1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Possible Home for Space Shuttle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Wakko67, Apr 5, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yes, I've held the heat 'shield' material in my hands -- it's very soft -- similar to styrofoam, but much less stiff.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is why the very notion of graffiti art confounds me. Seems if they had any real talent or drive they'd build or create something functional rather than deface other's works.

3. updawg

updawg Member

They are ceramic tiles and I don't think a pressure washer would be good. But I don't think that part of the body has them and I'm not sure what they have on that model anyways

I hope they catch the little ****ers that did this.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If we had the shuttle and we had to spent some money to fix it up I bet the citizens of houston would have been like lets scrap the shuttle. So I don't think we really deserved it.

5. KingCheetah

I saw this thing driving down Nasa Rd 1 last weekend -- pretty impressive -- i'll definitely take a tour someday. I've seen the shuttle on the 747 in person at Ellington so I think they did a good job judging from the photo gallery in the article. I'll have to reserve full judgement until I see it myself.
    _____

[​IMG]

Shuttle replica lands on 747 for new Houston exhibit

HOUSTON – Crews used a crane Thursday to hoist a replica of a space shuttle orbiter to its new home atop a modified jumbo jet at Space Center Houston.

The replica named Independence was eased on top of the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, or SCA, and workers began securing the pair for a new $12 million exhibit at NASA's Johnson Space Center.

The Boeing 747 formerly transported shuttles piggyback to Florida following flights. Visitors will be allowed to enter both vehicles when the permanent exhibit opens in 2015.

"The experimental exhibit will feature the remarkable history of the shuttle program and its role in shaping current NASA initiatives to explore asteroids, the moon, Mars, and beyond," according to a statement on the Space Center Houston website.

The replica's former home was Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex; it was removed to make way for the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit. While on display here, it was named Explorer.

A raised platform allowed visitors to peer inside.

Hundreds of people attended ceremonies Thursday morning, dubbed "Rise of Independence," before the replica was moved on top of the SCA in a delicate operation streamed live online, to the tune of patriotic music.

The SCA reached its new home at the nonprofit Space Center Houston on April 30 after being moved, in pieces, on a highway from Houston's Ellington Field.

The replica was a consolation prize for Houston, which is home to Mission Control but lost out in obtaining one of NASA's four retired space shuttles. The name Independence was the winner from among more than 10,000 entries received last summer by officials at Space Center Houston.

The center still needs to raise $2.2 million to complete the exhibit, according to its website. The combined attraction will stand more than 8 stories tall.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/t...eplica-hoist-atop-jumbo-jet-houston/14059039/

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

A SCA indoors will be cooler than a dumb replica shuttle. I will go see it for that. Is it gonna have engines?

7. Raven

Raven Member

Houston's mayor let a real shuttle slip through our fingers, and I have little interest in a replica. Maybe Houston should start electing stronger mayors, so we can get #### done.

1 person likes this.
  8. MexAmercnMoose

i'm actually involved in this project...feels good working on cool things like this

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Houston doesn't care about civic projects.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the news, KC. I think that's groovy and deserving of a visit someday by yours truly.

11. KingCheetah

Any interesting news -- I've heard they went to great lengths to make the replica shuttle look as real as possible. Is this true?

12. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Looks like they did a good job -- from this picture of course.

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

14. Buck Turgidson

The mayor? LOL, that's a bit above her pay grade. It was all congress.

**** Chuck Schumer.

15. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

So you're blaming the mayor for Houston not getting a shuttle and implying that she's not a good enough mayor?

For realz?

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The mayor has no culpability?

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Damn , H-Town got a replica shuttle and an old school hip hop station in the same week?

18. BonziWellsGOAT

What station?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What the **** does a mayor have to do with Federal programs and property?

What about a stronger Governer? Stronger Senator?

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member