1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets-Blazers: Behind the Numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I feel the same way, even before the injury they suffer. It might be that Portland is a more potent offensive team and we aren't that great of a defensive team. GS, OTOH, depends more on their defense than offense to get to where they are now.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The games will be close if we were to play the Warriors as well DD. The Warriors have a slightly better defense than the Blazers. But the thing is the Blazers kill us the offensive boards. That is the only thing that scares me against them. We will have to do a better job grabbing the defensive boards against Portland.

3. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Apparently it depends on where and how big the tear is, and how good the blood supply is in the area. I say this with a vast (multiple paragraphs read on the internet!) background in the subject, but without your admittedly superior credentials.

4. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

LOL!

To be fair, other than being a Blazer fan, I have also experienced a torn lateral meniscus (a sympathy injury I suppose to prove my fandom) as well as a torn ACL and MCL. Of the three, I would choose the torn ligaments every time.

The problem comes from the little fraying parts of the cartilage. It can cause swelling, joint discomfort and soreness. Worst case, the flap that's created by the tear can slip into the joint (which really sucks). Now, I'm sure PB will be jacked up on so much cortisone he won't feel a thing, but he may find his leg doesn't respond to his commands from his brain as well, especially on quick cuts.

5. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I was always thinking GS would be better for us, but it seems like most ppl wanted Portland. They have more weapons. We've seen at times Batum going off, and the way Parsons has been playing defense lately is worrisome. Matthews has been playing great down the stretch and we know Lillard and Aldridge are clutch players. If they are clicking like they were when they were at the top of the conference at the beginning of the season, it's not going to be easy.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Reading that godawful Bleacher Report/BlazersEdge preview of the Rockets Blazers series makes me appreciate just how lucky we are to get some real analysis from smart, articulate, and active-on-the-bbs posters who have actually watched the games and then combined it with extensive statistical knowledge. In short, people who care.

Thanks Ben, and thanks Clutchfans for being the best fan forum in the country!

7. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

The Playoffs is what we got Dwight for...its time!

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Portland has two inefficient chuckers at the PF and PG spot. Those chuckers(Dame/LA) happen to be their best players. At the same time, Dwight Howard has feasted on Portland's frontline. This is an easy one for me.

Against GSW, you would have had Iguodalla and Thompson guarding Harden at all times(both are capable defenders).

The Rockets got the easiest matchup in the playoffs. The Rockets are better offensively and defensively. Should be a relatively easy series if the Rockets show up.

X-factor-keeping Mathews under control. If the Rockets do that, they will win in 5!

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

It's the playoffs, Portland is top five in the West, Aldridge goes crazy against the Rockets. On the other hand, the Rockets signed D.Howard for this very moment. Harden is a monster and Bev is a pest. If Jones comes alive (which I expect given how Portland has shut him out) and Parsons and Lin get their shooting stroke going I feel positive. However, I think HC was critical in this series, because it is going seven hard fought games. Rockets edge them out but not by much.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Keys:

1. Jones vs LMA. If jones can force LMA to guard him, Rockets win.
    2. Harden needs to control Wes Matthews.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this team can find the defensive chemistry (helping just enough at the right time), then I think it will be a 5 game series.

But we may end up losing the first game. Portland right now seems more confident and poised, more hungry right now. We might be a bit relieved to have HCA and guys may be a bit complacent.

I would not be surprised if some of our team defensive issues comes to bear out in the first game and we lose HCA. But I think it will be ok as we can split it Portland.

So...expect us to struggle the first few games while we find our defensive heart but from there we'll be ok.

12. steady

steady Member

Portland does seem like they're on a roll right now ... but all this stuff their fans keep saying about how we are the worst match up for Blazers. That kind of noise should help the Rockets in the mental part of the game.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Asik was pouting and did not play a single game against Portland through the regular season I believe until the last game. I think Asik can do a better job in the Play Offs.

14. jocar

jocar Member

Our secret weapons are Harden's defense and Lin's offense (hopefully). Nobody sees it coming!

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The Rockets are just as posed, confident and hungry. People tend to forget Howard and Beverely were out with injuries for at least 2 weeks or so.

We win this series 4-2.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Asik started in the 1st meeting against the Blazers. And indeed, dude was balling when D12 got injured and imo his performance will carry over into the playoffs. He will be playing heavy minutes if Jones either get into foul trouble or if LMA keeps handling him like a step child.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Harden can play the best he can play and that won't get us to the WCF alone. D12 is way more volatile. If he gives us 22/14/3 and is the best defensive player in the playoffs then we could seriously increase our championship chances from like 5-7 % to like 12-17 %

18. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

I think our strategy will be to let Howard and Harden get theirs, and hope we can do a better job on Parsons and that Lillard can get Beverley out of his head.

Pretty much, the view from our side is that everything for us has to go right for us to win the series, where the Rockets have some wiggle room and can still win.

My heart says the Blazers win, but my head tells me it's Rockets in six.

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Beverley has looked good in the 3 games he has played since coming back from the injury.

That being said, it wouldn't be surprising if he went out at any time.

20. torocan

torocan Member

I suspect the Rockets strategy will be somewhat similar. Let LMA get his (single coverage) and try to keep Lillard and the rest of the Blazers out of the equation as much as possible.

LMA will score and we have nobody that can stop him, but Lillard is the head of the snake. Take him out of his game and the Blazers are a much lesser team due to a lack of ball handlers that can create.