1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Projecting Astros '15 Roster - Advocating FA/Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by travfrancis, Jun 13, 2014.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Craig Kimbrel or Aroldis Chapman

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Oh lord please no.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Obie and Miller are about the same age. Obie's has produced more so far and has an additional year of club control. Obie is a BoR guy...Miller is a MoR upside that may end up in the pen.

Not too familiar with Jenkins, but picked Ruiz because he was graded the same level of prospect.

Miller's upside potential is more valuable to Braves than Obie's current BoR production. Since Heyward is better than Upton, a Obie should be close enough in value assuming Ruiz and Jenkins are a wash.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There's a near-zero chance of those players being traded for Fowler or Castro. I'd prefer not to trade a starter for a bullpen piece short of it being a player like those guys.

The Braves have said their asking price for Upton is higher than Heyward.

Miller's upside makes him exponentially more valuable than Obie regardless of that fifth year of control. Even if Miller underproduces Obie over the next four years, the 'top prospect' premium can't be ignored. Obie would be more depth, Miller has the potential be a staff ace.

Put another way, would you trade Obie and his extra year of control for Miller? I would in a heartbeat.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I agree Obie isn't enough, but Appel is too much for a guy on the last year of his contract. Upton isn't as good as Heyward, so they shouldn't expect equal return.

I would offer any one of the other top pitching prospects, and probably one other top 15 guy. The contract situation would be huge to me.

6. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I completely disagree.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

45 Hits, 23 BB and 96 K's in 64 innings last year, that's pretty dang good

As for highest paid ever, that's gonna happen with a LOT of guys who aren't the best ever right now, Stanton just got the highest contract ever, and Stanton is good, but no where close to best ever

Robertson is very likely to end up back in NY regardless, he would just be my choice. If we upgrade several other areas but are still terrible in the pen, won't have any chance of competing for playoffs

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Upton is better offensively, but not by a lot. Over the last 3 years Heyward has a .775 OPS and Upton has an .812 OPS

Defensively Heyward is elite, one of the very best in baseball, which is why his WAR is so much better.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I wouldn't put Appel in the deal either. Mchugh plus another piece was offered up by a Braves fan on TCB. I'm hesitant to do that because McHugh could be more valuable than Upton next season alone, much less for 4 additional seasons. If Upton agreed to a contract extension of say 6 years, $120m, I'd be much more willing to include other players.

10. The Beard

I wouldn't put anything significant in a deal unless he agreed to an extension as a part of the deal. If he did agree, then i'd do something like Appel, Fowler and Corporan as I had mentioned earlier, but only with an extension.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Don't see any point giving up any elite talent for a good but not great player that is going to be a free agent in one season.

12. juicystream

He also had an ERA over 3 and didn't convert at an extremely high level.

Romo and Robertson have very similar careers. The biggest difference is one is 2 years older.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Braves get more for Upton, I hope Astros don't get him.

Miller's expected FV two years ago doesn't matter. Miller's expected FV today isn't that much greater than Obie's and it is more risky in my opinion.

Heyward is much more valuable than Upton. Heyward's WAR next season - Upton's next season will likely be greater than the difference between miller's 4 years and Obie's five.

And yes, I'd rather have Miller. If it was Obie and Heyward for Upton and Miller, I would, as you say, take Obie and Heyward in a heartbeat.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

he should fire his agent. Upton will test the FA waters.

15. The Beard

Era for relievers very over rated

One bad outing can skew the numbers for a month

16. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Stats we do care about: 5 blown saves and a couple of losses in close games. Qualls had 6 blown saves in far fewer chances. Both had a 5ER outing that killed their ERAs.

Personally, I don't know if paying Robertson more than 8 mil a year is worth it.

17. The Beard

Would love to have Qualls setting up for Robertson. I want to compete next year, won't happen with a poor pen.

A quick look at some of the money being thrown around already says 8 million ain't gonna buy what it used to

I think Robertson would be a great addition at 10-12 million, would help us win for than Feldman at 10 million (and I am not anti-Feldman)

18. The Beard

Some talk in Boston of putting Hanley in left and shopping Cespedes, depending on cost I wouldn't mind seeing him with Springer in our OF

19. juicystream

It is, but that is what we have for Robertson as a closer. Other than K's, his season was kind of disappointing.

He'd be an upgrade, but I don't think he is worth the money he wants. If I'm going to pay high dollars for a closer (and give up a draft pick), I'd want one that is truly special.

20. HstnSprtsFan101

Wow, the Red Sox sign Hanley & Pablo. They're lineup is too stacked for everyone to even start. I'd like to check on some of the guys who won't have a shot like Brock Holt, Allen Craig, Will Middlebrooks, Cechinni, & Jackie Bradley Jr. Their lineup will be unbelievable..they could still use a better catcher though..