1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Simmons next in long line of recent Australian Basketball Prodigies?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SkyrimOwnsAll, Aug 7, 2012.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Magic's best all-around prospects since 2003:
    LeBron
    Ben Simmons
    Everyone else <a href="https://t.co/tXHvdFLXZ0">pic.twitter.com/tXHvdFLXZ0</a></p>&mdash; SportsNation (@SportsNation) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsNation/status/684551377784197120">January 6, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. omgTHEpotential

This kid is starting to get way overhyped. :)

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People saying that he is a project are off base, with his tools he's gonna be a really good player right away. His court vision and willingness to let the game come to him is most impressive. Great length, quickness and leaping ability.

He has no jumper whatsoever, and that's clearly the wall between him being really good and elite, which he has a chance to be. The ability to shoot is never a sure thing, some people never can learn. I don't put the best in the world label on anybody because there are a million unknowable things about how someone will respond to to demands of being "the man" against nba defenses. Having said that I will be shocked if he's not one hell of a player.

4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Agreed Seal, but I am a biased LSU fan so I refuse to believe he will not contribute big time in the NBA next year with 76ers, LOL.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SPcwfXJkNBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you don't have questions about Ben Simmons motor after watching him disappear against OU, your are hopeless.

He is very talented but I'm not sold on him becoming a star in the NBA. He doesn't play with a sense of urgency.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He is not that guy iv been saying it for weeks.

He's going to be a bust in the NBA.

Not because he won't be a good player starter level but because he's not ever going to be a franchise changer number one option.

You can just tell watching him, he doesn't have that it factor.

How can u be The concensus number one pick best player on the court and you don't ask for the ball especially in clutch time.

Dude didn't ever touch the ball

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He takes off so many plays. On others he just goes through the motions. Then there are times when he does the spectacular.

Too often it doesn't seem like he cares. No passion.

I excused it early in the season to him getting acclimated to the college game. Forget that.

8. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I knew a similar player who only drove to the basket, couldn't shoot, and had a questionable motor. He was the first overall pick in last year's draft, was the ROTY, and seems to be on his way to becoming a star.

Oh, and that guy didn't have half the passing ability as Ben Simmons.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm a huge KU fan I watched all wiggins games in college. He never played this passive.

And wiggins is not gonna be a star...Allstar? Maybe but never a star.

Kevin Pelton and Zach lowe I believe we're just discussing wiggins last week and they were basically saying he's super overrated but is in a great position because he doesn't have to be the number one guy ever in Minn. because of Townes and its clear to everyone because Townes is just so damn good.

We will see about Simmons.

Look I would love to have him on the rockets with James Harden and Dwight Howard he would be a perfect power foward for us. A more under control younger josh smith which is a really good player.

But he ain't no Lebron James.

Lamar odom had all the talent in the world but didn't have that mentality to be great and I see the same thing with Ben.

I mean he doesn't even want the ball in crunch time and he plays on lsu who's not even ranked. Hell he doesn't even touch the ball in none crunch time and when he does he passes to much even when he has a clear advantage in the post.

To me him and wiggins situation is nothing alike. Wiggins played at KU which is a power house top 5 school every year not only that he had other NBA talent on the roster not to mention a big man who was seen as a better player than him and went 3 in the Draft with a broken foot.

10. Zackery

Zackery Member

To me he looks like a Lamar Odom/Blake Griffin hybrid. I don't agree with the sentiment that he isn't aggressive. I think the LSU coach needs to draw more plays for him. He doesn't play a position where he could just call his own number. He made every shot he took yesterday...

11. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

I think you truly do not have an appreciation for how bad that LSU team is that he is on.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It's still doesn't excuse him from being passive.

I watched the whole game his team played great everyone but him stepped up. He just watched as his double digit lead evaporated the last 5 min of the game.

Any big time player with confidence would have atleast attempted to bring it home for their team. He didn't shoot any shot after the 10min mark in the 2nd half.

He's a great TALENT. Not player yet.

He's going to get ate alive in the NBA.

13. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Seller- biggest pu$$y I've ever seen.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Crap team, put up nice numbers but how overrated is this guy? He's the consensus number one pick?! :eek:

You Aussie's tried to tell us Dante Exum was the next great thing too. ;)

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Magic/Bias mix....Barring injury, this guy will be an all time great. Evolutionary/revolutionary game.

#135 Plowman, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's looking like a bust right now to me. He might Anthony Randolph-out of the league if he doesn't learn to play a specific role early-on in the NBA.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ben Simmons Compared To By NBA Executive To 'Taller Rajon Rondo, More Athletic Evan Turner, Skinnier Royce White': <a href="https://t.co/ZFMJYCApJz">https://t.co/ZFMJYCApJz</a></p>&mdash; RealGM (@RealGM) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/709766630901833733">March 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

^^^

Sounds about right. He's a very good prospect, but he ain't even close to Lebron-level hype. How can you be that highly touted but terrified to even take a jump shot?

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We are just trying to keep the Aussie hype burning until Thon Maker next year. He is where it is at!

For me, probably on the train of thought of Exum and Simmons having the same issue: can't shoot. I don't think many guys who can't shoot become greats! But then again, I never understood why Joe Ingles didn't make it earlier and become a 15ish ppg starter...