1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Rockets look after the Scola deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Honey Bear, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

12 active players:

James / Alston / Brooks
    McGrady / Wells / Snyder
    Battier / Wells / Snyder
    Scola / Hayes / Landry
    Yao / Butler

The question marks here are Snyder, Butler and Landry. Snyder is an animal and while his game is very similar to Bonzi, he can impact the game if he comes in and plays hard defense/slashes to the basket. Head and Novak are one-dimensional and with shooters like James, Brooks, McGrady and Battier already on the roster they become expendable.

Atleast $3.5-$4.5 of our MLE will be taken up signing Scola, so that pretty much ends our FA bidding. Which is a good thing considering the weak FA class and inflated market value. The acquisition of Landry/Butler IMO spells the end of Mutombo and Tsakalidis as Rockets, both of whom were much more suited to playing in a half court offense. I don't see them as Adelman players. So now we can only bring in players via trade, the odd ones out being:

John Lucas
    Bob Sura
    Luther Head
    Justin Reed
    Carl Landry
    Steve Novak

The Rockets are likely to be patient with Landry and Novak and let them warm the bench for most of the season, but it will be interesting to see what our package of Head+Sura+Lucas can bring in.

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

After watching Harris in these first two summer league games I would love to see them find some place for him on the roster. He's a hustler.

And what about Deke?

3. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Will still have the rest of the MLE and the LLE to work with. Still some moves to be made.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

We still need a veteran starting PF ... I don't think that's Scola ... glad we got him, similar to if we'd have gotten Amir Johnson, but I doubt he's ready to start in the NBA. It takes all Euros transition time.

5. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Of the three you mentioned who're "on the edge", I would take Butler over Landry. That's just me though, since I always prefer size at a front forward spot. Plus I believe Butler to be more athletic and agile, and a better scorer. He has loads of potential, as does Landry, but again, the height does it for me.

I think Reed, Sura, Lucas and Head are all goners. None will be in a Rox uniform next year.

I've always liked Snyder, strictly from a toughness and athletic standpoint. He can become a very good defender, and I like his aggressiveness. We don't have very many tough, physical players, particularly at the wing, so I think he's a keeper if he keeps his head straight and develops.

I would still like a Joe Smith, or a vet in that aspect, on this team. Scola, Butler, and Landy are all young and unseasoned, and I'm sure Smith would bring a great amount of leadership. I also think he'd complement Yao better than either Landry or Scola would for the immediate future.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

I want to see Harris replacing Snyder on the roster.

Feigan says the Rockets still plan on signing Deke even after this trade.

7. Honey Bear

Who can we sign for $1 million and $1.2 million respectively that can enhance this roster? Houston is done with the 2007 FA class.

Scola is our man. He's almost 27 and has been around. I think he'll need to adjust to the Adelman offense but in terms of the playing in the NBA -- not as big a problem considering his body type and mindset.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Raptors had a thirty-something euro forward that came in and contributed straight away last year.

9. blackwindy

blackwindy Member

Trades Need to be Continued. Centainly not enough,

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sherlock,I respectfully disagree with you. I don't think there is a good starting veteran PF who will be available for us,only old ones.I think the Rockets should go for Matt Barnes who can be a good 3/4/2 type player if we have the MLE available. Barnes and Hayes might be able to make things a little easier for Scola instead of an older veteran.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Mike Harris could be this season's Matt Barnes.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're right, the Rox don't need a shooter like Head since they have Alston, who wil really shine without Head stealing all of his shots..... :mad:

13. Honey Bear

If Alston is kept it won't be for his shooting. He has great handles and does a decent job at the running the pick and roll. That's all you want in a backup PG.

14. The Brian

The Brian Member

i already like our team, but FA has only just begun.

also, i'm tried of everyone saying james is our starter.

alston was the starter last year and until further notice still is. :mad:

15. Hemotivo

Hemotivo Member

Just be healthy :cool:

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If Alston is kept and he plays he will be doubled off of as usual and still be won't be able to hit a layup.

But anyway, are you saying Alston is "all the rockets need at backup PG?"

Well then let me put you on notice: He's not.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Obviously SG. As much of a Head fan as I am, SG is the biggest depth need. I hope Snyder's back, but I'd like a proven commodity, too. And if you mention Bonzi in response to this post, I will know that you didn't watch at all last year.

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

sarcasm?

19. Honey Bear

If it was up to me Brooks would be coming off the bench over Rafer. But I don't see many teams being interested in Rafer, so we'll be stuck with him and seniority puts him over Brooks on the depth chart.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

now if somehow we could engineer an Alston/Sura for Cook trade I think we'd be all set...

The players who will most likely be on the roster:

C Ming, Mutumbo
    PF Scola, Landry
    SF Battier,
    SG McGrady, Wells, Snyder
    PG James, Brooks

that leaves 2 spots open - one of which would HAVE to go to a big, leaving a 'PG' slow open.

I think there's no danger in having a Luther Head guy on the team - who doesn't want a flat out shooter to stick with the team? Sure if the right trade comes along, take it, but what harm is there in having a 'spacer' on the roster?
    As for the '3' spot, McGrady, Wells and Snyder can all slide there without a problem.

And for that reason I'd seriously trade for Cook if the Lakers would do it! They get a point, we get a backup PF who can shoot, everybody is happy.

You keep Harris, Butler and Reed under contract, send them to the NBDL and call on them when injury strikes. (it's a 15 man roster with no IL right?)

Yee-Haw