1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Cinema] Whiplash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobmarley, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Wow! I just finished this amazing movie and I still have the anxious shakes like I was living the movie. One more time, wow!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7d_jQycdQGo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do yourself a favor and watch this movie.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Best movie of the year, IMO. Absolutely amazing. JK Simmons deserves an Oscar.

3. what

what Member

Looks like another drab psychological Black Swan type movies.

Glad you liked it. But not my cup of tea.

This generation LOVES gritty movies. Do yourself a favor and go watch Masquerade Staring Meg Tilly and Rob Lowe.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Then hightail it to Sam Goody for the new Roxette LP, and call that 1-900 number if you want the Joker to kill Robin.

5. what

what Member

I just think new films that don't deserve the merit they get are routinely hailed as the best thing since slice cheese.

Could there be a more banal premise for a story than an overbearing instuctor in film. Where's the originality in that. But because the director makes the portrayal "gritty" it is somehow a great film? Really?

They are making everyday, mundane life and giving them the "Blow [johnny Depp] treatment".

For that matter, go watch Cujo if you want to see a ridiculous injection of "suspense" into an everyday setting. At least the dog has a reason to be ****ty to people.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hot-Take-'what' is at it again!

7. MystikArkitect

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cxo0pSNYMXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol

RACK HIM!

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

just watched it and you are right it is a great movie definitely worth the watch

10. bobmarley

Looks like... you are basing everything on a movie trailer.

Not my cup of tea... Then why are you even commenting?

This generation... Agist?

Do yourself a favor... make like a baby and head out of this thread.

11. Progs

Progs Member

Wanted to watch his but no longer in theatres.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think the guy in the movie is miles teller. But I have told a few people In the last 2 years that he is one of the next great actors. He is already pretty great at a young age, I will have to check this out.

13. bobmarley

He gives a great performance. If you enjoy him as an actor you will not be disappointed.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

You should give it a try. JK Simmons is about to show the world he's on Rob Lowe's level.

15. VanityHalfBlack

For a best picture nominee, I thought this movie was gonna come out swinging and whooping some ******g ass. I gots maybe 40% of that with Miles Teller and J.K Simmons. If this movie is going to be nominated it should be for the performance by those two and maybe in the editing dept but other than that, the story is pretty straight forward and actually kid friendly. Paul Reiser was weak as hell in this movie, and the girlfriend???? What was her point in this movie?

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Pretty awesome movie. I don't think it'll win best picture because of the strong cast of nominees. But Simmons definitely deserves an Oscar.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I didn't realize Tenzin could be so mean! JK Simmons was amazing in this role.

Could he have gone up for lead actor, instead of supporting?

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Saw it tonight, outstanding movie. I still preferred Boyhood for Best Picture. I think Boyhood has much more depth and many of the scenes are so poignant.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Paul Reiser was barely in the movie. Are you saying you wanted more of him and less of Miles Teller or JK Simmons?

And as to the girlfriend, she was there so they could show the depth to which Andrew was willing to be the best. It's one thing to see him practicing until his hands bleed. But that's just physical pain. We also see him totally shedding any and all emotional connection outside of the box him and JK Simmons have created...all so he can be the best. That, to me, is a bigger deal than just practicing so hard he bleeds.

20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Saw this on the plane ride to Shanghai about a month ago. It was a great movie. J.K. Simmons nailed it.