1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. basketballholic

I don't want him to pass out of the post when he's being single covered. The reposting you're describing is when he catches the ball a little bit outside of the low block. That's fine and necessary. But the point is...when he's got the ball in the low post against single coverage...he should force the defense to respond. Put the ball on the deck and make his move and either get off the shot or force the double and then pass out.

What DMo does way too often is catch the ball low and then immediately look for the open corner 3. That's the wrong play against a single big. DMo is shooting like almost 66% down there. A corner 3-ball shooter has to shoot close to 44% in the corner to equal what DMo shoots in the lower blocks. Now, if you take out all his doubles down there and just take his shots when he is single-covered, you're looking at a percentage in excess of 70%. And we're not even talking about his and 1's and fouls drawn. It's more profitable for this team for DMo to be taking shots at the rim than us to be shooting corner 3-balls unless it's James and Jet down there in the corners.

DMo has to learn to hold the ball and either force the double or just take the selfish shot at the rim after a quick post move instead of passing out early.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's lucky to have players even see him open in the post the first time around, he'll never get a repost pass unless Prigioni is out there. The roster has like maybe 3 guys capable of consistently making accurate post passes that have the offensive awareness to even see the guy in the post. Harden is one, Prigioni is one, and DMo is the last one. The rest of the roster are either mediocre to poor passers or they lack the willingness or ability to make accurate post passes.

3. TISNF

TISNF Member

I think Smith makes some good passes

4. Harden's beard

Big papa is a solid post Passer.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Both good points, Smith can be a very good passer when he's willing to do so but usually it's not going to be to the post because he'd prefer to operate there himself and Papa doesn't really play.

6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

What I was trying to relay to you is that the Rockets have a monitor at each locker in the lockeroom. Whoevers locker it is has their information on the monitor with stats geared towards them.. Even down to shooting percentage per each team in the league. The numbers listed on that monitor are things they chose for the player to see so he knows what he is doing good at and what he needs to work on-- such it has their shot heat charts ect..

I'm sure Morey has more accurate defensive metrics that he doesn't want to be out in the public where the media can see.. HOWEVER if that metric in particular wasn't decently accurate he would not choose to have it displayed on the monitor.. because ALOT of popular stats and metrics aren't displayed on it. It would not be on there if it were rubbish.

and thats what I was getting at with my comment

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

If it's all you've got, it's what you have to use, even if it is rubbish. You've got to have something on defense.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Come on man. Just accept your question was answered and you don't have to wonder about it anymore. There is so many other public defensive metrics they could use and display. It isn't like thats the only one available, that's just one they decided was worthwhile to let the players know.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's the thing. My question is not answered. Morey says public defensive metrics are terrible. Yet he uses DRPM. Did he forget? Did he think it would be too complicated to say "the public stuff, except DRPM, is still really terrible? Is DRPM somehow not included in "the public stuff"? Is he lying for some reason?

If you listen to his interview at sloan, he says in reference to defensive metrics "Yeah, the public stuff is still really terrible, and the internal stuff is better, but not, not quite to where you can go bet on it with your investment in players yet". He goes on to say they use them, though. Because it's what they've got, even if it isn't what they want.

10. moodazz

moodazz Member

Jordan against Noah 9rebounds in 1Q

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DMo - will have to really has to have good game against Mosgov

Rocket River

12. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

TJones is back, Smith became very decent player, DMO has been solid all year, the more player we have that can step up, the better for us.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does he use drpm? ESPN's?

Or does he use his own version?

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I hate to sound like Bullard here but damn Motie needs to go up and dunk sometimes.

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

FIFY :cool:

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I hate to sound like Bill Walton but, "Throw it down Big Fella!"

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't understand how DMo consistently loses whenever he's challenged for a rebound. He's usually taller, he's rarely slower than the opponent and he's almost never out of position - it's completely perplexing to me. But it hurts this team when we give up so many offensive boards when he's on the floor.

I think it's great that all our big men are working with Hakeem but it seems like they all (and DMo especially) could use some sessions with Moses Malone. Although I don't know how many players have been able to improve their rebounding significantly.

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

D-Mo is never going to be a great player, how can you be 7 feet tall and let yourself get bullied around like this?!?!?! All that talk about wolves and woods, nothing to show for it, SOFT!!

19. vinthora

vinthora Member

WOLVERINE!!!

20. moodazz

moodazz Member

WHEN REFS TRY TO SAVE OTHER TEAM, THEY ALWAYS LOSE, IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!