1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets send promotional items to brainwash MVP voters - 2015 edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. onreego

onreego Member

To be honest. With the way ESPN leads the narrative for most media heads, the only MVP award James can win is the Finals MVP. I'd prefer that anyways :p

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Kerr is a smug, passive aggresive, twat. I am rooting hard for whomever goes against GSW. Let's go Grizz!!!

GSW acting like Ted from this Curb episode LOL. Embed was disabled.

https://youtu.be/JqrJ4wGid4Y

1 person likes this.
  3. RESINator

RESINator Member

Might have done more harm than good.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dude, stfu.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

so...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One NBA MVP voter switched from James Harden to Stephen Curry after hearing Warriors’ phone campaign <a href="http://t.co/LxqfzKTQgN">http://t.co/LxqfzKTQgN</a></p>&mdash; Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/595215439707254785">May 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  6. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Seriously though I think these promos may help but the fact that a supposed expert who watches basketball for a living can't decide on MVP through their own 'expert' knowledge is just sad.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Morey's "mistake" was catering towards the younger (players, fans, etc) instead of the older generation (media, executives, etc).

Kerr not only made the "right" initial judgment, he turned Morey's tactics against him!

This should be exhibit A if anyone asks why Morey never won executive of the year.

8. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

c'mon shasta, that last part is just nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I think the bigger idea behind these promo items is to keep your player happy. It's telling the guy that the organization has their back.

10. shastarocket

I believe its true. Exec of the year is voted upon by other GMs and Moreys rep isn't that great.

Good thing this award means nothing

11. houstonhoya

His 'rep isn't that great' because he's fleeced GMs multiple times and he is vocal about his philosophy and unashamed about his approach.

Not because he, according to you, mismanaged Harden's MVP campaign.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Morey's rep isn't great because he pats himself on the back way too much and engages in a lot of self promotion of his coaches, players etc through twatter when they have yet to achieve anything meaningful.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Actually his entire post is nonsense. MVP was decided very early by the media. It's a credit to James and his incredible season that he even entered the conversation to slightly disrupt the media's narrative and anointed choice. His season was so crazy they had to acknowledge it. Of course while they were acknolwedging it, they quickly reminded everyone else that even so great as it was still didn't trump Curry.

No promotional agenda had any influense either positivley or negativley. This includes the Warriors no-campaign campaign idioacy they didn't engage in while fully engaged in it.

14. shastarocket

Maybe i wasn't clear, my post was regarding Morey's perception around the league and the exec vote, not the MVP vote (which, i agree was decided long ago).

I mentioned his handling of the promotional items vs Kerr as an important example of why folks (wrongly) have a negative perception of him.

15. CertifiedTroll

I hope Morey lights a bag of **** on fire in front of Kerr's house.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

As long as losing the MVP race pisses off Harden, I'm happy. I can't wait to see him get even more focused on proving everyone wrong.

17. houstonhoya

haha you were clear and are still clearly wrong. respond to what i've said.

18. shastarocket

I agree with what you said, people don't like him being vocal and cocksure. However, my argument is not that his perception is negative ONLY because of his promotion mismanagement. This is just the part of the puzzle that people will cite and remember.

19. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Voters are not experts, Worrell is senile as **** and he gets a vote, how crazy is that?

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

From that article...

The voters that vote on this award are pathetic. Also it seems like the Warriors did MORE lobbying for their guy than the Rockets did. They had a freaking phone call and conversation.