1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walk or Stand Still on Escalators?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Jul 6, 2015.

?

What do you do?

1. Walk Up/Down

64 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Stand Still

43 vote(s)
    40.2%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

My gf and I stand on both sides and we hold hands so people can't overtake us.

1 person likes this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I feel like I'm probably the least patient person in the world when it comes to traffic, lines, and waiting but I've never thought about people being in my way on a mall escalator. If you're expecting compliance at that level, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

who the hell walks on the escalators?

4. tomato

tomato Member

Whenever somebody tries to pass me on an escalator, I make them go back to the end of the line, so to speak.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With my kids, I'll stand. Without them I generally walk unless there's a person in front of me. I won't pass someone on an escalator unless I have a compelling reason (running for a plane or something). It's not like I'm going to block someone from passing me, but it strikes me as a bit rude to pass. I'll climb till I reach the guy in front of me and then I'll stand and wait.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Walk in the left, stand on the right, although I hate when isiots either stand on the left or stand on the right and block the entire escalator (this happens a lot on smaller escalators like the DC metro).

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I always run up/down the crowded escalator at the Toyota Center before and after Rockets games. Fat lazy BMIs act like I'm the one doing something out of the norm.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Where are you going in such a hurry? I'm not at all out of shape, or the type of person that goes out of their way to avoid walking, but I've never felt the need, nor had the urge to run up an escalator. From my own personal experience virtually everybody is a "stander". I don't remember ever blocking somebody coming up or down.

At the airport I can understand, people have deadlines,I've only flown a handful of times. I can certainly see how that would bother you. But at the Galleria, or a sporting event?

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I almost always walk. I usually think of escalators as a convenience to help me get to my destination faster, not as a convenience to allow me to let the machine do all the work.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I always walk. Aint nobody got a single minute to waste. I could be on pron for all those extra minutes wasted standing and get a quick nut

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

In the Tube in London, the escalators are actually marked to stand right, walk left. This makes a big difference for some on commutes as there are often very long and multiple escalators on the Tube.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Walk if I'm on the way to something I'm looking forward to (going home from work).

Stand if I'm on the way to something I'm not looking forward to (arriving at work).

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

Why do you even need to walk up the escalator at the mall? Are you in such a hurry to get to Hot Topic or Pacsun?

Take the stairs if you want to pass people.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably stand still everywhere other than in an airport. Younger brother had a nasty spill at the San Jacinto Foley's back in the '80s, I can still see his bloody stomach scars that looked like the interlocking teeth on the stairs.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Miller Outpost, Coda, Craig's or Time-Released Molding Chinese Food.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Correct. I stand when I'm with someone else, particularly the girlfriend or an older family member. I walk when I'm by myself.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

__[​IMG]__

This is me at Toyota Center when I'm late to the game...:eek:

18. VanityHalfBlack

Stand still behind a girl in skirt and peek-a-boo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QUMGJ7wtuk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'm down to stand around and not care if people pass me on an escalator, but on a moving walkway in an airport it's full on sprinting maximum warp.

20. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

First thing that occurred in my mind too. We really could learn a thing or two about being courteous by watching how they are with certain things. This is in japan, where most escalators are pretty crowded. You'd see a line forming on the stand side and allow people to walk in case they need to be in a hurry.

The other thing I noticed is how often people will actually turn their phones off or on vibrate once they got on a train or other public transportation. While it's not a peeve for me to hear people talk on their phones while on the tram, etc., I am more than happy to follow Japan's courtesy "laws" whenever I got on a train, etc. It actually feels pretty good to know that there are "unwritten rules" to just be courteous.