1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So how long until Rick Smith is gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jayhow92, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly. . . how long was he here?

No Doubt

I guess I am thinking . . . . The same 'team' hired both of them

I think Rick will get fired this season''s end . .. . no later than next

Rocket River

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What's everybody's thoughts on Braine gaine? We where suppose to have a bunch of front office changes earlier if I'm not mistaken. I think Rick smith was suppose to be PROMOTED and gaine was suppose to be new GM. And what would everybody say and think about McNair if he does end up giving the boot to Rick smith?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Casserly was here for essentially 4 years. He stayed on for the first draft with Kubiak after that but then was gone.

I don't think we need to have BOB here for that long. The results are in.

But BOB may successfully pin all the blame on Rick

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Your not buying what BOB is trying to sell?

5. Nook

Nook Member

I am not buying what the organization is trying to sell.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't even know if Smith is the problem. We don't know what he does. The draft selections have been horrible, but I don't even know if Smith is involved with that.

What good will replacing Smith do if he he's not responsible for anything. Replace a guy that does nothing for another guy that does nothing?

7. Mr. Clutch

Supposedly Rick heads the scouting department and actually completes any trades, transactions, etc.

BOB is the guy ultimately choosing the players. He has finally say on the roster.

Rick decides how much to pay in a new contract or give up in a trade. He is the one managing the salary cap.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder. . . .

If BOB says I want Mallet
    Rick says he too expensive
    Bob says . . GIT ER DONE

Does Rick say No or does it PAY THE MAN

Rocket River

9. Mr. Clutch

Well my opinion is Rick and BOB will try to throw each other under the bus.

One man survives, even though neither should.

McNair is ultimately responsible for this situation

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That's how I thought Rick survived the Kubiak housecleaning. Or at least I might have heard it speculated on sportsradio years ago and it stuck with me. For the first 4-5 years of their tenure, Rick was pretty reclusive, you'd never hear from him or much written about him. And then maybe during the Watt uprise or the 2011 season he shows up and has a radio show, game interviews, pressers, etc.

If it takes sacrificing BOB to get rid of Smith let it be done. BOB may be a good coach someday, but if he's the price you pay for a ground floor rebuilding with a Thompson or Newsome guy in the FO then sure.