1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just a heads up to those of you recording, the high school (wtf?) basketball game is still going as of 7:12. The game is about to kick off on ESPN News.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yall's defense looks stout.

3. Buck Turgidson

Memo to JJ Watt:

*THAT* is roughing the punter.

4. leroy

From what they were at the beginning of the season, they are a completely different team. They have probably the best freshman defensive player in the FCS and the backfield has been playing much better.

Just lucky it didn't hurt with the turnover...

5. Buck Turgidson

Bummer. Lotta time left

6. leroy

Buck, I respectfully request you get the f*** outta this thread.

;)

7. Buck Turgidson

OK, dammit. I'm turning the tv off and headed out to the bonfire.

My juju is not strong.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Solid first year run under Keeler but those damn Bison.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Very happy with what happened this year. Coming into the season I think anyone would take a semifinal game.

Hopeful for next year. Really like the way we play.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: We can and should be the premier team in the FCS. We need to keep all these great Texas high schoolers from going to North Dakota. Sam Houston needs to take over The Woodlands; we need that regional support. Huntsville can be more than it is. Dana Gibson (Hoyt??) needs to be focused on world domination.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Agree with you here. We're all disappointed with how tonight played out, and it's easy to get upset about it, but when you take a step back and look at the season that was, it's hard to be too disheartened with how things ended up.

I've seen a lot of griping over at KatFans and from some of my college buddies on Facebook about the coaching being poor tonight, and maybe it wasn't great, but really it just comes down to NDSU being a better team. Plain and simple.

11. Buck Turgidson

If you want to make some money, ask me about the 5 to 10 bowl games I'm excited to watch, then bet against whoever I'm rooting for.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn bison did it to us again...

Sucked, but this was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year. I'll take an SLC championship and a semi-finals appearance during a "rebuilding" year any time.

With 20 returning starters next year, this is just the beginning. We should be ranked in the top 5 and a sexy pick by many to win it all.

Until next year, gentlemen......

EAT EM UP

13. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Who's hoping Colorado St Pueblo beats Minnesota St for D2 championship? I reluctantly will only b/c it makes our loss at home not seem as bad. Also knowing that CS Pueblo will brag about beating an FCS final 4 team on the road just as much as winning the title, smh.

14. leroy

Pretty much this. Johnson was just bad last night. He was clearly affected by the crowd and the situation. And it didn't help that they couldn't get the running game going. NDSU just shut Hill down and forced JJ to beat them through the air...which isn't good. I expect a big improvement from him next season. There are so many of the core players coming back that we should easily be a top 5 team coming out, if not top 2 (how do you not rank NDSU #1 every season?).

Maybe the basketball team can do well and get back to the tourney.

EAT EM UP

(Though I do pin much of the blame for last night on Buck Turgidson. As soon as he came in this thread, the defense went to crap. I might never be able to forgive him.)

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll be interested to see what improvements Johnson makes heading into next season as well, and I'm pretty optimistic that he'll take a big step.

After all, the guy came a looooong way just during the course of a few weeks earlier in the season when they re-tooled his mechanics. Given an entire offseason, you would think he could make some big strides.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Word

I pretty much said the same thing on Facebook

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wonder if we should go with Cole Martin and just use JJ the same way we used Richard Sincere during the Fritz era.

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm not sure Keeler operates that way. Fritz seemed to not make his quarterback the center of attention (not a lot of passing, run heavy, option game, wild kat, etc.). Keeler seems to want to win it through the QB.

They still ran a lot, but they also called on JJ to be a passer and get the ball down the field. I'm thinking they'll try to do even more of that. I think they'll have an open competition, but if JJ can progress as much or more in the off-season as he had during this season, he could be a really nice threat. Especially as he develops more chemistry with those big receivers, who won't be going anywhere for 2-3 years.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Blake Munroe â€@BlakeMunroe 13h13 hours ago
    Former #Kansas RB Corey Avery has transferred to Sam Houston State. Was dismissed from #KU for violation of team rules. #SHSU

Jim Thrasher â€@thrashman10 2h2 hours ago
    Don't know what Corey Avery did to get dismissed from KU. But his transfer to SHSU gives the Bearkats a threat no one else has in FCS.

Jim Thrasher â€@thrashman10 2h2 hours ago
    @SHSUFootball fans should be rejoicing at the addition of Corey Avery. This kid has NFL talent. That offense is going to be scary good.

Sounds good to me.

1 person likes this.
  20. leroy

Sweet!

Just thought you were posting so that the texas state thread wasn't on top...which would have been a very good reason.

1 person likes this.