1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul Flopping Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MacYao223, Nov 12, 2013.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LOL wut?

2. Grapenutz

Grapenutz Rookie

This one was pretty bad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VQt_wMMY8

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Funnily enough, the Lebron West one was worse than that, the conference finals seem to bring out the best in the double flop.

4. Aleron

Twice, and the heliflopter is generally considered the greatest flop of all time.

5. bballjunkie281

The warnings and fines are a joke. No player will care about a $5000 fine if it helps them win a game. Flopping is one of the worst epidemics in the NBA, IMHO. It turns this league into the WWE.

If the NBA really wanted to crack down on flopping they would start reviewing ALL flopping incidents, not just conveniently selected ones, hand out suspensions, and implement technical fouls for flops (2 FT + possession) like they do in FIBA. Of course, the NBA has no interest in eliminating flopping, since it doesn't hurt their revenue. The fines are just lip service.

And yes, this goes for Harden as well. A superstar doesn't need to rely on flopping to succeed. If he needs to get suspended or be hit with technicals for this phenomenon to go away, so be it.

BTW, I actually used to like the Clippers before they became Flop City. Now, they are one of my two least favorite teams in the league, along with Miami. Many players around the league flop, but those two teams have actually turned it into a strategic part of their game plan. Not only that, but their flops are just shameful. I don't care that much about players exaggerating their response to actual contact, but these two teams intentionally flop with no contact whatsoever, several times per game (that can be worth 10-12 ppg, earned by cheating).

6. clippy

clippy Member

So much hyperbole here. Paul will flop maybe once or twice a game, and usually he doesn't get a call. This is absolutely no different than players who flail their arms while going to the hoop or yelling "and 1" or "heeeey" all the time. It's just just exaggerating minimal contact to get a foul, and just about everyone does it.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It is the thing that bugs me the most about the NBA. Flopping is not just about the most unfair thing you could do (outside of trying to hurt someone) it also destroys the game. And what sickens me the most about it is, that superstars usually get away with it. It is good that the league is starting to hand out warnings and fines to players like Harden and Paul, because superstars are the ones that do the most flopping.

I hate flopping, no matter who does it. I call out Harden on here when he does it, and I´ll call out Paul when I see it. I would bench Harden for a flop and I welcome every fine - but I think the league is still way too forgiving, it seems like they don`t even want it to stop. If they did, they should up the fines 10 times and even consider letting floppers miss games - that`s the only way to really get rid of this bull****. Right now, even LeBron does it blatantly and gets away with it...

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol clippy, what a guy. Try not to be a homer when you speak.

9. clippy

clippy Member

I'm not being any more of a homer than the rest of you. What, do you think Paul flops like 20 times a game and that's the only reason the Clippers win? It's ridiculous.. he's not all that different from the others, he just has a few 'epic' flops that looked really bad. Although not any worse than what Harden did the other day.

10. coffeelover665

CP3 is an amazing player. I just don't like seeing someone as amazing as him using all of these dirty tactics. Then again could be me looking for something to hate about him, (but I do love watching him conduct an offense :grin: )

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

IMO CP3 is one of the biggest floppers in the league. There is nothing homerish or hypocritical about others pointing that out. Harden btw is also a huge flopper, arguably just as egregious. Only by refusing to acknowledge one or the other as one the leagues worst offenders would one be homerish or hypocritical.

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Nobody said it is the reason the Clippers win - and nobody said he was the only one to do so. But he is one of the posterboys against flopping while being one of the worst floppers in the league. And for that he gets called out here. He is a great player, very fun to watch and is leading a great team. But that doesn`t change the fact, that flopping is a disgusting part of the game. Like I said, I hate it the same when Harden does it - probably even a bit more since I hate when guys that I cheer for do stuff that I can`t stand.

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Is this whole season going to be a "me and my Clippers vs all of you" thing? like we've experienced with 'what' and his Grizzlies or 'sactown' with his Heat. They both ended up becoming trolls taking potshots at the Rockets and their players every single time they felt defensive in the Dish section (where we talk about other teams). I wouldn't go to the Clippers BBS expecting fair talk regarding the Rockets or Harden. Or you may just like coming here to be drawn into inevitable internet squabbles.

14. Aleron

Falling out of bounds is hardly high on the epic flop scale.

15. clippy

clippy Member

I'm just pointing out how idiotic it is to have a thread like this when you have arguably the worst flopper in the league leading your team.

16. bballjunkie281

Oh come on, how blind can you be??? Was he merely "exaggerating minimal contact" when he pulled that **** on Cousins? Does everyone pretend to be a helicopter without being touched? Yea, a lot of guys sell contact, but to say this is the same as what Paul and the Miami guys do is ridiculous.

17. clippy

clippy Member

I'm just saying Harden is in the same category so having a thread specifically directed towards Paul is dumb. I agree flopping should be penalized more but I also think that offensive flailing and verbal outcries when driving to the hoop are just as bad.

BTW, this stuff has been happening since the 80s at least. It's only come under heavy scrutiny recently, with the internet and all of the tv replays.

18. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Chris Paul's flopping against Minn was soooo bad the other night, I thought it warranted it's own thread. I'm really glad other people notice it, it is ruins the NBA. Whether CP3 or Harden do it, which is a shame cause they are bother superstars and faces of the league.

It's embarrassing and in NO way shape or form was it going on this bad in the 80s. Chris Paul probably does it 40% of the game looking to gain an advantage from the refs. Ask some of the guys from the 80s if people flopped this much.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you don't see that Paul is one of the (if not THE) biggest flopper in the league, then you are pretty much a blind homer.

And if you believe that we are all homers, then you should just GTFO from this board. What do you expect coming to a Rockets fan board? Or do you just want to troll?

20. clippy

clippy Member

GTFO? Damn, you are one angry guy. I never said Paul wasn't a flopper. I just said it was stupid to have a thread devoted to him when there are tons of guys in the NBA (including Harden) who do the same thing-- which is why they have this new (ineffective) rule. And, like I said, flopping isn't any worse than all of the other BS players use to exaggerate minimal contact. I mean, Kobe has apparently been getting hit on every drive to the hoop he's ever done for 18 years, unless "heeeeey!" is just an involuntary sound he makes when going for a dunk. Harden & Durant flail their arms up constantly. Why is this so much better than Ginobili or Paul or Fisher or any of the other countless players taking a dive?