1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

45 pts, 12 rb, & 7 assists...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

First off, relax. I am extremely happy with how this season has been going, obviously. With that said, I don't get Canaan being pulled when Bev came back after playing so well in his absence. Instead, Jason Terry is essentially backing up Bev and Harden. Canaan running the point off the bench could be such an offensive spark.

Again, we are 12-3, and that is awesome, in fact, it should be even more reason to give Canaan more playing time off the bench.

We are playing really well right now and I think it is obvious that this would make us better

2. basketballholic

He's in the discussion as of now. And that's pretty good. Those guys have all played substantially more NBA minutes than Canaan has. But his shooting numbers are right there with them. You should have seen enough Canaan balls from him by now to at least be able to see he's going to rise to the top level of shooters at the PG spot.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I found Clyde Drexler.

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

is he also an all star Mr. Drexler?

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As of now he's not even in the discussion. He's not even a regular rotation player yet. Like you said, all of those guys have proved themselves over substantially more NBA minutes.

If Canaan becomes a regular rotation guy and keeps shooting over 40% for at least a full season then he's in the conversation. He may get there but he's certainly not there yet. Proclaiming him the 2nd best shooting pg in the league is a bit premature after only 13 games and less than 300 minutes. That's similar to the people who proclaimed that Jeremy Lin was a star based off of an 18 game stretch of games with the Knicks.

6. basketballholic

Don't have to be a regular rotation guy, or a starter, or a playmaker to be in the discussion. I'm talking about the best shooters in the league at the PG spot. He's one of them.

7. AkeemOlaDROwon

Kyrie should be #3. Canaan could rise to top 5 but it's too small of a sample size to make that claim just yet. Great shooters do it over a period of time. Obviously that's not canaans fault. Over time we should see if he's an elite shooter..

8. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

The point is that most of the PG's who don't shoot as well as him could probably do much better if they didn't have to spend energy trying to do all the other things they do. You see how Harden's shooting percentages have dipped this year simply because he's putting more effort in defense? Yeah sure, Canaan is a great shooter. He better be, seeing as that's literally the only thing he does.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I've always said that the Rockets are deeper than it would seem.

You tell most people that they have Canaan, DMo, and Papa coming off the bench and most people will laugh...most people don't watch these players though every night and understand that they are pretty consistently good players. Young sure, and with that comes the occasional trash game from them or stupid mistake...but still quality players.

You add that with a solid vet in Terry and it's not this horrible bench.

It looks horrible now though because 3 guys are out. 3 guys that take up a lot of minutes in the rotation.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Disagree. Like I said, he is only shooting the ball when he feels good about it. Guys like Lillard have to create offense no matter what and they have to force things and even with that are still shooting a higher percentage than Canaan.

Curry and Calderon are both clearly better shooters. So that kills your argument right there. Additionally there's several other pgs that shoot a better or comparable percentage under much tougher conditions.

Canaan may develop into that kind of shooter but he's not there yet. From a Pure shooting perspective Canaan probably isn't even the best shooter on the Rockets...that would be Daniels.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Even Bill Walton thinks you're taking it a little too far...

12. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

boxden eh :confused:;)

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets' bench looks much better than expected. DMO has been playing well. His hook shot has been falling and he has a decent shake that helps him get it off. He plays good positional defense and moves well. He just needs to avoid weak fouls as they seem to come in bunches. His 3 ball is still a struggle.

Canaan just needs to sow up whatever keeping him off the court. Terry is nice, but he should be kept fresh for the playoffs.. he will be most valuable then. Keep him around 12 min/game. Harden is playing more minutes than I'd prefer. He's also expending even more energy than previous seasons due to increased effort on defense and carrying a bigger offensive load. Maybe Canaan play a little 2 guard sometimes. Four less minutes for James would work wonders.

Was thinking the same. I quoted dude's post to say something similar, but already said. :)

My dad used to think Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze said, "excuse me, while I kiss this guy":grin:

He was like, "okaaaay Jimi, if that's you"

14. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I think D-mo should start for balance, T Jones off the bench as 6th man. I love t jones he is one of my favourite players, but he could do wonders for our 2nd unit.

15. basketballholic

Curry is the best shooter among PGs. After him...there isn't consensus. Canaan is right there with the best of them. He'll continue to prove it. Watch it happen.

Of course, I'm the guy that told you last year that he was way better than Lin. We had to wait to see that but it's obvious now.