1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Alonzo Gee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 19, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Alonzo Edward Gee ▪ Twitter: @GeeAlonzo

Position: Shooting Guard and Small Forward ▪ Shoots: Right
    Height: 6-6 ▪ Weight: 220 lbs.
    Born: May 29, 1987 (Age 27.051) in Riviera Beach, Florida
    High School: William T. Dwyer in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
    Recruiting Rank: 2005 (52)
    College: University of Alabama
    NBA Debut: March 11, 2010
    Experience: 5 years
    D-League: 36 G, 21.3 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 1.3 APG (Full Record)

I just wanted to create a thread to discuss him because I don't think many are familiar with him. He's got a chance to make the roster IMO, if he sticks to his strengths.

Haven't seen him play recently, but when he first went to Cleveland I remember he had some solid moments when he got a lot of PT. He's not great at shooting or creating, but he's got the size to play the 2, is physical, and has very good athleticism. He does have range on his jumper, so he can hit some threes, but at like 33%.

I don't know a lot about his personality, but he likes to dunk with authority, so there's some nastiness there, which I think we need.

Obviously these are highlights, but it'll give people an idea of what kind of plays he can make, even in limited minutes. The third clip shows his jumper.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/RrA_ewR0xvg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/RrA_ewR0xvg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/xpRNoYz1dS0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/xpRNoYz1dS0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/M9h_b0FK_S0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/M9h_b0FK_S0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

#1 RV6, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I remember what saying he would rather have Gee then Parsons.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Must be an insider :grin:

4. conquistador#11

i remember him dropping pts on us with our great defense.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Gee is considered a fantastic defender.

Byron Scott said he was one of best defenders in the league couple years back.

6. StrawberryJamm

So far all he has to do is beat out Covington for the backup 3 minutes. Doesn't seem unlikely.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And then Byron Scott got fired. :p

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wasn't sure about his defense, but i think that at least means he's not bad (I'm assuming Scott was exaggerating).

9. Nieto

Nieto Member

I just remember shooting 3's and posterizing everybody with Gee on 2k.

10. Jimmy Chitwood

Gee is a freak on 2K

11. Remii

Remii Member

Harden made the highlight tape... Lol.

I don't see why he won't be on the roster. Who else do we have that would keep him from making the team...???

12. Dwight_Hard

Dwight_Hard Member

Excited about this guy I believe he's the reason we didn't
    Pay kostas more.. Hope he pans out and get some minutes in the rotation

13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I've read posts like this on this forum about players for 15 years and maybe 1% of them prove to be true in real NBA situations. XYZ was the worlds greatest player in europe, Dleague, High School, College, 2K etc... Real NBA competition is.. quite.. different..

1 person likes this.
  14. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

That's one big *** mofo. (is mofo allowed on clutch fans?) I would not challenge him to fight at a bar for less than $75.

Basically, our star player is all offense. And he is really, really good at it.

So we are surrounding him with impenetrable defense in order to compensate.

We are basically going back to the JVG days, where it was all defense, and then Franchise. Although Harden is much better than Franchise.

15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If he does have any chance at the roster I guarantee it not because we picked up his option.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The difference is, there were no claims of him being great, at any level. I just said he had a solid stretch when he got PT, early on, in Cleveland. The OP is just to show he's not an absolute scrub and has a chance to be here this upcoming season.

17. NotChandlerParsons

Throws down some nice dunks but unless he massively improved on his 3-pointer in the offseason he won't even make the roster. 33 or below 3p% shooter and takes very few attempts.

18. NotChandlerParsons

That said, if he can improve it (maybe Harden and Howard spacing the floor will help) would provide some solid backup wing minutes.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If his defense is solid and he can draw some fouls with his physicality, then i think the Rockets will like having that option at the 2/3 spot. Although a lot of us like Johnson, it's hard to say what they'll do with him and how he'll handle the NBA. If Johnson goes to RGV, then we have no other defender at the 2, especially a physical one.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sound a like a fit to me. We need a defensive-minded squad.