1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

From 247

-- Specifically along both lines of scrimmage, Strong is thrilled about the depth the Longhorns have in on the roster entering his third season. Improved depth is another reason why Strong is feeling much better about his team right now compared to this time entering each of his first two seasons.

“We have depth, which we’ve never had before,” Strong said. “Now when somebody goes down you don’t cringe as much because you feel like you’ve got help. You feel like you’ve got guys who come on.”

-- Strong’s approach to recruiting was a hot topic. He was asked by a reporter if at some point he plans on changing how he handles the recruiting cycle by taking early commitments.

“What do I need to change?” Strong said. “I’m not trying to be funny, but the recruiting isn’t going to change.”

Strong isn’t opposed to taking early commitments. However, as he put it, most of the players you want who can make a difference won’t make a final decision until signing day anyway. It’s fun that way, Strong said, since the way Texas recruits allows him to take two or three guys each cycle to recruit by himself.

The bottom line on recruiting, as far as Strong is concerned, is if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

“When you get what you want to get it doesn’t matter,” Strong said. “When a young man commits early then you know what school you’ve got to go beat.”

-- How complicated has the veer-and-shoot offense been to learn? Not very, Strong said. The terminology hasn’t changed all that much for players who have been in the system in high school like Davion Curtis and Lorenzo Joe; both are making calls and helping their teammates learn the offense further in summer workouts, Strong said.

“There’s not a lot to it,” Strong said. “It’s about finding the open space. (Sterlin Gilbert) puts the ball in the right place. He’s going to take what the defense gives him. It’s not complicated at all. It really isn’t.”

-- One topic that’s been brought up a lot this offseason is what defensive alignment might be best for the Longhorns to use. When asked if he’s ditching the “30 Stack” defense as a base defense, Strong’s answer shed some light on why the Longhorns consider themselves a multiple-front defense.

“I’ve never been based out of a 3-3-5,” Strong said. “It was part of our defense. It was a change-up. You’re either in a 4-2-5, you’re an even package or an odd package. ‘Over’ and ‘under’ is what we call it. But it’s something that is a part of our package.”

-- Strong clearly wasn’t happy with Texas’ third-down defense last season. When asked about how the Longhorns can improve in that area, Strong said there’s a simple solution to the problem.

“They know their assignments,” Strong said. “You’ve just got to make a play. You’ve got to get them off of the field.”

(Photo: Don Bender/Horns Illustrated, 247Sports)
    -- If our sources are right, it’s only a matter of time before Shane Buechele will be named the team’s starting quarterback. In addition to his physical ability to run the veer-and-shoot, intangibles are where Buechele measures off the charts.

One example of Buechele’s leadership ability and how he’s winning the locker room is the way he’s handled his fellow freshmen who arrived in June. Buechele, who works out with the veterans in the morning, shows up at the Moncrief Complex when all of the other freshmen work out at 2 p.m. to encourage his teammates.

“He comes in there at 2:00 and he sees every one of those guys,” Strong said. “He comes in, shakes their hand. [He’ll say] hey, good luck today and kinda laughing about how his workout went. But he comes by there every day. They see Shane. He’s going to come by and say something to those freshmen every day.”

Strong and the coaches aren’t asking Buechele to lead the team by himself. With that said, it’s becoming clear that Buechele has what a few team sources have told us is the “it” factor, even if the staff has been hesitant to go all-in on the praise of Buechele to that extent.

“I don’t think pressure will ever affect him,” Strong said. “He’s just one of those guys that just has that presence. He knows how to work and how to train and how to go about doing things.”

-- Even if Tyrone Swoopes isn’t the starting quarterback he’s still going to play a big role on the field in 2016. That’s because Strong said the “18 Wheeler” package isn’t going anywhere.

“That package produced a lot of points for us and that was a good package for us,” Strong said. “That’s something you don’t just eliminate from your offense.”

-- D’Onta Foreman and Chris Warren complement each other and they respect each other, Strong. Strong is extremely high on what the 249-pound Foreman and the 252-pound Warren bring to the table, but there’s another reason why he’s anxious to get them on the field in August.

