1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Projecting Astros '15 Roster - Advocating FA/Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by travfrancis, Jun 13, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Stacked how?

Pablo Sandoval is no monster, he just had a great postseason. Ortiz is getting old, and Pedroia is coming off his worst season. With Napoli and Ramirez it should be a good lineup, but it's hardly the 27 Yankees.

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Thinking towards '15 and got to ponderin'...

Would you rather have the following rotation moving forward or the pieces that we got in return:

Dallas Kuechel
    Collin McHugh
    Scott Feldman
    Bud Norris*
    Jarred Cosart*

OR

Josh Hader (our #10 prospect and live lefty)
    DJ Fisher (our best pick of the draft last year due to picks unsigned) - comp pick
    LJ Hoes
    Colin Moran (#7 prospect in our system at third which is a spot ahead of Rio Ruiz)
    Jake Marisnick (a likely starter next year and could be of great value in CF next year)
    Comp pick '15 - really hoping we sign someone worthy of losing this for competitive sake

To me, I am glad we made the trades and really think that Moran and Hader will make it look good, I just wonder if this rotation would be appealing enough in '15 with say a left field addition and bullpen help to make us reconsider.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

While I would consider a trade:

Craig was terrible last season and is owed a good deal of money
    Bradley has been terrible
    Middlebrooks has been terrible

4. HstnSprtsFan101

@BAnderson_30: Remember when the Astros and Lucas Harrell thought he'd survive in MLB...that was funny.

lol thought I'd share this

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would have kept Cosart and gone hard after Sandoval or Ramirez. Moran/Ruiz still big unknowns... and Correa is a "relative" unknown, but will get every single opportunity to stick at SS.

Chances are, at least 1 infield position will have to come from "outside" the organization... or be an established big leaguer... for this team to compete.

6. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If his account wasn't hacked, guy sounds like a total douche.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

So you're telling me Brett Anderson won't be signing in Houston? :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Remember when the Astros and Lucas Harrell thought he'd survive in MLB...that was funny.</p>&mdash; Brett Anderson (@BAnderson_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/BAnderson_30/status/537390738930417664">November 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BAnderson_30">@BAnderson_30</a> happy thanksgiving. God bless you and your family.</p>&mdash; Lucas Harrell (@LucasHarrell34) <a href="https://twitter.com/LucasHarrell34/status/537394826497753088">November 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

That is pretty funny.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

After looking at Brett Anderson's twitter, I think I'd avoid signing him.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

tweets deleted i guess. too bad, wanted to troll his mlb career in reply to it

11. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Wow, that was pretty unnecessary and mean-spirited. But I guess that just about summarizes Twitter to begin with. I know Harrell probably rubbed most people the wrong way, fans and myself included, but the guy is struggling to chase his dream, and play professional baseball for a living while providing for his family. Way to kick a guy while he's down.

12. msn

msn Member

This. Somebody in his life hopefully set him straight, leading to the deletion of those tweets.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Brett Anderson hasn't been able to stay healthy the last 2 years (~40 innings each year) and he has the gall to rag on Harrell?

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's actually a tough question. There's a lot of talent and upside among the prospects we got but none of them are can't miss prospects. Most of them won't reach the majors, much less make an impact, until late 2015 or later. Even moreso, most of them are really just depth and lottery tickets. We had a starting caliber 3B prospect (Ruiz) and high upside OF prospect (Santana). We didn't have a glaring need to make those trades.

Nearly 3 years into the rebuild, can it be said that those trades made the 2015 or 2016 Astros stronger? There's a better than decent chance that Norris and Cosart are worth more WAR combined over the next 2-3 years than that group.

I was happy with those trades but I'm fairly certain they set the Astros back in their goal of returning to relevancy.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Make it 3 years...the guy was only able to pitch 35 innings in 2012.

What a joke of a character, you gotta be kidding me.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And it appears you can make that 4 years after only 88 innings in 2011 due to Tommy John surgery.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Josh Donaldson traded, OMFG if that's all it took to get him it is inexcusable that we didn't.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

Dont know anything about Graveman and Nolin, but Barreto was Jays #5 prospect per BA. Also gave up Lawrie...

Not a bad price at all. OAK looks to have gotten rigged on this deal, I guess we'll wait and see. Would've loved to get him in blue and orange though.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

MLB Pipeline has Barreto at 8, Nolin at 12...wonder what the asking price was for Houston, or if we even tried to get Donaldson...

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

My guess is with Lawrie still being only 24, they probably valued him pretty highly in the deal. While we have two pretty good 3B prospects, we didn't have an MLB ready 3B with upside and the ability to step in right now and contribute, to send them. While they are dumping salary here, i'm sure their thinking when it comes to 2015 is to compete