1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Minor League Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Jun 24, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think we've pretty much confirmed that Luhnow is a serious asshat that rubs people the wrong way. That's still no excuse for the comical lack of journalistic integrity the chronicle writers have shown, this season in particular.

While I doubt there have been any outright lies, to say they have played with facts is an understatement.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm sure there are stories to back this up, but who confirmed this other than the media we're blasting right now?

1 person likes this.
  3. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

This. I have no idea how to perceive the Astros. I can live with McTaggart's read on the Astros (not too much in depth, but I trust it more than anyone from the Chronicle).

Welp... hopefully on to the fourth beat writer in 4 years hopefully. Maybe JJO is the bad egg tainting these guys. Evan seemed okay to start the year but just soured over really quick midway through the year... damn northerner.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Brian T. Smith is the worst. I get that he was with the Astros last year, but his current job is to cover the Texans. Yet he seems to live for moments to bash the Astros. It's ridiculous.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I had a chance to brain jjdo with a pool stick around Christmas 07, but I was trying to impress my future wife and baby mama, so I held back.

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

You may have failed the franchise, but it sounds like you had some valiant reasons. I assume you keep a pool stick on you in case an opportunity presents itself again?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Congratulations to the <a href="https://twitter.com/JetHawks">@JetHawks</a> who have advanced to the California League championship series! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RockTheHawk?src=hash">#RockTheHawk</a></p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/509209366977720320">September 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2014_09_08_lncafa_inlafa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jet Hawks take the second game in the California League championship, 3-0. Series is tied 1-1.

Earlier this week, Tri City lost their championship series, 1-2.

9. No Worries

Ruiz ends Game 3 with walk-off blast
    10th inning home run brings JetHawks a win away from title
    By Jason Schwartz / Lancaster JetHawks

LANCASTER, Calif. - Rio Ruiz lined a walk-off home run down the right field line to lead off the 10th inning and give the JetHawks a 4-3 win over the Visalia Rawhide in Game 3 of the Cal League Championship Series.

Ruiz's home run gave Lancaster a 2-1 advantage in the best-of-five series on Saturday night at The Hangar.

The home run was the first for Ruiz since July 30 and gave him his first RBI of the postseason. Ruiz had one walk-off hit in the regular season, a two-run double to beat the San Jose Giants during the first homestand of the season.

Vince Velasquez started for Lancaster but didn't factor into the decision. Visalia jumped on him for two runs on three hits in the top of the first inning.

The JetHawks picked up their first run in the third inning when Chan Moon blasted his first home run of the postseason to cut the Rawhide's lead in half.

Chase McDonald hit a towering drive to centerfield for a home run in the fourth inning to tie the game against Visalia starter Brandon Sinnery.

The game remained tied 2-2 into the seventh as Velasquez came back to the mound. Andrew Velazquez led off with a bloop single and Jose Queliz executed a hit-and-run on a base-hit to right field to put runners at first and third. Kevin Medrano followed with a double to give the Rawhide a 3-2 lead. Tyler Brunnemann came on in relief and retired the next three hitters to strand the runners.

Lancaster tied the game in the last of the seventh with an unearned run. Danry Vasquez walked against reliever Will Locante and Roberto Peña followed with a sacrifice bunt. Locante fielded the bunt and attempted to throw to second base but his throw bounced into centerfield allowing the runners to advance. Moon followed with an RBI groundout.

The JetHawks barely missed an opportunity in the ninth against Locante. McDonald doubled with two outs and Vasquez followed with a base hit to left field but Alex Glenn's throw to the plate beat McDonald for the final out of the inning.

Closer Andrew Walter (1-0) came on for the ninth and retired the side in order before pitching a scoreless 10th inning. He walked two batters in the 10th but struck out the side.

Reliever Joey Krehbiel (0-1) pitched a scoreless ninth inning but came back to the mound in extras and allowed Ruiz's shot to start the 10th.

