1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The girl with the mattress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. The girl is right - the guy raped her

3.2%
  2. The girl is a psycho ex who is trying to take revenge

52.4%
  3. I detect bias - need more facts

44.4%
  1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

1/5 sounds realistic even for rape.

It just depends on how people interpret the definition of rape.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very common in all justice systems. If someone is accused of a violent crime, they have high bail set/are not granted bail. That's not presuming guilt, that's just a precaution until an investigation can take place. Not unique to universities at all.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm curious .. . . how do you define it?

Rocket River

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why not?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because she lied

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

After reading this thread twice and twice, there's no way she could lug around that mattress for a whole year if that dude didn't go full Hathaway on her.

#226 Invisible Fan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

1/5 is essentially as bad or worse than the rape rate in the Congo. Does it sound realistic to you that college campuses are on par with this?

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but for the record this was my original post:

which prompted this reply among others:

:/

#228 Northside Storm, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He did, but she asked him to.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

The only thing I've learned from this thread/story is that I'll never fully understand an Arts degree at a prestigious (and expensive) university.

Lugging the mattress as a protest, I get...but as your senior project for credits towards your degree?

11. Remii

Remii Member

Some guys get "Stop", "Don't", and "No" confused with "No, don't stop."

Too bad that same line of defense didn't work for Dr Kevorkian...

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't. I'm sure there are various interpretations of the definition though.

How do they accurately poll rape in the Congo? I'm actually genuinely curious.

Anyway, perhaps it is not realistic about 1/5 getting raped. But if someone were to tell me that I would not be immediately disinclined to believe it. 1/3 getting raped I would never be agreeable to. That just sounds ridiculous.

On the other hand, 1/3 of girls in college having been sexually assaulted since they were 14 does not seem all that surprising.

Overall on this one though, I would agree with ATW.

#232 DudeWah, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So he pulled a Kobe?

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, Kobe changed target destinations without approval. In her case, she explicitly (and it's documented in writing) came up with the idea and requested it.

15. NotInMyHouse

I'm not privy to the polling methods used to arrive at such a rate in the Congo, but it is referenced in a Slate article discussing this topic of rape on college campuses.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/12/college_rape_campus_sexual_assault_is_a_serious_problem_but_the_efforts.html

The article also discusses the shortcomings of the study originally arriving at the 1 in 5 number. The answers arrived at in the study are clearly questionable and should not be held up as fact.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it's interesting that the article you posted has a quote by the guy who did the 1 in 5 study who said

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

...Northside Intern faints. All that copy/paste work and now that!

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Until we have a consesus working definition of Rape. . . .. Stats are just noise.

I saw a article asking the question . .. . Should we consider lying for sex to be rape?
    I was kind of set aback
    But I have to wonder. . . where do we go from here.

we probably need to settle on a definition sometime soon

Rocket River

19. NotInMyHouse

But it continues to be echoed as if infallible, doesn't it?

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Feminists cling to studies/books/articles that support their positions/worldviews regardless of the quality of the data, and no matter how many times it gets debunked. Two of the feminists favorite stats to trot out are the "wage gap" and that only 2% of rape reports are false (which they then use to jump to the conclusion that 98% of rape reports are true).

The wage gap doesn't take into consideration things like career choice, it just compares the average salaries of full-time working men and full-time working women. The fact that few women go into engineering (for example) and very few men go into social work (also for example). When you control for career choice and other factors unrelated to sexism, the gender gap disappears. So outside of a tiny minority of jobs, a woman is going to make the same amount as a man for the same work.

The 2% false rape reports has been traced back to a single speech based on the work of a single all female unit in the NYPD that looked at all rape reports in their organization for a brief window in the 1970s, and has been repeated over and over again as gospel ever since. Somehow, with only 2% of false reports, rape charges are thrown out by police departments and lead to acquittals at rates much higher than other crimes.

Sometimes it is fun to read feminist tumblrs and all the insanity they spout on there.