“They’re probably carrying a little too much weight than what they should,” Strong said. “They know it. They’re getting in shape and trying to trim down their bodies.”

-- Kent Perkins eventually kicking inside to guard is a scenario Strong said is on the table. Whether that happens or not will depend on how how the true freshmen (aside from spring enrollee Zach Shackelford) come along when the pads come on.

“We [will] explore all options there,” Strong said. “We just want to make sure Perkins is happy because he can do a lot of different things. He can play a lot of different positions.”

-- Will Malik Jefferson be playing on the inside or will he be free to roam on the outside defensively? Strong was asked specifically if the emergence of Anthony Wheeler will allow Jefferson to play outside more. His answer indicated that he continues to like Jefferson (for his leadership ability among other traits) in the middle.

“You’ve got Malik inside and you’ve got Wheeler inside and both of those guys compliment each other,” Strong said. “Malik’s the MIKE and Wheeler’s the WILL ‘backer. He’s a guy you keep covered up because he’s not very big but he’s a guy who’s athletic and can run.”

When talking about linebacker depth, Strong said Edwin Freeman is a player who “needs to come on.”

-- “You’re loaded at talent in the secondary,” Strong said of his defensive backs. With that said, the one player he couldn’t stop gushing about was sixth-year senior cornerback Sheroid Evans.

We reported during the spring that Evans, who has missed each of the last two seasons with knee injuries, pushed Kris Boyd hard in the spring for the right to be the No. 3 cornerback. Strong didn’t have enough nice things to say about Evans and how he’s progressed since returning to action.

“It’s amazing what he’s done,” Strong said. “There’s not a harder worker on the team than Sheroid. Not a harder worker. And the players see that, and it’s so good because I want some good things to happen for him just because of what he’s done and what he’s put into it.”

-- While Jefferson gets credit, and rightfully so, for putting the Strong regime on the map with his commitment in December of 2014 to give the Longhorns the shot in the arm needed to finish the 2015 class the right way, Strong bestowed the same type of praise on one member of the 2016 recruiting class.

“You always need a guy to get it started and he was able to get it started that year,” Strong said. “This year it was Brandon Jones.” (Howe)

2 people like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ while I admit I don't read and remember every article, and that it wasn't quite as positive last year, it should be noted, it is always kind of positive at this time of year. I mean, of course it is, nobody is interested in being negative.

The big difference this year of course is Buechele. And that's good stuff to hear, but its still a freshman QB on a team coming off back to back mediocre years. There will clearly be growing pains.

The first 5 are ND, UTEP, Cal, OKSt., Oklahoma. 3-2 would be a good start.
    Split the next two against Iowa State and K-State, to move to 4-3
    Try and run the table against Baylor, Tech, WVU, Kansas to move to 8-3, and then finish at TCU with a loss.

8-4 upside scenario. 7-5 would be step in right direction.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The season needs to start now

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The Baylor game is tricky bc we will be coming off a bye week after playing KU, which is essentially another bye. UT plays on the road the week before so it sets up nicely for Baylor.

5. Buck Turgidson

They better not lose either of those 2 games.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Sept. 4: Notre Dame - Loss
    Sept. 10: UTEP - Win
    Sept. 17: at California - Win
    Oct. 1: at Oklahoma State* - Loss
    Oct. 8: vs. Oklahoma* (Dallas) - Loss
    Oct. 15: Iowa State* - Win
    Oct. 22: at K-State* - Win
    Oct. 29: Baylor* - Win
    Nov. 5: at Texas Tech* - Win
    Nov. 12: West Virginia* - Win
    Nov. 19: at Kansas* - Win
    Nov. 24: TCU* - Loss

Bold = Home games; * = Big XII conference game

Overall: 8-4
    Big XII: 6-3

I think we will be worse at the beginning of the year against tough opponents and better at the end. I'd be surprised if we split the Iowa State and K-State games.

