1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Boredom... Just pure Boredom

2. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity.. even thought it's not going to happen.. but, can McHale get fired during the year? Or is he on some sort of contract that doesn't allow him to get cut/fired/removed or whatever you want to call it by the Rockets organization?

It's just really bothering me.. I really want him out as coach. I am pretty confident that 100% of clutchfans/houston wants him out too.

Not trying to be rude to the man or anything, but he has horrible in game intellect and what to do and how to react to certain situations.

It's just killing me. I may die soon. That's how bad this pain is.

Sigh.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he can be, you can be fired whenever, but the teams just have to pay the contract out

4. abaker28

abaker28 Member

What are people's thoughts about Mark Jackson?
    I thought he did quite a good job at gsw. Maybe after a year at espn he'll be ready to get back in the saddle.

5. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

You guys do realize the reason why Mchale wasn't fired right?

It's a political move by Morey. If Mchale was fired, Morey himself would be under the hot seat when this team underperformed again this season. By shifting the blame to the assistant coach, Morey increased his lifespan by another year, and fires Mchale this year (if team underperforms) It's common practice in companies.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Pretty sure there was only 2 games left in the season after Kobe went down. And in the post season they were swept.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Don't mean to get all technical on you, but saying that you want the Rockets to run more Horns doesn't make much sense because one doesn't "run" Horns. You just form Horns, as it's merely a formation and not a play. There are a gazillion different Horns plays, so "more Horns", could really suck or be quite good depending on what kind of play/action you actually run out of it.

I don't mind the Rockets offense myself. I wish there was a little more structure at times, but the foundation is pretty damn solid.

As for actual plays that the Rockets do run, here are some of them:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kaTFjNlew_s?list=PLXWsHGeAyQD7A5Vk8zLEA-j3oLlJ-4OYH" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll add a few more during next season.

#8287 HMMMHMM, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    3 people like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^ thx for that vid, as always HMMMHMM

The "Tight PnR"

9. kemah

kemah Member

lol

That is some good stuff. I subscribed.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Let's leave the religious preachers to football, shall we?

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

I am pretty sure the low block PnR was the most efficient play in PPP for the Rockets. I start smiling before they actually finish running it. Nearly unstoppable, and why Portland doubled Harden in the post at the beginning of the series.

12. kemah

kemah Member

lol

A good PF would have made Portland stop that.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I get that. Thnx. Good find with that video as well.

I really just meant that the best things run last year seemed to start out of those sets, and if they are really serious about utilizing D-Mo this year, I'd think starting in Horns will be the best way to get everyone in their spots to make a play. This action just seems to get Dwight Howard to spots where he could make plays at the rim rather than just dumping it to him down low, or running a simple pick and roll with Harden.

My whole point though was to challenge folks that want to gripe and complain about McHale to actually show me exactly what they want on the basketball court. Because that's what its about right?

If someone thinks George Karl or Jerry Sloan's system would be better than prove it. Let's see some evidence, and actually talk basketball for once instead of complaining about something you can't actually judge.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You might be right, but I was just remembering the last few games of the season watching Gasol & Dwight work together out of those high/low sets really showed me that the whole Dwight/Laker experiment could have worked if the focus of their offense would have been to utilize their biggest asset.

With the Rockets, my only point was I want to see Dwight utilized correctly. What are the best sets for him to be put in a position to get the ball in his spots where they aren't relying on straight post ups where all 5 guys can get involved?

If anyone wants to contribute to showing what types of sets you'd like to see this year (which might require a different coach to run), let's hear about it.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

Err, they did stop it on the 3rd game...

16. seeingred

seeingred Member

i agree that Tight Pick and Roll looks terrific. And as was said, if Jones or Dmo takes a step forward it will make defenses less willing to send their defender over. The more Harden/Howard pick and roll, the better. Especially when they start that close to the basket.

i was also surprised to learn we had a pretty decent baseline inbound play.

My only request is that Harden be the one to inbound to Dwight when he decides to post up. And then have Harden stay on that side of the court. Harden's man won't double, and the other three rockets will have more separation between themselves at the 3 point line which means clearer passing lanes for Dwight to pass out in the event of a double team.

as it is, we have 4 guys standing so close that opposing teams can send a double team and still effectively guard/close out with 3 defenders.

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Milk Hair: This this why I always shout "Come on, guys...". You never expect what you could get from this shout.

18. Rocket_Man_2.0

So sad...this team is being wasted with this terrible coach.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

McHale just cost us the preseason championship.

20. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

this thread really got bumped alread [​IMG]