1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard said he played with a torn MCL and meniscus in WCF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Would have to be. Humans can't walk if those tissue have a "non-minor" tear.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

No disrespect to Dwight... but he does seem to 'overdramatize' sometimes.... thinking back to "bone on bone" comment.... Props to D12 for playing through it - but I wouldnt get overly alarmed by the comment...jus sayin...

3. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

This isn't that surprising when you saw how he was playing before Smith rolled up on him vs afterwards. What's more surprising to me is how long it look for this info to come to light.

It's funny to think that everyone was saying Capela was 3 years from being 3 years away from being ready to play the NBA game, and now it's looking like we are going to rely heavily on him to man the center position to help out Dwight. Heck, I thought Capela was being selfish for forcing the Rockets to bring him over last season instead of stashing him for a few years; turns out that may have been exactly what the Rockets needed to happen. I'm super excited about watching him grow even more this season and hope that he'll play well enough to let Dwight stay fresh - and healthy - for the playoffs.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I seriously think Capela is ahead of Dwight when it comes to knowing where the ball should be passed to in a split moment. I bet you T. Jones gets the ball and scores an easy bucket during the final moments of WCF Game 2 securing a Rockets win if Capela or DMo was out there instead of Dwight.

5. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Damn when Josh Smith hit his knee.. it really did do damage.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Dwight Howard's knee issues, torn MCL and meniscus during WCF weren't severe enough where offseason surgery was needed.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/652494468696965120">October 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After Dwight Howard injured the knee, he used a heavy brace to stabilize it and played Game 2 of WCF with no apparent serious issues.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/652495279434940416">October 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

This board sometimes, damn.....is there a Pod cast to listen to? Maybe skeptics need to actually hear the interview for themselves. I listened to the interview on the way home and it wasn't dramatic at all. He played through a bad sprain (torn MCL) and some of ya'll say he is lying and others question his durability which is fair, but missing the point. We all remember a 6'9 250lbs human being falling into Dwight's knee....we all saw that. How would your knee hold up if a human that size fell into it? I hate bringing negative vibes into a promising new season. Nothing negative about this story and we should be saluting his grit, not tearing him down. Come on guys.

1 person likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

smiles too much. not tough.

my favorite rocket on the team, always ready for the playoffs.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

but dwight has 12 kids and doesnt kobe scowl therefore is a soft punk ass b****

****ing dumbcunt casual NBA fans don't know **** about basketball

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dwight smiles and ruins the universe. But this guy does this and it's all gravy.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

bone on bone.

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

He played well later but never quite recaptured the dominance he showed before Smith fell on his leg. Hopefully he'll be luckier this season and the Rockets manage his playing time well.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I remember the 'Capela is 3 years away from being 3 years away' guys - that was comedy gold. That being said, the pendulum has swung the other way and now people think he is better than Dwight which is just not true at all.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Dwight Howard keepin-it-real!!! ... ;)

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight plays with a torn meniscus

Arenas plays with guns

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You that was selfish. LOL man y'all think literally too deep around here. Capela didn't force the Rockets to do anything.

17. delta69er

delta69er Member

Didn't the Patman also tear his meniscus w/o getting surgery?

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Depends. I just tore my ACL/Meniscus/MCL back in July playing ball. ACL was a full tear, Meniscus was a medial tear and MCL was a partial tear. I was walking around after the tear within a week, but couldn't do anything athletic. Got surgery a month after the tear. The post-surgery period was easily the most painful/difficult time of the process.

MCL: Heals on it's own, almost always. Can "function" on a torn one, though you should rest it. Jumping/playing ball is pretty crazy on it.

Meniscus: Tears vary a LOT in severity. I know people who've had tears but went through their life but with pain in certain situations. It heals really slowly though, and a decent sized tear would need to be sewn up via surgery.

ACL: You can walk/function without an ACL, but you'll be damaging your knees and there's like no chance of jumping/planting.

1 person likes this.
  19. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Sure you can play on that sort of injury, but it would be very difficult to move quickly in any lateral movement. If he's just jumping directly up and down he might be okay. MCL's are involved with lateral movement as far as I understand. Good for Dwight that he played through those sort of injuries, if you check out all of the comments on ESPN and RealGM you can see plenty of people calling him soft and insulting him for not having a brain.

I suppose he still has a lot of Lakers and Magic fans still angry at him for leaving. Hope Dwight is able to stay healthy this year as well as the rest of the team.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight didn't over dramatize, the crazy fans who didn't understand what it meant did. All Dwight did was repeat what the doctor told him.