1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game] Rocksmith 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 21, 2013.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeah, I can definitely play. I'm awful, but I still have flashes of brilliance. There's definite progression there, because of all the custom DLC you can get on PC (basically free songs made by users) I never have an issue finding something to play. At any rate I come back to songs I haven't touched in weeks or months and I'll find that I can hit notes I wasn't able to hit before, and chain them together.

There are some songs that I can play quite well and make them sound good. I've started playing around with the Tone Designer, and making my own "sound" etc. It doesn't matter how my day has been going, my guitar makes it better.

I'm strongly considering buying it for PS4 or Xbox, just so I can come play in the living room when my wife is sleeping (although she usually is able to go to sleep while I play). I just know I'm going to be frustrated at having a lack of songs, and I don't want to re-buy things.

Fun words of wisdom from Keanu Reeves' AMA on Reddit a couple weeks ago: Keanu mentioned he took a bass lesson from Flea, and the first bit of advice he gave him was to "Just play".
    I've been using that as my mantra, if I suck...whatever. The more I practice, the better I get. I also usually play with the intent of getting better, so I'll go back and replay a song if I sound especially awful, or there's a riff I want to nail.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

After not playing for a while I picked it up again this weekend. There's a lot of DLC I'd like to get but with the number of songs I already have that I can learn I can't really justify most of them. Which for the most part is a good thing since it means there's a lot of quality content for it.

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I'll be playing again now that's on PS4.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

The more the merrier. :)

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

201 hours and going...

6. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

Thinking about buying this game, whats a good cheap guitar for me? should i just go to Walmart/target and buy me a cheap one?

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Fender has a nice pack that includes an amp, guitar, strap and other stuff for about $250. It's called the squire affinity telecaster or stratocaster. Don't buy a guitar from walmart. Go to guitar center or something.

8. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

You gonna be upgrading to PS4/XONE?

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I've thought about getting it for one, I wish I didn't have to buy all of the songs again. I may do it just so I can practice when my wife is asleep, not sure yet.

10. RMGEEGEE

I thought I heard DLC transfers.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

From PS3 to PS4 or Xbox 360 to Xbox One, unfortunately not so for ze PC master race.

12. RMGEEGEE

What faction do you belong to? ;)

Referring to 360 --> One.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

All 3; I don't discriminate. I play on PC though, I may get a copy for my Xbox One, primarily because I prefer Xbox Live over PSN. I've also been told that Sony drops the ball on Rocksmith DLC from time to time as well.

14. RMGEEGEE

Sweet, I hear PC has some custom DLC.

Not sure if I have asked you or not, but how has your guitar playing translated when not playing Rocksmith? Do you find it troublesome that Rocksmith doesn't help comprehension of musical notation or tab?

I can jam out on Rocksmith and play pretty decent but I feel like a take a couple steps back when trying to learn a song outside of the game.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Just picked this game today on lunch for xbox one. Looking forward to playing this.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Custom DLC: yes, that's the biggest reason to own it on PC. The way I see it Rocksmith is training wheels. Just like the little fret markers they provide you with the game. Eventually it came to a point and I removed the fret markers, I simply play now. At some point I likely won't need Rocksmith either. I find it a lot more enjoyable to play with than without. There are times I simply amp in and play without playing any actual game within Rocksmith.

With that said, it's a lot easier to try out various sounds and so on within the game for free than it is outside. I have a multieffects pedal that I haven't fooled around with much, it's just a lot easier to jump in to Rocksmith and go. I do play with effects in game, however.

If I wanted I could sit down and try to learn one song entirely and then I'd probably be able to play it without issue. With that said I'm not really trying to play for anyone in person yet, I'm just not comfortable. I could do it, and I'm sure it would sound fine depending on the song I played, but I'm a perfectionist. When I start playing for other people, I want it to be like being mind ****ed by a deity. Ya know? :)

I don't think that learning through rocksmith hampers you, again it's training wheels and eventually they need to come off. I mean, Hendrix taught himself how to play when he didn't even have an amp. Playing guitar is very similar to martial arts; as much as someone may teach you, you really end up learning and developing your own style through your own individual journey. For example...I have a total boner for harmonics, slides, legato, and vibrato. I'm guessing I'll end up using a lot of each when I begin to make my own "music".

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Welcome to the club, good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!

18. gah

gah Member

I imagine it has been totally worth it, but can you tell me how much you have spent into the game with all the dlcs? How do custom dlcs compare to the official content?

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Too damn much. I think with all of the DLC I've bought I've bought the game at least twice. It has been entirely worth it. I also love listening to the music while I play, so it serves a dual purpose. Custom DLC varies because it's made by other players. It's usually quite good (some are immediately delete worthy), some of my favorite songs to play are customs.

20. RMGEEGEE

DLC for music you like adds a lot to the experience. Hard to beat that feeling you get when you're jammin out to an old favorite.