1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Powell gets called by Houston for Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prodigy08, Apr 13, 2014.

1. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

During the first half in the game in New Orleans, Powell was setting screens as well and often as any Rox player I've seen all season. But in the second half, Powell stopped setting screens. Completely.

I've been pounding on this team over the lack of setting screens... I just hope it's not McHale discouraging his players from doing so.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I think Powell is insurance. I don't think we'll see him in the playoffs.

3. rocketsmetalspd

This is what he was brought in to do by Morey. I am sure he will do just fine in the playoffs.

4. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

I'm thinking Morey signed Powell as a practice player. His game is somewhat similar to Aldridge, a mid range shooting PF. If so, he's worth signing just to teach Dwight and Asik how to step out to defend the pick and pop.

5. basketballholic

Good point. But it's more like teach Jones how to step out to defend the pick-and-pop. Asik is one of the best pick-and-pop defenders in the whole league.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z0IFNcYpKzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lU-aVp5H3QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#145 basketballholic, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This is something that has happened time, and time and time again.
    It HAS to be something from the coaching staff.

We were completely tearing apart the Clippers interior defense in the first quarter of our last game against them. Our offense was screen, after screen, after screen.

Yet the screens after the first quarter were few and far between.

It works. Our offense is even better when we have people moving constantly. It is clear as day to see.

I'm beyond wondering as to why McHale doesn't implement screens much more heavily in our game plans. Beyond wondering because there's no logical answers to some of the things he does.