1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At this point, do the Texans just need to hope a Top QB becomes disgruntled?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is a fairly accurate assessment of RG3. The only supporters he has are the owner who he's friend's with, Snyder's puppet Bruce Allen, RG3 fanboys, and national media folk who don't watch the team. Redskins diehards and local DC media almost unanimously believe it's over for RG3.

I don't hate him and I don't think it's all his fault. To me, his demise was due to Ngata killing his knee, Shanny making it worse in the Seattle game, and his own stubbornness in refusing to slide his first year. Even though he's rehabbed to become a good athlete, he's not other-worldly like he once was. And without the read-option, he's just awful. The prima-donna stuff about wanting to be Peyton doesn't really matter in the big picture. It's all about performance and due to injury, he can't succeed in the NFL anymore. He has terrible pocket presence and terrible D reading skills. Under the same below-average offensive line last year, his sack rate was like twice as bad as Kirk Cousins (who is just an average at best QB imo), and like 1/3 the TD rate. RG3 also has the worst fumble rate in the NFL.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is a very good post. This is especially true now due to the new CBA. It's really been under-reported about how much different the CBA is from the past in terms of obligated spending. Before this, the hard cap ceiling was real, but the floor was false. Teams were allowed to give difficult-to-achieve incentives (like the punter getting 100 tackles) to contracts in order to fulfill CBA spending requirements. On the new CBA, teams have to spend like 97% to 99% of the cap at minimum iirc. If they don't spend their cap money, then it rolls over to the next year. If they don't spend it again, the difference will be retroactively applied to former players in the form of pay raises.

So now, more than ever in the NFL, it's about success in talent evaluation, success in talent coming to fruition, roster management, and coaching being the difference makers in team success. It will be very interesting to see how the next 5 years play out. Sure, the star QB will probably continue to have a huge impact. But for the first time in the NFL, paying the star QB star money will have a giant impact on allocation of resources, whereas in the past, loose CBA spending requirements allowed rich teams to outspend the rest and to borrow a quote from Casserly "successfully run away from the cap."

With that in mind, I do agree with the point made about the importance of the strong 2nd tier or, if lucky, 1st tier QB on the rookie contract.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

RGIII is on the block...

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

As I said, RG3 has been on the block for a while now. The only support he has from within the Redskins is the owner and president. It will be up to their new talent guy from Seattle and San Fran to be the arbitrator between Snyder and the coaching staff. The whole league doesn't want RG3. He brings Tebow-like baggage and a Teebow like skill set. He just sucks in the pocket and he's no longer the athlete he once was.

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i never realized how good rg3 was in 2012...

check this out

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2012

maybe bob can work wirh him, but i think the best situtation for griffin might be the cardinals, bruce arians knows how to work with mobile qbs

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Omg, do you not realize he has since torn his lcl, acl, dislocated his ankle, and is not the same athlete anymore? That was was a different player running read-option.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To get that once-in-a-generation qb, it's going to take another 2-14 season. The great ones don't become free agents...unless he has a career threatening neck injury and the next in line is Andrew freaking Luck. The good ones rarely hit the market. It's either going to be through the draft or hope BO'B can develop Savage into something more than what he's shown to this point.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Texans need to find an undrafted or low drafted smart winner. The key is sign a qb who is smart and is a winner!!! Winning, most important intangible of all. Texans strategy should be to find the next Romo (undrafted) not the next Luck which requires a ****ty season and a ****load of luck.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Do you know how hard it is to find a Tony Romo or even worse Tom Brady?

We tried that with Case Keenum already and you see how that turned out. You do realize Brian Hoyer was undrafted right.

In other words, you're strategy on finding a "winner" is much easier said than done.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For good reason.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Give me hackenberg instead of cook. And James Conner is the real deal.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You Sir don't understand the concept of Battlefight! Tis the Texan way.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, it's the Broncos' way now.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The virus was passed directly into the owner of this team. Kind of like The Strain.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The 1st half of what you wrote is absolutely why the Texans probably won't go after him.
    The 2nd half isn't.
    If the 'skins were to cut him, whichever team he signs with wouldn't be on the hook for the $16mill and the corresponding cap hit. But the 'skins would get no cap relief even if they released him. So most likely they'd try to trade him and have another team take the cap hit but one would f igure that no team would be stupid enough at this point to do that or do so without negotiating out that 5th year guarantee. So it becomes a question of how badly RGIII wants to leave that team and sign with a new team and his desire to do the 'skins a solid.

Huh? What current GM's and coaches did you hear this from? The whole league doesn't want him? Not saying that the 'Skins are receiving daily calls from other teams about him but if you think no team or coach wants him or would like to take a look at him and see what they can do with him then you're crazy. He wouldn't be the first below average QB to get a look over from another team. If he is released I would be he wouldn't be out of an organization for as long as Tebow was.

