1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Rule V Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tetio, Jul 23, 2015.

1. right1

right1 Member

Minaya has an ERA over 12.00 in the Dominican this fall.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I personally think Hoes is a better player than Aplin, but I won't lose any sleep over losing either. A team is also more likely to claim Hoes and keep him on the big league team all season.

This isn't like Feliz or even DeShields. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hoes deal today anyway.

3. Nook

Nook Member

With relievers, the numbers don't matter so much. It is projectability, movement, splits... Etc.

4. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Agreed that they are largely interchangeable, but Hoes is out of options and has to be on the 25 man roster all year, doesn't he? Aplin can be shuffled up and down for the next 3 years.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Didn't think about Hoes being out of options, but he certainly is. I'd definitely much rather keep Aplin who is more capable of playing CF, is younger, and has options.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Aplin and Fontana added to 40-man, per Astros Twitter.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Hoes DFA, also per Astros Twitter. I'd embed but on my phone.

1 person likes this.
  8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can do without Fontana IMO. Not adding Devenski is gonna hurt, though.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't realize Hoes was out of options.

10. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I might like Fontana more than some people here, but im glad we put him on the 40 man. He is the type of player that every title contender needs. His versatility is useful

11. juicystream

I'd like to keep both. I'd have rather kept Devenski over Minaya.

12. vince

vince Member

Reality is you don't lose a potential all star every year. The Astros have lost quite a few in the Rule 5 in the past. Delino DeShields is probably the one that will be the most likely if recent memory.

DeShields did not fit on the big league club, but Astros should have tried to trade him for something. They got flat footed and gave away a guy with plus foot speed and at least a workable bat.

Astros might lose another 2 or 3 prospects this year, but it comes with the territory of having an advanced farm system.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What potential all stars have the Astros lost in the rule 5 draft in the recent past? Prior to last year, the last time they lost a player in the rule 5 draft was 2004 - D.J. Houlton. He did have a major league record of 6-9 with a 5+ ERA the next season, but I don't recall him making the all-star team.

14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Johan Santana immediately comes to mind. Whether that is considered recent past would depend on your age I guess.

15. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I think 1999 would be a stretch for recent... though losing him stings.

16. bobrek

Yep, Santana was a shame, but 15 years is not recent and the poster also mentioned "quite a few".

17. juicystream

His thoughts are a little hard to understand, but he didn't say we lost all-stars in the recent past.

His words:

[rquoter]Reality is you don't lose a potential all star every year.[/rquoter] - I'd call that very true.

[rquoter]The Astros have lost quite a few in the Rule 5 in the past.[/rquoter] - I don't know if he means all-stars or not, but nothing about being recent. As far as I know, Santana & DDJ are only ones worth mentioning. Maybe he meant because we had 3 guys taken last year (1 returned).

[rquoter]Delino DeShields is probably the one that will be the most likely if recent memory.[/rquoter] - He would be the one potential all-star we've given up since Santana.

18. bobrek

But the fact remains is that prior to last year, the Astros went 10+ years without losing anyone, regardless of ability. And, going back to 1997, the only player of note they lost was Santana. I suspect he is bunching Abreu in the rule 5 draft which he was not part of. Even so, the Astros have:

1. Not lost a lot of rule 5 players
    2. In 20 years have lost 1 all star - Santana.
    3. In 20 years have not lost any players of note except Santana and perhaps DDJ.

19. juicystream

Mayo's Top 10 Rule 5 prospects:

Reymin Guduan, LHP, Astros (No. 16): Speaking of lefties who throw hard, Guduan works regularly in the upper 90s now that he's a reliever full-time. He doesn't always know where it's going, but the fastball-slider combo is intriguing.

Teoscar Hernandez, OF, Astros (No. 17): The Astros have six from their top 30 eligible, a testament to how deep their farm system is. Hernandez is a toolshed with an exciting power-speed combination, albeit an unfinished one who needs to work on his approach.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/157830358/top-10-prospects-available-in-rule-5-draft

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

It is time.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Amateur draft has war rooms. Rule 5 draft has tables without plugs. <a href="https://t.co/LGagT2EoxM">pic.twitter.com/LGagT2EoxM</a></p>&mdash; JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) <a href="https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/674960059395416064">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's the audio-only link to the Draft, if you're inclined to listen.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's where you can follow the Rule 5 Draft live on <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB">@MLB</a>.com at 9:55 am ET: <a href="https://t.co/nbIk1sQPRV">https://t.co/nbIk1sQPRV</a> <a href="https://t.co/lXKDUKRvZT">pic.twitter.com/lXKDUKRvZT</a></p>&mdash; MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/674958046527889413">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#80 tellitlikeitis, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015