blitz were far better than Peyton Manning’s last season. Osweiler led the NFL in yards per attempt (9.83) and passer rating (114.6) against pressure looks. Manning was 24th and 26th, respectively, in those categories. Osweiler has just seven career starts, so it’s a small sample size, but his success against pressure is an encouraging sign for Houston Texans fans.

1 person likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This is something new that Texan fans aren't accustom too.

Wasn't Schauby good against the blitz before Haynesworth fell on him?

19. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Wow to be listed along with Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Cam Newton and Andy Dalton is not a bad place to be. Why again do the experts think he will be a flop.

With all the weapons he will have to throw to, this stat should get even better.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Because the Texans signed him. If he had stayed in Denver, he'd be getting touted as Elway's latest stroke of genius.