16. ferrari77

Lol man you don't know or forget how the Texans got Romo and really lucked into him. Good undrafted QB's aren't just milling about every year.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd like Brees but he only has a few years left in the league, they really need to draft one and enjoy 10+ years of outstanding QB play.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Sorry, let me rephrase: RG3 has little trade value and I'd be shocked if the Skins were to have any legit offers for this #2 pick: they're not getting a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th rounder for him. Anyone who lives or follows sports in DC knows that half the info out there is lies and spin coming out of Redskins park. Years ago, Snyder got pissed at all the bad media attention, so he bought ESPN DC to control the info. Since then, any official report is at best questionable. This is confirmed later on like politics when there's all these stories that other stations will report that the Skins will deny and then we find out later on it's true. Snyder is a dick. He canned a new show on his station this year before it ever aired bc it was hosted by a Wapo journalist who was critical about the Skins.

So this is a quick summary of what has happened with RG3:
    -Shanny trades a bunch of pics for him in 2012 and hides the fact that they're gonna run read option until the regular season.
    -World class athlete RG3 + Read Option offense takes the league by storm and RG3 goes 9-6 and deservedly wins rookie of the year imo.
    -Suffers a concussion and knee injury during the season bc he can't slide properly and Ngata destroyed him
    -Makes the injury worse in the playoffs vs Seattle bc Shanny got greedy
    -"All in for week 1 campaign begins"
    -reports of RG3 being a prima donna surface in regards to the access he gives his dad and that he doesn't want to run read-option any longer. He wants to be a Peyton Manning / Tom Brady / Aaron Rogers type qb.
    -Shanny wanted to quit in the off-season bc he hated working with RG3.
    -Due to performance issues, Shanny benched RG3, but the Skins spun the info and made it out to be precautions for RG3
    -Gruden gets $20m guaranteed and Snyder wants this QB guru to make RG3 succeed.
    -After the training camp, Gruden already decided RG3 is really bad, but has no decision-making power in the organization bc he's the new guy
    -Midway through the season, after things go soo bad, Jay finally had enough film to go to Snyder and Allen to show them why he had to bench RG3.
    (This was the nail in the coffin game...please read:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/ )
    -The offensive line hates RG3 and so do the WRs
    -DJ writes, "you can't do special **** with basic people" or something like that.
    -It's so messed up that the head coach can't bench a guy without the owners approval and without convincing him on film.
    -Scott McCluin (sp) gets brought in with championship talent evaluation skills to become the new savior.
    -RG3 in the preseason continues to incur the worst sack-rate in NFL from last regular season. The same offensive line gives up 0 sacks to Cousins the next week, and half the sacks to Cousins last year.
    -The game plan going into the season was to run-run, then play-action. It was basically the most old-school smash mouth vanilla offense possible.
    -During the preseason, Gruden decides even that won't work bc RG continues to just suck in the pocket. Everyone blames the line in the Lions game, then the film comes out to show that Lions D-line was playing contain techniques bc keeping RG3 in the pocket is the best strategy. RG3 injures himself by running into a sack.
    -There was no concussion. Follow RG3's quotes and twitter. It's all Redskins spin.
    -Gruden used the next week as evidence building to give to Snyder and Allen and finally show some balls bc Gruden has $20M guaranteed and will probably be fired anyways at the end of the season.
    -Scott McCluen is the final arbitrator and gives the green light to benching RG3 even before the regular season bc even he agrees that RG3 sucks.

In the end:
    I put a hefty bet on the Redskins sucking this year based on the assumption that meddling Snyder would force an RG3 start for at least 4 games before they made the switch. I still think they suck and that Cousins is no great QB, but at least they have a fighting chance now bc the offense moves with Cousins. I still don't think they'll win many games, but at least they have the chance of competing. With RG3, he's soooo bad, that you can't even compete. Just check out that Wapo link to the Cooley article.

19. ferrari77

No doubt, you're right. He has little trade value unless he really wants out and decides to make some changes to his contract and even then like you said, they'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder at best.
    I know about the ESPN radio thing and Snyder. If there is one thing every NFL fan can agree on it's that the team is an absolute mess ...... and this team should have been on HARD KNOCKS. It's so annoying, tell me who outside of fans of that team wouldn't have wanted to watch them on Hard Knocks and watch the mess that they are from top on down.

Also, shouldn't the debate about who should be the starter be between Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins? Are we to believe Kirk showed last season that he is better than Colt? All of them were hot $hit in the end but Colt should feel pretty PO'd. I guess Kirk makes Jay feel better about his ability to make big plays but Colt takes care of the ball slightly better. Either way, they're all turds and I wish we could've seen this "QB Competition" on Hard Knocks this season instead of our beloved Texans.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

RG3 !!!

Sucks