1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Coogs beat UConn in basketball last year too. Lolz.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

but they lost to UConn basketball this year. Lolz.

3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Good one bro!!!

4. Nook

Nook Member

Someone reeks of loser.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Why do UH fans get so sensitive?

6. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

ItsYourFault. ;):p

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Add UH and Texas State to the Big 12.

Do it now!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

UConn makes sense. I've never heard of UH. Mwuahahahhaahaha.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a civil rights issue apparently

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Inside Cincinnati's bid to join the Big 12

11. Brando2101

Good find. It's hard to imagine a scenario where the big 12 expands and one of the teams isn't cincy. Breaking into the midwest would be great for tv and recruits. That 12th school could go a bunch of different ways. BYU seems like the strongest choice but another school with its own network is probably not the best idea. I still like Memphis but I can see the appeal of getting to TV sets in the tristate area with UConn.

There wasn't any big news from the big 12 meetings. The only official thing that came out is that all statements about the conference and expansions ill go through the big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. They basically said Boren talking about the conference doesn't help anyone.

Kansas State president Kirk Schulz, the chairman of the league's board, said the schools will defer to commissioner Bob Bowlsby "so the conference is speaking with a single voice." Is it better to do it in Applebee's, or is better to do it at home?" Schulz said. "I think we're at a point we decided when we have the family arguments, we're going to do it at home with the door shut. When we all stand out on the front porch and wave the flag, we'll all be in the same place

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...r-bob-bowlsby-allow-league-speak-single-voice

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Isn't UConn in because ESPN is being pushed to include them since their HQ is located in Bristol?

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BYU will probably never join, right? I thought the entire issue was sports other than football that have games on Sundays, which would go against BYU's standards.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The TV partners breakdown like this.

FOX = wants EST inventory, namely in the South, willing to settle for Cinci (Fox already has a crapton of midwestern presence with the BTN)

ESPN = wants CST/MST inventory (already completely awash with EST inventory)

If the B12 decides to go after UConn, it won't be at the request of ESPN, but rather in spite of them, as that move helps one of ESPN's biggest competitors.

It will be interesting to see how the relationship between the Texas blockade, ESPN, and FOX handles this transition.

15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

BYU, Norte Dame (they won't but I would love to see UT vs Norte Dame evey year), Cincy, and UH

Both UH and Cincy are growing and BYU and Norte Dame are big boys with good academics and yes that matters.

Somebody suggested Texas State?????? What's next ACC and HCC, come on maaan (in Chris Carter voice).

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Notre Dame is contractually bound to join the ACC if the join a league before 2027.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I read that Cincy to the Big 12 is basically a done deal and UConn isn't too far behind as the second team. Just rumors.. Anyone else hear this?

18. Brando2101

Where are you hearing this from?

19. Buck Turgidson

Nope.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Well an insider had a ranking order of the teams likely to join the Big 12. I saw Cincy and UConn were 1 and 2 respectively. I really think these two make the MOST sense out of any other. Really adds a lot of things as people have already mentioned. With Cincy, you get some midwest recruiting and TV, with UConn you get the NYC/Tri-State market which could be big for the Big 12.

I hope it is both of these teams.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=10249781&postcount=350

#560 ItsMyFault, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016