1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planned Parenthood Director caught on tape selling aborted baby parts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Jul 14, 2015.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because people have biases and agendas.

I saw people hurling insults over a simple math problem that involved order of operations on facebook. This was a case where there was definitely only one right answer, and people would argue the crap out of it.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'm all for education and birth control. Stop killing babies. That is all.

Do we really need fifty million abortions to supply enough embryonic tissue for research?

How is it so easy to look past the death sentence for these little babies?

3. giddyup

There is no better way to reduce abortion than not to choose it. That is not even arguable.

I don't want any of the things you say I want...

It's a wacky thought that there will be more abortions if they are illegal.

4. giddyup

Who do you say is breaking the law?

It doesn't require a theocracy to oppose abortions. I know that is not a convenient truth for your argument but tough ****. It's more about common sense and decency.

Boy, you don't assume too much do you?!

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

If you're all for education and birth control, you should fund the organization that is one of the largest participants in Title X funding instead of sitting passively by.

And yes, not having access to embryonic tissue given under consent would block medical research and the continued development of vaccines saving millions of lives. Seeing as I don't have any concrete policy proposals from you, I'm assuming you're going for the moral free for all buffet--"how can I arrange the world so that nothing offends my sensibilities"--newsflash, you can't. Unless you want to establish a legal system where backdoor abortions provide embryonic stem cell lines after the mother and/or her medical practicioner are arrested?

Though you are getting closer to discussing substance than anybody else has, so kudos for that.

"Stop killing babies."

Sure--but why is criminalization the best route for stopping the abortion of fetuses? The abortion rate is steadily decreasing in America under legalization. Switzerland has 6.8 abortions per 1,000 women, a much lower rate than pre and post Roe v Wade America (which was always around 16+ abortions per 1,000 women)--and they got there by fully legalizing and supporting girls through abortions and sex ed, rather than bullying them with jail time.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I agree.

But there is a huge problem with that logic there. You don't control who chooses it and YOU WILL NEVER DO. Criminalizing it doesn't mean women stop having abortion. Not a wacky thought, but a fact with data backing it up.

The path to reduce abortion are to educate and to provide family planning. Education doesn't have to start and stop at just sex. It can fully include what is an abortion and the emotional nature and suffering of it. That, I'm sure, will convince many to be careful and to choose carefully.

Getting rid of PP would do harm, with less consultation and education, more unplanned pregnancy which we know will yield in more abortion.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have any daughters or are you even married? Any sisters?

8. cml750

cml750 Member

I am married and have a daughter and a sister. What in the world does that have to do with anything??? There is nothing that makes what PP is doing right.

9. mclawson

mclawson Member

I agree, PayPal is the devil.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Just wondering what you would do if say the unspeakable happened - and your daughter got rapped and was traumatized by it. Would you pressure her to keep the child if she absolutely did not want to?

11. cml750

cml750 Member

I wouldn't have to pressure her. She has been raised to value life. She has a friend who got pregnant over the summer who sought my daughters council before anyone else because the father was a guy who the girls parents had put a restraining order forbidding him to see the girl. the girl was considering abortion because she was scared of her parents.My daughter convinced her to talk to her parents and also that no matter what happens that she should have the baby because no matter what the child she was carrying was innocent in the matter. Well the girl talked to her parents and everything seems to be working out. They lifted the restraining order and are planning on getting married and raising the child together. I am so proud of my daughter. Even in the case of rape, the unborn child is innocent and does not deserve a death penalty. My daughter knows the value of life.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well I am glad your daughter espouses your ideals. But some women are truly traumatized by rape and would rather end their lives that give birth to their rapist's baby.

13. giddyup

Their well-known advocacy for abortion would make me not want to donate to them.

Extreme sarcasm noted, but I think that advocating for innocent, defenseless children rises above merely being offended. It's an issue of national character.

You do realize that every tally is a life, don't you? That the rate is going down is good because it means fewer lives were taken but it does not necessarily mean that a life was spared. It can just mean fewer pregnancies, which is a good thing.

Would you be satisfied if the slaughter rate for elephants or bald eagles was down for the last couple of years? Of course, that would be better than nothing but would it really be enough?

Next year, I think I'll only sell half of my pit bulls to dog fighting rings...:eek:

14. giddyup

I have three daughters and a grand-daughter. No sisters.

15. giddyup

Sex ed and birth control are fantastic tools to reduce unwanted pregnancy. That is a given, if you're not Catholic.

How far removed, if at all, is abortion from vigilantism? "Choose carefully?"All your focus is still on the mother. The mother is choosing whether an innocent life-- the one she created-- lives or dies. If she chooses abortion, the baby dies. Check the data back that up... except for the occasional miraculous survivor like the video I posted.

I have a friend here who lost an elderly friend a few months ago. The woman had two children by marriage. The marriage dissolved. Some time later, she was raped by a bare acquaintance. The woman kept the baby.

Jump forward a few decades. This woman/mother is now degeneratively ill. Guess which of her children nursed her into her grave the last years of her life not knowing the circumstances of her conception-- except that her mom had been unmarried?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's moot. The point is that a mother should get to make the decision about having an abortion or a child. Not the state. Not you. Not your religion.

God doesn't weigh in on abortion. Not your god, not any god.

PP serves the world and people whom need it. It's cruel and evil to defund an organization that helps so many.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Abortion is legal?

Giddy -- you should not be subject to the personal slams re hypotheticals about your daughter etc. But.....seems your opposition to PP is that they do perform abortions, even though they've been tremendously successful in bringing the rate down, and that none of the government funding goes to abortion. (there's very little wiggle room in the funding they get -- title X and medicaid is the bulk -- and medicaid rates are set by the feds and a fraudulent claim would be a pretty big deal).

So...who is the vigilante here? Maybe the ones trying to curtail an organization doing a legal procedure by means other than challenging the legality of that procedure?

The vids were intentionally antagonistic, but the claims in them have been subject to state investigations. So....who's the vigilante again? How about the ones ignoring the findings of official investigations to pursue the result they think 'should' be applied based on their own moral judgement and a whole bunch of misinformation?

I really don't think you have to agree on the morality of abortion to see that the current attacks on PP are very disingenuous. What they are doing is entirely legal, and has been subject to significant overview. Those opposed to abortion, stem cell research etc have been frighteningly effective in removing government funding. That's something those of us who disagree have to either live with or lobby to change. But the attacks on funding/access by means other than challenging the procedure itself are embarrassingly dishonest, IMO.

Cheers.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Picture a mother and an already born 3 year old child. A mother should not have the decision to murder that 3 year old child. It's a freaking child. And yes, i'm making the same parallel with an unborn baby that PP is allowed to take out of a womb.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

good grief. smh.

20. giddyup

1. What are the mechanics, methods, rational for PP taking the credit for abortion rates going down?

2. At one time, the production and purchase of alcohol was legal, then illegal, and people from different sides campaigned for change. Same thing with pot and many other issues I'm sure. I'm arguing to shed a kind of light on this subject; I'm not out killing doctors who perform abortions although I have been lumped in with those who do at times.

3. PP advocates for abortion and always has. The can claim anything else they wish but their tongue will be firmly implanted in their cheek.

4. The videos make a point. No one has yet to prove they are inaccurate. They just slander the filmmaker and are satisfied with that. Do you deny that the attitudes expressed by most of those who got taped and recorded display nothing but a callous attitude toward the children they extinguish?

Cheers back!