1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mathamatical breakdown of why Kobe's 31 points on 25 shots last night was not efficient

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 2016Champions, Oct 30, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I love how people are talking about math like it's some real thing -- there is no true math in the bible LOL... 'Theory'

2. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Sounds great. Good luck with the 0 championships that Harden wins for the Rockets. At least he is efficient.

3. slestack11

slestack11 Member

How about turnover plus/minus? You don't think turnovers play any factor in whether a team wins or loses a game? Yes, there is more to defense than just the number of steals a player gets...but that's sort of my exact point. When you watch the game on the internet and only base all your opinions on stats, then you really aren't watching basketball and are basing your opinions on misleading information.

But who cares about defense...I mean, Harden doesn't play any so why is that important?

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You know the two teams with the highest ts in the nba last year? the San Antonio Spurs and the Miami Heat

Who was it that met in the finals again?

5. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Harden is just the biggest offender, but the biggest issue with the NBA is the number of free throws that supposed "superstars" depend on. I mean, it's like a soccer match that is determined by penalty kicks. The NBA has become a bunch of player that just run into each other and then stare at the refs awaiting whether it's a block or a charge. Then determine the game via free throws either way. If this is the direction the game is going, then it's just stupid. Michael Jordan wins because he will be the last superstar that actually won rings by making real highlight shots. Yes, he got a lot of free throws, but most were earned and not flopped like modern players.

6. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Guys seriously, it's one of those years where Kobe is going to be a true volume shooter. Outside of Kobe who else do you have to carry the load? You have Boozer who's playing on borrowed time and your next best player is either Lin or Hill. It would probably be better if the Lakers tried to integrate Lin a bit more, but it's Kobe's team and they're definitely paying him for it.

The Lakers knew what they were doing when they paid him max money for those 2 years in the extension. Even with a healthy Steve Nash on the Lakers, how much better were they going to really be? They lost Gasol this past offseason, Kobe is just there to sell tickets. Who cares what his efficiency is? His team is NOT going to make the playoffs in the West, he's going to take his 20-25 shots a game, and he's definitely going to start complaining and maybe try to demand his way out but who's interested enough to pay him that much money at this point in his career?

7. slestack11

slestack11 Member

That's like saying the two teams in the finals are the teams that outscored their opponents by the most points. Yes, the teams that shoot better usually win. Captain obvious. But how was Harden's TS% last playoffs? I don't even know what that TS% was, but he didn't get his BS 50/50 calls, it must have made it hard for him to be a top three offensive player.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Well it seemed you had issues understanding that being more efficient at scoring helps win games, pardon me for mistaking you for a moron, but in my defense, you do a very good job portraying yourself as one.

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I a going to enjoy this year with the Lakers. They will Suck Kobe will be Kobe, and try to get a scoring record.

Also Kobe should not complain about the lack of support he drove Dwight and Gasol out of LA. :grin:

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

slestack is just an angry Lakers fan. No need to give a sincere response to his ranting. Just read it for the LOLs and move on.

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

slestack is missing a chromosome

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You explained why you don't like free throws: because of the playoffs. Why don't you like three pointers and dunks? I like them.

Morey has nothing to do with TS%. Mid-range shots are included in TS%.

This makes no sense. Since Frank Thomas "only swung at good pitches," you would like him also to swing at some bad pitches? You think that would help his team? What about simply not swinging at bad pitches?

13. cebu

cebu Member

The great reason is, they got another L.

14. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Seriously, we've been around this whole true shooting percentage argument about a million times. We seem to be arguing two different things. Yes, it's better to shoot more efficiently. And yes, the team that wins the title likely shot the ball better in the playoffs. My whole point is that I don't think a player that goes 4-18 from the field and then makes 16-17 free throws should be hailed as an ultra efficient player. And in Harden's case, I'm specifically pointing out the method he gets to the line which I think is B.S.

I keep pointing out that I don't like the stat because it rewards people that get to the line a lot. And yes, it's great to get to the line a lot. But I keep pointing out that I don't think the way Harden does it is legit and it's BS in my opinion. I'm glad he does not get those calls in the playoffs, but I wish they would change the rules to reduce the number of 50/50 calls in the regular season too. If the offensive player laterally jumps into a defender, that should not be a foul call. Hell, I wish they would just call less fouls overall in the NBA. Almost every game, the fans boo the refs and complain that the refs decided the game. That's my real argument. So in Harden's case, the TS% is a skewed number because of the method that he gets to the line.

15. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I don't know if you've noticed, but the Rockets rarely shoot mid-range jumpers. Morey wants them to only shoot three pointers and free throws. I don't really know how it works and if he just tells McHale how to coach the team, but the Rockets do focus on shooting three pointers and trying to draw fouls.

Yes, because Frank Thomas was capable of hitting bad pitches for extra bases. Obviously, not bad pitches in the dirt, but some that are just outside of the strike zone.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh...slestack is still whining about Harden?

This is new and interesting

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kobe sucks.

That is all.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

So you're saying Morey should acquire more mid-range shooters. . . .

The baseball analogy doesn't work, because the batter cannot pass the pitch/swing off to someone else. If you're saying Kobe's bad shot is better than Sacre's good shot, OK; it's a tradeoff--Kobe or Sacre. But Frank Thomas swinging at a bad pitch does not trade off with Joe Scrub swinging at a good or bad pitch.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This thread makes me dumber

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Fool, Michael Jordan was the first superstar to pioneer the "halo rule". Every superstar today is indebted to Jordan for the weak calls they get. You just have some "get off my lawn" bitterness in you. But I guess you're winning, troll, since I responded.