1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo a Maverick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wadero, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

one of the problems with people who put up gawdy numbers on bad teams, is that those players spend a lot of that time facing defenses taking holidays and often garbage time units for extended periods, Hawes is one of those guys.

Let's just say this isn't the first name to be used like that, or the 2nd, in the last 3 months, Rondo is a relic of a time where inefficient chucking was championship basketball.

2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

No, your assessment isn't correct. They're the favorite because they play in the East and have the easiest path out of anyone to the NBA Finals. They essentially only have to win 1 or 2 real playoff series to win the title. It's understandable that they're rated as the favorite to win it all because of that.

1 person likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I find it comical people argue with Kwame about how Vegas operates.

1 person likes this.
  4. baubo

baubo Member

To me this is simply the Mavs raising the "variance." With Rondo they have both a higher ceiling and a higher floor. The ceiling comes from Rondo playing better than he has simply because he's on a contender asked to do less. The floor comes from Rondo being no longer the player he was and cause their offense to sink while not providing much offense.

With Wright, they are what they are. Likely a 5-8 seed that is at best 50/50 to even reach the 2nd round. So clearly the gamble makes sense. But the result is not nearly as certain as they look on paper. I don't fear them with Rondo. Personally, I think his lack of shooting will derail their offense more than people realize.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Except they aren't even the best team in the East. How can the #4 or #5 seed have the easiest path to the finals?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is at least two logical fallacies in this statement. Thus your response is void.,,imo

I'm a big fan of aelliott on this board, actually my #1 poster who I will stop and read and search for his posts, still evaluating BimaThug not so sure he's better than aelliott.. but I'm also a big fan of Kwame.

this one is Kwame's world and expertize in experience

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The Rockets still have the 2 best individual players in the state. I'll take them over Dallas every day even with Rondo

8. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Sorry if this has been covered, but when will Rondo suit up for Dallas? Tonight?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rondo is big for Dallas. They now have a playmaker and will really blow up. And he plays D. You can put Rondo on Harden to slow him down.

They all of a sudden match up very well against us.

10. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Rondo fits really well in Dallas. He wouldnt have fit here at all so I am not upset about us not going for him but he makes Dallas really dangerous.

What has been annoying me is all the Mavs fans thinking that they "beat" us for Rondo and talking ****. I think it is a known thing amongst those that get their information from more than SportsCenter that if we wanted him, we could have had him

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mavs will miss Wright; Brandan has been in the league a while now, and i think we forget he is only 27. He's rocking a 26.1 PER and a 76.2 TS%.

Those numbers are absurd and seem like an aberration, but he had a 23.5 PER last season with a 69.5 TS%.

Also Rondo's a step slower defensively and it seems he always needs the ball in his hands

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Couldn't you also say they are the favorites because the odds are spread so thin among western conference teams?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not 5 years ago, he doesn't play D anymore. I'd LOVE it if the Mavs put Rondo on Harden, he's already a good shooter and he'd get the "Rondo bump" of about 5% to his season averages.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what Carlisle said

15. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

LOL... exaggerate much? Rondo's troubles started exactly 2 years ago, when the Big Three were dismantled and he suffered an ACL injury. Prior to that season, he was an All-NBA, All-Star, and All-Defensive Team selection.

And Rondo is only 28 years old. Same age as Tyson Chandler was when Rick Carlisle brought him back from the grave in 2010. That was another fallen star with leg injuries that the league had given up for dead.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

17. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Saw Rondo in Boston a few weeks ago when they played the Cavs. He is still the best passer and rebounder at the PG position IMO; however, his style of play is very difficult to mesh with--needs the ball in his hands, when he's off-the-ball, his man is playing crazy help defense, the team runs when he wants to run, etc.

He's kind of like Allen Iverson not in the way he plays but in the way he demands a certain type of offense that revolves around him. If it's anything else, he's completely ineffective.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Recovered well. MT <a href="https://twitter.com/Boweman55">@Boweman55</a>: Kind of insane that the Mavs struck out on Deron and Dwight and their consolation prize was Rondo and Tyson.</p>&mdash; RealGM (@RealGM) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/546460677125054465">December 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>