1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Possible Home for Space Shuttle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Wakko67, Apr 5, 2011.

1. rage

rage Member

I think the time was extended because it is staying just for one night.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

#222 Uprising, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. AB423

AB423 Member

I seen the shuttle fly off today at around 1030am, it was pretty cool to see it fly off. There was a jet flying next to it too.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"This picture was captured this morning by one of my co-workers as the shuttle Endeavour flew over downtown Houston..."

From my FB feed -- small world.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Passing over Toyota Center, posted on Rockets facebook page

[​IMG]

6. KingCheetah

Shuttle to make a low pass over downtown Austin tomorrow at about 7:30 AM.

7. KingCheetah

I can't believe the first time I ever saw a shuttle on the back of a 747 was about 1976-77. I never got to see a launch live, but I saw one super close at Ellington on the back of a 747 around 1990 and I saw a re-entry over Texas that was amazing. A plasma trail from one side of the horizon to the the other -- the shuttle was going about 15K and had already landed in Florida by the time we made the 10-15 minute drive back to my friend's house.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I saw one passing over the Medical Center, I'm thinking 1990 or 1991.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L-yWNAKyXFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. updawg

updawg Member

Went to the Capitol to see it fly by this morning. Sad to see it go.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I got to see a launch from Vero Beach back in 2009. Pretty surreal watching it in person after seeing so many on TV.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Seriously one of those goosebump moments that transcends most things. It's honestly how I felt the only time I was close to a President, even if I didn't want the dude to be President. :)

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston didn't get a real Space Shuttle but it did get the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft.
    http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/20...-shuttle-to-go-atop-historic-nasa-747-carrier

Houston's mock shuttle to go atop historic NASA 747 carrier

HOUSTON — They say that everything is bigger in Texas, and that certainly goes for Space Center Houston's newly announced space shuttle exhibit.

Space Center Houston, which serves as the official visitor center for NASA's Johnson Space Center, revealed plans on Thursday to display its full-size space shuttle mockup atop the historic jumbo jetliner that ferried the real orbiters after their return from space and delivered them to their museum homes.

NASA transferred ownership of its original Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA), a modified Boeing 747 jet, to Space Center Houston on Thursday, setting in motion the visitor center's plans to pair the replica shuttle it received last June with the airplane that landed in Houston five months later. [How NASA Flew Space Shuttles on 747 Jets (Photos)]

"This is an exciting day for Texans, as we accept the SCA from NASA and assume the awesome responsibility for its modifications, showcasing its legacy and adding a one-of-a-kind experience to our complex," said Richard Allen, president and chief executive officer of Space Center Houston. "We look forward to accepting the challenge of raising funds for this amazing endeavor as we prepare for the next phase of this major expansion."

The new $12 million outdoor complex, named "The Shuttle and 747 Carrier," is to open to the public in February 2015.

"The Shuttle and 747 Carrier will give visitors the world's first and only all-access pass to an authentic and realistic journey through the inside of the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft as well as an unforgettable experience aboard the full-scale shuttle model," Space Center Houston stated in a release. "The up close and personal access to American aviation history will reveal the shuttle program's amazing ingenuity, clever innovation and awe-inspiring complexity."

An artist's rendering of the planned exhibit shows the 747 jumbo jet, known by its tail number "NASA 905," parked outside Space Center Houston where the space shuttle mockup sits today. A gantrylike structure sits next to the air- and spacecraft combo that will provide visitors the opportunity to climb inside both vehicles.

The carrier aircraft is currently at Ellington Field, home to Johnson Space Center's aircraft operations, located about 5 miles (8 kilometers) from Space Center Houston. To get the aircraft to the visitor center, its wings and tail will be removed, and its fuselage will be sectioned in three.

The jumbo jet is expected to be in place at Space Center Houston by this November. The work to hoist the 130,000-pound (60,000-kilogram) shuttle mockup atop the airplane will follow during the first quarter of 2014.

Before the model orbiter leaves the ground however, it will need to undergo some repairs and modifications, including the installation of attachment hardware to mount it on the back of the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. Space Center Houston also plans to upgrade the interior of the mockup, including replacing its early-shuttle analog flight deck displays and controls with the "glass cockpit" digital version that was in use later in the program.

The shuttle mockup arrived in Houston by barge from the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida, where it debuted in 1993. Known then by the name "Explorer," it was designed and built by aerospace replica manufacturer Guard-Lee Inc. using schematics, blueprints and archival documents provided by NASA and the shuttle contractors.

NASA 905 was one of two Shuttle Carrier Aircraft in the space agency's fleet. The final ferry flight for the shuttle program delivered the retired Endeavour orbiter to Los Angeles for the California Science Center last year. The jumbo jet's final overall flight was in December, when it was flown for an hour-and-a-half proficiency flight from Ellington.

In service to the shuttle program for 35 years, NASA 905 flew 70 out of the 87 ferry flights during the space shuttle program's operational phase, including 46 of the 54 post-mission flights from the Dryden Flight Research Center in California to Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Converted from an American Airlines passenger jet, 905 was NASA's first SCA and it flew the 1977 approach and landing tests with the prototype orbiter Enterprise.

Space Center Houston plans The Shuttle and 747 Carrier exhibit to be more than a public attraction, but also serve as the centerpiece for new educational programs to inspire students to consider careers in math and science fields.

[​IMG]

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vandals spray racial, political graffiti on Space Shuttle Independence

CLEAR LAKE, Texas -- Visitors found racial and political graffiti on one side of the full-size space shuttle replica outside Space Center Houston early Wednesday.

“Houston we are the problem,” was among the writing on the side of Space Shuttle Independence.

The graffiti included at least one racial slur along with other offensive messages. Black paint was also sprayed on part of the structure that holds up the replica.

A tour bus operator was among the first to discover the vandalism as he dropped off visitors early Wednesday morning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#234 J.R., Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

well this is sure to make national news after the fit we threw when we weren't awarded one of the real shuttles.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe it is good we didn't get a real shuttle. It's probably not very easy to get spray paint off of the actual heat shielding material.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Minnesota was in the running for a shuttle? WTF they didn't contribute anything to the space program. This makes me even more pissed Houston got nothing.

18. droxford

droxford Member

I bet it wasn't done by people from Houston. You never hear Houstonians actually use the "we have aproblem" line - it always comes from people external to Houston.

19. Buck Turgidson

You think a pressure washer would mess up the surface that can withstand atmospheric entry?

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Are any of the real space shuttles kept outdoors?