1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harris County Cop Shot execution style at a Gas Station

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenDice, Aug 28, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This does seem like a very unusual case with some similarities to the DC Sniper murders where they shot people at gas stations. I haven't had enough time to follow it to see how strong the evidence is but regarding the suspect it does seem very troubling if as LongTime Fan described a typical guy just decided to kill a deputy for no other reason. This almost seems like there should be something showing how the suspect got radicalized.

Anyway very sad story and feel very bad for Officer Goforth's family and friends.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Can't they also use his cell phone triangulation to see if he was in the area vs where his mom was at the same time? May or may not show something depending on the distance.

3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Maybe the information is too old but based on the Serial podcast it doesn't seem like cell phone triangulation gives you good data.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If he and/or his mom had their GPS on and that data is available, sure. Cell phone triangulation itself based on towers is probably not accurate enough since his house is close by. You can get to a rough area and that might be very useful data against the story of where they were, but again, if they were nearby, it's not very helpful.

I'm sure they have various means to do their investigations. I hope they do a very thorough job, make a solid case against the right killer.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it depends on the phone, what software was running, and the exact area. If I was a criminal, I'd definitely shut down my phone.

This scene is pretty urban, and if you have an iPhone, think about how it locates you on a map. Right? Or how freaking Uber can find exactly where you are on a 100-meter block.

It's hard to believe the data's not there in an urban environment, if the dude had a phone.

6. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

If your GPS and location based services is on like when you use Uber then its pretty good but if its straight up cell phone service the signal bounces from different cell phone towers. From what I understand, when you make a call or a call comes in it goes to the first available tower which can be located in a different area.

7. B-Bob

makes sense.

whoever shot this deputy wasn't in their right mind, unless it was a contract job for some reason. So maybe his GPS was on.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At least one woman witnessed it, and she positively ID'd him in a video lineup. They also have video of him, even if the quality is terrible. Unless he has an evil twin, he's going to be found guilty, and they should definitely charge her.

9. axstar713

axstar713 Member

The original reports were saying the shooter shot Goforth 4 times but he unloaded a 14-round mag and the round he had chambered. Damn...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-say-texas-deputy-darren-goforth-was-n418856

10. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

14. Roc Paint

Rocket red berets?

15. Roc Paint

:eek::mad::grin:

16. B-Bob

Is anyone else reminded of those creepy spy movies where someone is subconsciously trained to respond to a certain word or sound and become a robotic killer? Then after they commit murder, they are all confused?

Emptying the entire clip like that, which is just video-game-like insanity, and then the guy not having a significant record of violence, and then appearing so confused in court, made me think of those creepy plot lines.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are certainly a few strange behaviors.

1- the execution style killing that seems to be hate motivated by how many bullets he used
    2- killing in public w/o regard to witness
    3- going home (1-2 block away) after killing; a red pickup is quite easily identifiable
    4- leaving weapon in garage

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Store clerk said they were both regulars...I don't think this was as random as people think....unless purely a coincidence.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey, lets copycat! :rolleyes:

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I don't understand these peaceful prayer walks, why aren't they looting stores and burning cars?