1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recap: Denver sideline guy on Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Mar 10, 2016.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I chuckled while reading the whole, well Elway will fix it all! He did it letting Tebow go... Then getting Peyton to restructure and now with Osweiler... Yeah cause Drew Brees is gonna fall in your lap just like Manning did after years of trying to find THE GUY.

Smh, what doofs.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

A lot of people from the media are criticizing the Texans and praising the Broncos on this signing don't understand any bit of it. I remember that girl Kate from ESPN First Take, said how the Texans made the huge mistake on signing a player based on faith while the Broncos were the clear winner because without Brock, they now have "OPTIONS".

But she's and so many others are not getting the point. Good QB isn't easy to find in the NFL. They are not readily available like so many other positions. The Texans have been needing a QB for the last few years, badly. Brock Osweiler is the best QB option available right now and Houston don't have time to wait a few more years just to see what's become available.

If the Texans wanted to draft a rookie QB this season instead, it would cost them much more than the guarantee 37 million to Brock. Spending extra money for Brock is a lot better than trading valuable draft picks for the top QB prospects, who isn't even a sure thing to begin with. Even if the Texans were to draft the best QB available in the draft, it will be years for them to be NFL ready and by then, they will be in the same position as Brock right now.

Other free agents QB like Fitzpatrick or RGIII doesn't do much for this franchise. Colin Kaepernick isn't even a free agent and will require giving up two valuable draft picks for him which again, will hurt this team more than it will help.

Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith have been keeping an eye on Brock since last year. Bill O'Brien really got a good look of him since the Texans-Broncos joint practice last year along with the preseason game. O'Brien watched all of Brock's snaps and studied him extensively this summer. They like his leadership and his work ethics along with his elite size and arm strength, and high potential to be a franchise QB.

Brock Osweiler is a lot better than a lot of people think. He has the same size and arm strength as Ryan Mallett but the difference is his throws are a lot more accurate, and he is incredibly athletic and mobile to move in the pocket. Brock is young and extremely talented. We just got to be patience with Brock as it will take him a bit to get used to the new system. But no doubt he's just as talented as the top QB prospect in the draft if not better.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Well said. Media likes to trash Houston, but Brock was our best chance at obtaining a franchise QB this year. While we're projecting his production and success into a 16 game season, we have three key advantages over drafting a rookie. First, he had 7 regular season games he started for a SB winning team and he was 5-2 against some good teams. Second, he's been groomed behind Peyton Manning one of the greatest QBs of all time since his rookie year, that is invaluable. Third, he's been in two different systems in his short career and has been to two SBs during that time. He's seen what works and what doesn't. He's not the perfect franchise QB right now, but he was the best QB on the market for what the Texans needed. This was a no-brainer and I can't believe the so called experts rating this acquisition so poorly. PFF called this a D-. C'mon, if we would have signed any other QB it would have been a terrible rating as well. I hope and pray Brock becomes the QB we need and he finishes his career with the Texans and several SB trophies. Can't wait for what's next!

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Vegas says it best. Accirding the Wynn sports book, we went from 45/1 to 20/1 to make it to the superbowl. Granted that's after all of the first day of free agency signings and not just brock.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The media is trash that plays with emotions to gain clicks and views. There's no reason to care what they think. Obviously, as a fan of this franchise, we realize this is the best move that could have been made - even it he doesn't work out.

I quit listening to the media for information a long time ago. Now, I just see any kind of sports related media as furthering my entertainment value.

6. conquistador#11

had the broncos kept brock, excuse me, had brock decided to stay, the media would have applauded the broncos for keeping continuity at the qb position, plus how elway christened him as a star in the making.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Media. . . . BAH!

Rocket River