7. Buck Turgidson

Sept. 4: Notre Dame - Probable Loss
    Sept. 17: at California - Probable Win/Toss Up
    Oct. 1: at Oklahoma State* - Probable Loss
    Oct. 8: vs. Oklahoma* (Dallas) - Toss Up
    Oct. 29: Baylor* - Probable Win/Toss Up
    Nov. 5: at Texas Tech* - Toss Up/Probable Win
    Nov. 24: TCU* - Probable Loss/Toss Up

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Whoops... for some reason my mind was thinking Iowa... which obviously is wrong. Iowa St. sucks.

So yeah, 9-3 as the crazy upside with the losses against ND, OU, TCU.

But there's obviously lots of opportunity to do much worse than that ;)

9. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Honestly, not concerned so much with W/L record THIS season. Just play better. Dont get blown out. Be competitive in all games and dont lose to Kansas or Iowa St. Its a young team, but need to see progress from returning players and from offensive scheme. 2017 is where we will be a contender. And the fan base and brain trust need to have faith in Strong as long as we see improvement. If all that goes to hell in a handbasket, ie 35-3 loss to ND in the opener, the Herman rumors will be strong all year long as they should be.

10. Brando2101

I agree. His first wave of players will enter their 3rd year and his last two great classes will have a lot of experience to draw upon.

It looks like there are enough realistic predictions. There is how I see it if they have a 9 win season.

Sept. 4: Notre Dame Win - Sunday on Primetime at Home with bruising RBs and a QB that can just drop back and get the ball out.
    Sept. 17: at California - Loss
    Oct. 1: at Oklahoma State* - Win (Played them very very very well last year and had some very questionable calls.
    Oct. 8: vs. Oklahoma* (Dallas) - Win
    Oct. 29: Baylor* - Win
    Nov. 5: at Texas Tech* - Loss (Trap Game)
    Nov. 24: TCU* - Loss

9-3

11. Brando2101

Some Updates:

Texas junior tight end Blake Whiteley and senior wide receiver Ty Templin are being placed on medical scholarships, which will end their football careers. With Whiteley and Templin, who have been long rumoured to be among the program’s attrition candidates, slated to not count against the 85-player limit, along with the recent transfer of wide receiver Ryan Newsome, Texas has the room available to add graduate transfer kicker Trent Domingue from LSU and Manor linebacker Erick Fowler for preseason practices. Domingue has signed a financial aid agreement and is set to arrive in time for the start of camp next week while Fowler has yet to fully qualify academically.

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who Side Are You Fighting For? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Believe?src=hash">#Believe</a><a href="https://t.co/AbX1Qjn6Ij">https://t.co/AbX1Qjn6Ij</a></p>&mdash; BUCK MAJOR (@BUCKwang999) <a href="https://twitter.com/BUCKwang999/status/754775123811373056">July 17, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

How much would you bet on these ND, OU, and Oklahoma State predictions? Just curious if there's an educated rationale there......or just homer wishful thinking?

I thought trap games were when a team was too busy thinking about a subsequent game to focus on the current game. Why would they overlook Tech thinking about West Virginia or Kansas? Seems like there would be no excuse for losing to Tech if they are good enough to knock off ND and OU. That's not to say they are above doing it - but I don't think "trap game" would be an excuse.

I'm no expert, but I'm a cynic at this point. Every year, there's something to get excited about........before the games start. I could see us winning a lot of games.......but I feel that's more of a reflection of the strength of our conference rather than an indication we're charging towards a championship in coming years. But I am an admitted cynic. People who started following the Longhorns during the Mack Brown years just think there's always going to be a championship contention around the corner. Man, there were decades of mediocrity before Mack Brown.

#7272 oakdogg, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe win them all and play USC at the end of the season.

14. Brando2101

We already had a bunch of %50 predictions or a bunch of "could go either way." I went from the standpoint of if they have a good year then what games would they win and what games would they lose.

I don't usually blame refs but the calls against Texas in the Ok St game were called out by a lot of non-texas fans. They beat OU last year so I don't see why it's not conceivable they could win again since I think the team will be better to some extent.

