1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I love how the paragraph you highlighted to use as your point is answered in the very next paragraph you didn't highlight. Not playing big time schools then don't expect big time attendance. Memphis/Navy games were +40k, why didn't they do that for Temple game? I don't know. But I do know a Big12 conference championship game would be sold out, even at a neutral site; they found their way to the Peach Bowl this year in Atlanta. Even if Coog fans don't fill their seats, UT/Baylor/Tech/OU will anyway. I have little concern about UH getting 60k in stadium, my concern is how many times will other fans outnumber Coog fans and for how long? Build tradition & put a good product of field/court. Hopefully alum & fans buy up most season tix and it doesn't happen as often.
    As a Houston fan of all Houston sports I'm used to other fans in our city. I just try to ignore the negativity that were a bad sports town b/c so many ppl here have other favorite teams. Directly correlating with the fact Houston has so many transit citizens from all areas of the nation coming here in droves for 40+ yrs. I'm sure our city would be a way more awesome sports town if all non Houston sports fans left but what would our economy look like if that happened? Not worth it but we should still be in a P5 conference at some point

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uconn has been mentioned as the top choice for expansion, you can argue as a Houston fan, but the choice is made for money and the conference partners. If you read articles about the possible expansion, it's not Houston as the top choice, it's teams that are not in Texas and closer to West Virginia so that they could have a natural rival.

Houston is a very good team now, but in order to sustain the fandom the other teams have , they need to build a greater sense of tradition so that the alumni can fill the seats.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This is important, but I'd argue that it is more about pride as UofH has at least as much history and tradition as a school like Baylor, TCU, etc.

Anecdote: My family is having a home built and when I found out that the 50+yo sales manager was a Coog alumni, I was excited to talk to him about the football program and how it has changed.

The dude basically had nothing to say about the program today or anything beyond the SWC.

This was back in August, so maybe things have changed, but I'm hoping all of this "Htowntakeover" business will continue to build a sense of pride and help bring alumni like him out of the woodwork.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wouldn't UT/Tech and Baylor/TCU play every year if they are in the same division? Guess it would look something like this?

Red Division | Blue Division

Texas - Baylor
    Texas Tech - TCU
    Oklahoma - Oklahoma State
    Kansas - Kansas State
    West Virginia - Cincinnati
    Iowa State - Team X (Houston! lololol)

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Any configuration would have to have Baylor and TCU playing annually. The "God Bowl" goes all the way back to 1899 with 111 total meetings. The crazy thing is that the series is tied at 52-52-7.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is correct but the wording of your original post was kinda confusing.

I was hesitant to put both private/religious schools in the same division.

Trying to keep balance in all things.

For example, if team 12 was UH, I would probably swap them and Iowa State, that way each division gets consistent exposure to the Houston (UH) and Dallas (TCU) markets.

#486 DonnyMost, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  7. shsu33

shsu33 Member

This is all you have left as an argument and it's been answered over and over. Since SWC disbanded Coog fans have been left in limbo, many stopped paying attention. You know all this but continue to play ignorant b/c you know UH is on the rise and is going to be taking your favorite schools Houston recruits. You and others that hate on UH then say Coog fans after one good season feel entitled?! Coog fans are fighting for their rights to be on par in college sports. Entitled my ass, if their is any entitlement it goes straight to UT fans! Most entitled fans period. Some of the ppl in here sound like Gov Wallace supporters fighting to keep black ppl from getting civil rights. Were black ppl entitled when they started getting their civil rights? UH is getting off the ground after being stomped on for 20 yrs, the fact Coog fans are happy about that is not entitlement, it's celebrating progress.

2 people like this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

Arguing? that's you dude. your insecurity as a fan is showing hard.

UH has a recent track record during one of their best years with attendance that was even addressed by their coach.

You mentioned the stadium. That's not a big reason that the big 12 would choose Houston over the other schools.

civil rights? lol. it's about economics .

9. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I'm comparing the UH fans are entitled comments to ppl that claimed the same when black ppl were just trying to get equal rights. UH is trying to get equal with P5 programs. So I'm right on point with the comparison.
    I get that the Temple game wasn't sold out but Memphis/Navy were over capacity. Had UH played Big12 opponents, every game would've been sold out. You know all this already but just want to hate on UH aspirations, much like Giv Wallace did to black citizens trying to get equal rights lol. It's a good comparison not a great one I'll admit.
    Who's insecure? How about the ol 99er that continues to post negatively about what he feels is an inferior school so that that inferior school never reaches its full potential. Why wouldn't a person want another to reach their full potential? Insecurity, thanx

10. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure what the arguing is with UH and the Big XII.

UH doesn't really need the Big XII and the Big XII doesn't really need UH.

The Big XII has serious internal problems it needs to worry about and UH has other conferences that quite frankly would be more stable and possibly a better fit.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

UH loses out on 20MM dollars a year (that is then subsidized by the university, i.e. taxpayers) by being left out of the Big 12.

You bet your ass we need them.

Doesn't mean we wouldn't rather be in *any* other P5, but the need is most definitively there.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I also wanted to know from the UH students/Alumni their thoughts since you mentioned you were neither.

Civil rights? the Martin Luther King statue is at UT Austin.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

[​IMG]
    tinman-the George Wallace of ClutchFans.:grin:

What is happening to this thread?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Non alumni or non student uh only fans!

They want into the big 12 because they got a new stadium!

15. Nook

Nook Member

Does UH need the Big XII? I suppose if you think they are the only option.

My point is there are other options and you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

You didn't go to UH!
    The only person who dogged uh as inferior was bigtexxx. But you didn't get the dig.

Does my ut fandom tell you that the big 12 would rather have Cincinnati or Connecticut because they need tv ratings in that market?

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Nothing requires us to put all of our eggs in one basket.

Just because we need the Big 12 does not mean we don't also need the PAC 12.

Any of them would be sufficient.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm going to only trust uh opinions from alumni like you, not non student or non alumni.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think in some ways the Big 12 needs UH more than UH needs the Big 12 specifically. Honestly I'd prefer UH to wind up in a different P5 conference to hasten the demise of that conference. Right now the SEC has an in when it comes to stealing Texas recruits due to A&M, if you give yet another P5 conference a foot in the door the Big 12 will really suffer with the lost recruits.

Why join a dying P5 conference when you might end up on the outside looking in a few years later?

20. Nook

Nook Member

That is what I was saying......