1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Klay Thompson: I'm the best shooting guard in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Harden's beard

That was at the very start of the season where Harden played very poorly, but as the season went on, Howard was more of the problem for this team's chemistry, not Harden.

Terry on Dwight's attitude on his reduced role on offense :

"Definitely. It was something that was openly spoken about throughout the season, that was one of the things that was hurtful to him and he couldn't understand it." Terry said.

"But I said 'Dwight, listen, at some point in your career, you are going to have to decide do you want to become a champion? If becoming a champion means set more screens, roll harder to the basket, run the floor more, then that's what you have to do. You can't worry about if I'm getting touches in the post. It doesn't matter. It's whatever your team needs you to do on that particular night to get the win.

"So, Daryl Morey didn't say we aren't going to give you the ball. We're just not going to give it to you in the post because that's not our style of play"

Howard: "There were times I was disinterested because of situations that happened behind the scenes that really hurt me. It left me thinking, 'This is not what I signed up for.'''

ESPN: What specifically are you referring to?

Howard: "I felt like my role was being reduced. I went to [Rockets general manager] Daryl [Morey] and said, 'I want to be more involved.' Daryl said, 'No, we don't want you to be.' My response was, 'Why not? Why am I here?' It was shocking to me that it came from him instead of our coach. So I said to him, 'No disrespect to what you do, but you've never played the game. I've been in this game a long time. I know what it takes to be effective.'''

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can still do all of that, just not from the PG position, let someone else bring it up and initiate, give it to him with 10 seconds left - instead of 24, let others touch the ball, move around.

I am sorry you don't understand the game of basketball, and how to go about winning, maybe one day, you will understand, but I doubt it.

Yes, he has said that many times, and continues to be completely wrong. Numerous players have come out and commented on it, pundits recognize it, the lack of chemistry and what that causes (both on and off the floor) is a MAJOR factor in winning.

Sure you don't have to LIKE the guys you are playing with but you have to respect them, or play your role, that did not happen this year, and we got lucky that Dwight was injured so much last year, but he knew that he was being paid anyway, so he had another year to dominate to get that new $$$$.......which caused major stink on this year's team.

DD

#422 DaDakota, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I assume that because he has not done off ball offense very much, yes, even in OKC. There's a reason why he came off the bench. They already had Westbrook dominating the ball. Durant actually was a better off ball player than Harden.

Whenever Harden came in, he held the ball. If he was sharing the court with Westbrook, they took turn holding the ball. OKC was not GSW. They didn't have a lot of movement and screening. They used the individual skills of Westbrook, Harden, and Durant to create.

Although they played together a significant amount of time, they preferred not starting Harden exactly because Harden wasn't, and has never been, showing a consistent off ball game. If Harden was like Ray Allen, he would have been starting for OKC and they might have won a championship already.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Exactly. Harden fanboys are delusional. The laughing stock of the league.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

never understood why every goddarn player got to have their loyal fanbase

even the most marginal players

6. Harden's beard

That's not what I meant. I was trying to say Harden doesn't have to take up so many of our possessions and be a 'ball-hog' so to speak, since he is more than willing to share the ball with others, if they are talented enough. Hell, Harden even willingly shared the ball with Beasley, you think he wouldn't do the same if we acquired another legit superstar?

What you're saying is Harden is a on-ball player, which is true, but there's no reason multiple on-ball players can't work things out and make their team better. In fact, Harden-Westbrook back court duo was the most deadliest pairing of 11-12 OKC, posting by far the best point differential (+13.9). Even Durant played better with Harden than WB at the time.

[​IMG]

All this system talk without super talent is meaningless, look at what happened to the Spurs and the Hawks in the playoffs, they both failed to make the conference finals this year. GSW is great not because they have players playing off-the-ball, their greatness come from having two of the greatest shooters in NBA history. Yeah, it's easy to come up with a 'system' when you have players of that caliber. Other three teams, Cavs, Raptors, and OKC are more ISO-heavy, individual-talent dependent teams, and there is still a good chance that one of them will win the championship this year.

7. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Eating my words. Thought klay gets his shot off with the help of curry. He was in a freaking zone Saturday and can get his shot off anytime and from anywhere and make it. Playing the best ball on goldenstate.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We're talking about fat dgaf harden

Obviously previous harden was an mvp caliber player

9. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

He does make a good case of being the best shooting guard in the NBA I'm not sure....but he sure as heck better than James Harden who didn't even make an All NBA team

10. verysimplejason

Klay = 1 championship
    Harden = 0 championship

Playoff performance? :rolleyes:

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

hmm...

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Igoudala has a Finals MVP and a championship, brah. You think the Warriors would rather have Andre over Klay? You have very poor reasoning.

13. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

So Robert Horry is the best SF is all time?

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

And Adam Morrison is twice the player Tracy McGrady ever was.

The playoff success argument never makes sense...

15. ln3012

ln3012 Member

if it came down to Finals Game 7, an argument could be made for Andre over Klay

16. Drogba

Drogba Member

This is hands down the dumbest post I've seen on this forum.

Horry > Hakeem since he's 7/7 in the NBA finals.

17. verysimplejason

Lol! Pure misconception. I'm talking of Klay and Harden. My point is, Klay is doing it within the concept of a team. Harden does it for himself alone. He doesn't even care about defense or rotating the ball. This explains why Klay got lower stats compared to harden due to that. And one more thing, the stat does not show their impacts on the other end of the court. Did you watch Klay defending LBJ or Kyrie? Let's do the same thing with Harden. LOL! :rolleyes:

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

COUNT DA RINGZZZZ HUR DUR DURRRRR

19. verysimplejason

and? what do u mean?

20. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

It's crazy to think that just a year ago that Harden was considered an MVP candidate. Now he can't even make all nba teams and the concept of him being MVP is laughed at.

It's come to this that it can be argued that he's not even as good as Klay Thompson. The sad thing is you can make an argument for either Harden or Klay, and from a basketball perspective and considering defense, you wouldn't be entirely wrong if you thought Klay is better.