I picked the win against Notre Dame because if they have a good season then it means a lot of problems were fixed from last year and that would manifest itself in a win at home in primetime.

It's easy to dismiss Texas Tech when you're looking at the whole schedule but they play really well and their fans are insane when they host UT. I don't see trap games as only happening when you are thinking about future opponents. It has to do with how much you mentally prepared and overly confidence against an opponent. You're right, there is no excuse to lose to that team if you beat OU and Notre Dame but that's football. Great teams will lose to random mediocre teams despite beating other talented teams.

I agree about Fans during Mack's time. They got spoiled and just expected 10 win seasons. I'm not saying that I would bet my money that they win 10 games. I'm saying that if they have turned it around then I think this is how it could play out.

I feel very optimistic about 2017. 2016 could be good if Gilbert's system is simple enough for Buechele to step in and throw. It has been said it is a system that he is used to so it's possible. He has never been hit by a college defensive end and he won't be hit until Notre Dame so you never know.

I will say that the part of the team that I honestly think could bring them 9-10 wins in the running game. I have never seen the kid from Katy play but Chris Warren III could be unstoppable. It'll help the passing game with it. Actually, they would need to fit the disaster that was their defense or nothing will change.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Fair enough. Only questionable reasoning IMO was the support for a potential ND win. Sounded like (to paraphrase) - I think they will win, b/c that will mean we have improved a lot. haha

Everything else sounds cool, but I'm not convinced on OU - maybe Oklahoma State. I think most ppl would say the OU game last year had to be a fluke. What I like about college football is every game counts. But......you just look at the NBA playoffs & you know you can win significantly against a team in one game in sports (or even several) and still lose more over a series of games. If we played OU a series of games akin to the NBA playoffs, we probably lose 4-1. Because I have not heard anyone point to a still existing matchup that gives us the advantage.

You might be right about Oklahoma State, though there really is no reasoning as to why we would beat Oklahoma State and lose to California. We should have won both those games. I don't know much about those teams' prospects next year, but I know California lost that QB. I do think our performance against Oklahoma State was less of a fluke than against OU. I think we actually were a better team.

I am most concerned about that TCU game. If we cave, bend over, and get embarrassed again, I'm wanting Strong gone big time. It's not just W-L. We should not be getting humiliated against anybody. We may not be championship contender, but we have never been so low on talent to justify the kind of blowouts Strong has given up. Seeing these teams we've beaten and should beat blowing us out as a UT alumnus must be a bit like seeing the Germans march through Paris (I'm exaggerating of course).

Oh yeah - the one thing about the running game - I'm not sold this new OL coach is near as good as Wickline. Just being more agreeable doesn't necessarily mean so much.

#7275 oakdogg, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The stark warning for all who pass thru this facility... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texas?src=hash">#Texas</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Longhorns?src=hash">#Longhorns</a> <a href="https://t.co/OVnaiwlAqD">pic.twitter.com/OVnaiwlAqD</a></p>&mdash; George Whitfield Jr. (@georgewhitfield) <a href="https://twitter.com/georgewhitfield/status/759200286653157376">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Brando2101

Texas Longhorns have suspended sophomore wide receiver DeAndre McNeal indefinitely for a violation of team rules. McNeal is suspended but remains a member of the team at this time, according to a source.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source have told me that Texas sophomore WR DeAndre McNeal has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules</p>&mdash; Anwar Richardson (@AnwarRichardson) <a href="https://twitter.com/AnwarRichardson/status/760946394139983872">August 3, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds really serious. Indefinite suspension is standard protocol for anything that requires an investigation. He is a sophomore who played in 1 game last year.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sucks. Had big hopes for McNeal but this doesn't sound good at all.

On another note, apparently Heard has been working out at receiver and has looked pretty good. It was rumored that he had been catching passes but sounds like it has been confirmed.

19. Brando2101

Lots of good updates via Bobby Burton at Horns 247

It's not known if Fowler will make it to campus at all despite the fact that he is on the OFFICIAL UT roster website ;)

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Some practice notes from Day 1: