1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets starting line-up plays better with D-Mo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Oct 22, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go back and look when I posted this. Including preseason I thing Jones has regressed. Could it be the injury? Maybe because at the time I didn't know how bad his injury was.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He was playing the best ball of his career in the first 4 games. Well maybe 3 1/2 games 'cause the injury happened in the Philly game.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He post more on the block. He takes a lot of innefficient midrange shots

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jones was playing great to start the year, and the team was holding teams under 90 points, and winning a ton. He's no slouch at all.

DMo has stepped up his game, and has helped the team win with all of our injuries. DMo is also a legitimate threat every time he gets the ball in the post.

I don't know which is better for our team. I'm fine with both of them playing a role.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Lakers. Jazz. Celtics. And 76ers first four games and you guys want to use that as a baseline for tjones the whole yeAr. Come on. 4 game sample size

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HELL YES !

DD

7. kemah

kemah Member

Been a couple of years since we have had this argument of who is better between Dmo or TJ.

8. Rox23

Rox23 Member

DMo is a lot more fun to watch.

I rather see DMo turn Marreese Speights into a pretzel with his up-and-under move or get Miles Plumlee in the air while with a fake meanwhile DMo casually pivots the other way and drops in a lay up...then Jones stealing Dwight's put-back dunks, for example, or that awful looking midrange shot.

Basketball is fun to watch not just for the W, but for the skillset of the players.

Tell me...do you watch the Harlem Globetrobbers because you want them to win??? No, it's to see their crazy moves. You don't have to be a Lakers fan to for example enjoy watching Magic Johnson play.

9. mig0s

mig0s Member

So are the numbers clear or nah?

10. basketballholic

Hopefully we can trade Terrence and Dorsey for Ilyasova and a second. Either that or maybe we can pillage Orlando with a Terrence and 2 second rounders for Tobias Harris.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This is why I'd rather D-Mo start w T.Jones coming off the bench

D-Mo playing alongside Howard allows D-Mo to post up the teams secondary post defender instead of their best (since that guy would be on Howard)

Howard and Jones both like to go for the weak side block and we have seen some defensive issues with that earlier this season (and last season)

D-Mo is better at blocking out for rebounds which would help Howard more

Jones like to dribble the ball from time to time- his complete play style would be great for the second unit while Harden and Bev rest ect..

Jones can be fast and athletic in a way I can see Jones being our version of Faried- come off the bench here in Houston like Faried does in denver and offer a massive production spike

Jones has alot of upside and can score when he gets hot so I think he is better suited coming off the bench with the second unit when he would be given room and the ball to work in 1 on 1s.. he just won't be one of the upper options playing alongside Harden/Howard ect

D-Mo compliments Harden Howard more because they can deviate to his post-up from time to time to keep the defense on their toes and lanes/room to work for Harden/Howard

Most importantly and less about athletic ability.. I WANT the player with the highest basketball IQ to be on the court alongside Howard and Harden- D-Mo's BB IQ obliterates Jones

D-Mo plays hard all the time while Jones is still maturing and his effort level completely disappears at times

#91 Realjad, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I just want to get Jones healthy, don't really care who starts.

It'd be great to see Jones play so well to make it a tougher decision on McHale though.

At this point I'm worried about him coming back from this injury this season and playing at a high level. He'd be great to have starting or off the bench. It's a great problem to have, just ride the hot hand and whoever is playing better finishes the game.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The numbers are clear!

14. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Jeez - talk about good problems to have.
    Jones was a beast before his injury and DMo has really stepped up. Who starts?
    Like I said, good problems to have!

15. nobie

nobie Member

Its not really a problem though, DMo will start, and Jones will have to show he is worth starting over DMo. Right now DMo is playing really well though hes averaging like 15/7 over last 10+games. Can Jones come in and produce these kind of numbers? I highly doubt it.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When D-mo and Howard play together, you are going to prevent a lot of double teams because no one is going to leave their man in the paint. I also see this on the pick and roll also.

17. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Precisely my point. When Jones comes back he'll be fighting for his spot.
    Assuming he can get back to the same form and given the form DMO is in, these are very good problems to have.

18. basketballholic

He'll be fighting air. No way he comes back to the starting lineup unless somebody else gets hurt.