1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Hank Conger

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 5, 2014.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

Another trade is coming three catchers on the MLB roster would be very odd.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I checked yesterday to see if he had written something about this trade considering this is one of his hot topics.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not sure if I like the trade or not

I do know this is the most I've ever read pitch framing in my life

5. Buck Turgidson

I guess you never paid attention the decade-ish that Brad Ausmus was the Stros catcher, or never watched Mike Matheney for the Cards, or if you did you just b****ed about offense like most everybody else.

Can't blame anybody too much, chicks dug the longball back then and whatnot.

6. msn

msn Member

To be fair, of all the (well-deserved) defensive accolades Ausmus got, "pitch-framing" wasn't the most commonly mentioned. I'm not sure the metrics had been developed by that time. I mean, we all knew by watching that the guy was legend with the mitt. Ausmus was so great to watch behind the plate--a clinic every time.

7. Buck Turgidson

All you had to do was watch, guy had incredibly soft hands. That's what "pitch framing" (****ing buzzwords) means: set a steady target with your body whichever side of the plate the pitch is supposed to be; know where the umpire is setting up (different umps have different setups and different strikezones); don't be jerk-ey while the pitcher is in motion; center the glove on your body, don't reach or stab with the glove to catch anything, always be slightly bringing the glove back to the plate as you catch the ball. That's "pitch framing".

8. msn

msn Member

exactly.

9. The Beard

Actually, I never said I don't understand what pitch framing is

Just said it's the most I've ever read about it

To be fair, you can go through numerous threads on here and no one was mentioning it until this trade, which I also never said I didn't like

But if it makes you feel better to say I b**** about offense then go ahead. It isn't true, but go ahead anyway

Sheesh

10. The Beard

Ausmus was great!

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

This guy is arguably the best pitcher framer in MLB and one of the top 5 defensive catchers. Right now all his value is in his glove, but his minor league hitting numbers were pretty good, so there may be a little hidden value in the bat that we haven't seen just yet.

Sucks to let Tropeano go, but I think this was a good trade from a value standpoint.

12. newAge_Rockets

He can't even catch a ball.

Pathetic hitter.
    Incapable of coming close to throwing out a steal attempt.
    Cannot handle pitches in the dirt and very little catching skill at all.

Conger hurts our team every time he is in the game, and I'm starting to think that Luhnow is only keeping him on the Major League roster to not show that he made a terrible mistake. I don't even care if NiTro is ever any good, this trade was a failure because it made us worse.

13. Major

Major Member

Dude has a 0.750 OPS as a backup catcher. What exactly are you expecting?

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

No professional manager makes decisions based on whether fans would realize he was wrong. That's ridiculous. Have some faith in the man that has propelled us to not only relevance but legitimate competition.

His average and OBP are career highs. He has never had a great arm, but it's true his numbers this year suck. I suspect this is due to him being paired with particular pitchers to a certain extent.

Conger is not the problem.

15. Buck Turgidson

He is not as good a defensive catcher as we were told he was when they got him.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

From what I gather, the Astros have the second best pitch framing in the majors just behind the Cubs. I think Luhnow values the framing more than blocking balls or throwing out runners.

17. Buck Turgidson

Sure, he's a great receiver, but he is average to terrible at everything else. If you're just giving, and I mean giving, the other team extra bases whenever they want, that pretty much negates any benefit I can see.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Four page thread about the backup catcher...