1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think it's fair to be adamantly for or against trading down w/o knowing the package the Texans end up with.

2. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I mean the Rams have gotten some pretty decent players using their extra picks.

The reason they haven't been good is because of injuries/bradford being disappointing. Also it doesn't help that they're in far and away the best division in football...

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What do you think is going to happen when Clowney gets to the NFL??
    Also, if you noticed, out of the three( Clowney, Barr, Mack), Clowney was the only one to regress. Yet posters here want him picked first. I don't trust him.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I just have a feeling Barr will be like another Watt type of pick.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've watched 4 or 5 Clowney games at this point from last year, and Clowney wasn't doubled nearly as much as certain people would have you believe.

And honestly in the run game, Clowney was impressive in pursuit when you don't run right at him. But if you put together a highlight tape only of plays run right at him, it wouldn't be too impressive.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Well if the Texans trade back Clowney and Mack will definitely be gone but Barr will still be on the board (assuming they trade with Atlanta).

But I wouldn't take Barr over one of the Quarterbacks, Robinson, or Mathews. I don't think Barr will be better than Mercilus.

7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I would be good with Mack.

#607 Chilly_Pete, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  8. Raven

Raven Member

More chatter about the chatter. The Texans presumably would only trade down if their trade partner had the player they wanted, such as Manziel falling to Atlanta, then they would get Clowney and the Texans would get Manziel/Assets. Worst case scenario, Houston keeps Clowney.

This means, of course, that even if the Texans draft Clowney, there will be no assurance they are keeping him until deep into the first round.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-draft-and-trade-scenario-for-texans-at-no-1/

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think thats smart, draft the BPA and then try and get a ransom for him.,, if we do it right this could be are come up!

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's always funny to me to read guys with a 9-5 on this BBS tell me how they've "watched tape" and give me their impressions. Not speaking directly to you Ottomaton, but 99% of the people on this board would have no idea what to look for if they actually studied game tape.

Anyways, to your point, they've already researched it for you:

[​IMG]
    (See: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46928/349/out-of-the-box for more metrics measured amongst the top four rushers.)

Clowney was chipped or doubled on a play 25% of the time, which is significantly more than any other top edge rusher that was examined. You are correct that he wasn't "doubled or tripled every play," but he still received more attention than the other top edge rushers in the country.

Make of that, you BBS football experts, what you will.

2 people like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good ****.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would be all for that.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, in that scenario, if Atlanta took Manziel (or another QB) then you could be reasonably certain that they were drafting for another team. They wouldn't be drafting a QB for themselves.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

At that point it wouldn't matter.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

For the purposes of us knowing it might. IIRC, they normally don't announce those trades immediately, but rather somewhat later. The teams may have an agreement, but once both players have been chosen, they still have to formally submit the trade to the league office. So it takes a little while. We probably would be officially informed of a trade until a pick or two later.

#616 Cannonball, Apr 23, 2014
  17. Remii

Remii Member

I agree with you about the amateur tape watchers... But even the "experts" can have different opinions on the same tape.

And Clowney was doubled 25% more than anyone else...??? Then shouldn't he have 25% less sacks than guys like Dee Ford instead of just 3... Especially since he is such a physical freak and wasn't facing power house offenses.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, that's certainly true. But the worry about trading back before the other team makes the pick would be alleviated at that point.

But man, what a wrinkle that would be. I hope it goes down that way, personally.

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Don't remember this ever happening in the draft. Maybe the Eli deal, but SD was what, 2 spots away and picking another QB that SD considered inferior. In theory it sounds good, but I'm not sure NFL front offices work this way. You take the guy you want.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

A) No, he was doubled/chipped on 25% of his total plays -- not 25% more than anyone else.
    B) The logic on the 25% less sacks line is baffling.
    C) RE: your power house offenses from the same link...

[​IMG]

As you can see, Clowney's competition >>> the other edge rushers examined. You should be looking at the offensive lines he faced, not the PPG the opposing offense scores. So not only did he face much tougher competition, he was game planned for much more than the other top rushers in this draft.

Not an argument one way or the other for Clowney. Just facts for others to base an opinion off of.

#620 LongTimeFan, Apr 23, 2014