Game 4 is Sunday at 5 p.m. in Lancaster. Kent Emanuel will make the start for the JetHawks.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tony Kemp gets a mention in Baseball Prospectus' Monday Morning Ten-Pack.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Looks like Lancaster is going to win the championship. Good stuff

1 person likes this.
  12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I don't know the man, but Luhnow was nice enough to indulge my request sign a ball for me at Spring Training. He was standing up on the landing above the locker room with his daughters. He brought them down signed a ball and politely chatted up my family for a couple of minutes. I thought it was pretty classy.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As they should have, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> high-A affiliate, <a href="https://twitter.com/JetHawks">@JetHawks</a>, win the California League championship. Stacked roster from start to finish.</p>&mdash; Ron Shah (@Rontrarian) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rontrarian/status/511738569166036992">September 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

Tyler Brunnemann, 40th rounder in 2013, named series MVP.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Brunnemann struck out 11 and allowed one run in 5.2 IP out of bullpen. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JetHawks?src=hash">#JetHawks</a></p>&mdash; Eric Smith (@Eric_L_Smith) <a href="https://twitter.com/Eric_L_Smith/status/511738952412573696">September 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did he sign it "Jeff Luhnow, The Smartest Man in the Room"? Because to believe some posters, he says that all the time!

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Did he get Cosart's permission before bringing his daughters with him?

That jerk Luhnow keeps bringing these youngsters into hallowed baseball grounds.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A stacked team that lost 2 1-1 picks from their roster (granted Appel was addition by subtraction for them).

17. No Worries

Josh Hader named Astros Minor League Pitcher of the Year
    by Greg Thurston

Sources say the Astros are preparing to announce Josh Hader as the organization’s Minor League Pitcher of the Year for 2014. The 20-year old lefty won 10 of 13 decisions and posted a 3.28 ERA in 123 & 1/3 innings between Lancaster and Corpus Christi.

Hader, acquired from the Baltimore Orioles in the 2013 trade deadline deal involving Bud Norris, has quickly become the top left-handed pitching prospect in the Astros farm system. Spending most of the 2014 season at hitter-friendly Lancaster of the California League, Hader was nothing short of dominant. With the JetHawks, Hader allowed only 76 hits while striking out 112 batters in 103 & 1/3 innings.

Hader was promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi late in the season and made five appearances for the Hooks. Although his walks and ERA sky-rocketed at the higher level (small sample size), his strikeout rate remained consistent. In three seasons in the minors, Hader has posted some extremely impressive numbers. His strikeout rate is 9.9 per 9 innings and his career ERA is 2.92. Josh now has 17 career wins compared to only nine losses.

Walks have been the only issue, as Hader has a career rate of 4.1 BB/9 IP. Some adjustments to his style could be helpful in that area and could prove to make Josh even more effective. Hader generally pitches from the third-base side of the rubber. He also takes a false step at the beginning of his delivery. Moving to the first-base side could help the lefty get a better angle to the plate (especially against left-handed batters) and losing the short first step might even help to add more velocity to his low-90′s fastball. Some refinement of his mechanics since being drafted by the Orioles already boosted Hader’s radar gun readings up from the mid-80′s.

At 6′ 3″ tall and only 160 pounds, Hader has a slender frame that figures to fill out as he gets older. His repertoire also includes a decent changeup as well as a curveball. Hader still looks to be a couple years away from making it to Houston, but if he continues to progress at his current rate we may see him even sooner.

Congratulations to Josh Hader on being named the Houston Astros Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

18. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Looks like the Rockies are taking Albuquerque. Where will our AAA be? Colorado Springs? Fresno?

Any pros/cons (other than further travel from big league club) to these places?

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why on earth would Colorado leave Colorado Springs? :confused:

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Just saw that Colorado Springs was ranked 23/30 in AAA attendance. Probably had something to do with it?

Rockies fans seem pissed on twitter.